Looking for my first turntable

+1 to this, here's a gentleman talking out of experience. If you want something simple to play your records (fidelity not an issue) then Denon DP 29F should be good enough. If you are looking for pure old school vinyl sound, then vintage is the route. If you want to stay modern and still listen to vinyl, then go the modern route. What comprises your vinyl collection, new or pre-used? If you have pre-used stuff, you'd need a TT with excellent tracking capability. Lots of factors to consider. List out the following and our fellow forum members will be able to guide you:

1) are you a pure first timer or do you have some experience with vinyl (atleast listening experience)?
2) what is your budget?
3) do you own records, preused or new?
4) do you have the associated infrastructure like a integrated amp with a phonostage or a dedicated phonostage?
5) what is your aesthetic taste? classic or modern?
6) are you a guy that understands electronics and mechanicals?
7) why do you want to get into vinyl?
8) do you think vinyl will sound better than cds?

more questions in relation to guidance will evolve once you ideally answer some of these.

Just love the way Reuben puts this into perspective:).

Now, to add a few points to Reubens suggestions, I was somebody who was only exposed to Vinyl and Records players maybe 2 years ago only! Today after 2 years, I am simply crazy about Vinyl and Vintage players. But I have always been very very fond of music since my childhood and its a different nostalgic experience for me. I find analog to be pure and give me that live experience. I still remember I bought about 20 records and dint have a player and waited to get me hands on a decent vintage TT for a decent price. Now is when I start thinking of some serious TT upgrades :) as I believe this will be my passion everlasting to be...

Cheers and all the best.

Thank you all! If you guys have more suggestions of specific models I should look out for (such as the ones already mentioned), preferable based on your knowledge of what I may be able to find more easily, that would be great! I will keep you updated as my search deepens.

Not sure if you have decided but not so long ago I too was in the same fix trying to figure out my first TT. Finally bought the Denon 29 and have been having a blast ever since. I also have used a vintage sony, akai and a Pioneer TT courtsey DAD's friends. I still enjoy the Denon as it is fuss free. Of course you can not compare it to anything that costs 30000 plus.
My suggestion buy the denon, spend more on discs and if you get hooked buy a rega or a project Debut Carbon.

I was thinking of importing one TT trough a freind returnming from US, Project Debut Carbon . Any feedbacks on this, will cost 24K, it is more in India

There is some frequency issue with Turntables purchased from USA operating in India as our operating frequency is different compared to USA. Please check if it will affect the platter speed of the table.

Thanks.

There is some frequency issue with Turntables purchased from USA operating in India as our operating frequency is different compared to USA. Please check if it will affect the platter speed of the table.

Thanks.

^ That is right. We can convert the voltage requirement by a step down transformer , i.e..220V to 110 V AC, but changing frequencies 60 Hz to 50 Hz is tricky. An AC motor rated at 60Hz will not spin at the correct speed at 50Hz supply.

You will need a step down voltage converter 220V to 110V and a 50Hz Pulley.I have imported a Micro Seiki and using it with Voltage converter and 50Hz Pulley without any issue.

Regards,
Sachin

I have some tts for sale with 78 rpm incl garrard , garrard changer, Philips and dual. Pm if interested

For 78 RPMs, a record changer is the best. Otherwise you have to sit near the TT to change side/disc every 3 minutes.

When I was in Delhi, about 3 years ago, a lot of sellers near the Handloom shops near the CP used to sell antiques like clocks, showpieces, etc. mostly duplicate I guess, but they also used to have old gramophones & records. Has anybody have had any experience of those probably fake gramophones? And records?

PS: Not in any way advocating the OP to get one:D

My new Garrard AT 6 changer,brand new unused.

That is amazing. Looks like a new old stock. Now you have a job in your hands: Make a nice plinth for it.

BTW, if not a secret, how did you get hold of one?

That is amazing. Looks like a new old stock. Now you have a job in your hands: Make a nice plinth for it.

BTW, if not a secret, how did you get hold of one?

I will let you know in secret!!:eek:hyeah: Seriously this is plain luck. I was in right place at the right time.

Last edited:
I was in right place at the right time.

That happens rarely, while the vice versa happens pretty often: being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Some cool dude banged my car last week because I was observing phenomena no. 2:D

Seriously, the machine looks very clean. Has it ever spun a disc and has the stylus ever tasted the vinyl groove?

I some time back owned one second hand Garrard Changer but not satisfied with he performance. Now i got this one. Is this worth keeping? I heard changers are not for audiophile listening. Any views pls.

One of the other reasons I feel is that Mumbai and Kolkata specifically are very good markets for old vintage record players. Mumbai also having one of the largest Parsi population if I am not wrong. Parsi families are known for vintage record players.

I cant seem to find a single parsi family/friend here in Bangalore!

I some time back owned one second hand Garrard Changer but not satisfied with he performance. Now i got this one. Is this worth keeping? I heard changers are not for audiophile listening. Any views pls.

:D Lovely. If you do plan to give it away, I will be more than happy to adopt it. Ive got a large collection of very rare 78s and have not played them even once.

And yes changers have their own thing. Lot of speculations and arguments on these changers.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back