Looking for my first turntable

So far received the following
1. WD-40, thanks bhaskar for advice on looking locally, found one in chandni for 90 Rs, thanks recordplayer for suggesting this.
2. SHURE Cart

Still to receive
1. CNC, DTDC delaying
2. Technics headshell
3. Gram scale and spirit level

Can anyone tell me how you apply WD-40 can specially when cleaning RCA connectors? I sprayed them a couple of times and left them overnight in moist state and rubbed clean in the morning.

Can anyone tell me how you apply WD-40 can specially when cleaning RCA connectors? I sprayed them a couple of times and left them overnight in moist state and rubbed clean in the morning.

This is the correct method to remove rust from metal using Wd40.Please don't use it on any moving or electronic parts of TT.It leaves a residue which is almost impossible to remove after some time.

Regards,
Sachin

Guys problem

After. Mounted the cart to the headshell and then to the tonearm end, when I tried to measure the weight at the tip of the cart with the gram scale, I find that whatever be the position of the tracking force knob the gram scale reads 4.78 gm when the recommended weight is 1.25 gm . Can anyone suggest if the tonearm is bad?

y9usa8e8.jpg

neze5uby.jpg

@haisaikat: please share the step by step process you use for mounting the headshell and cartridge, and balancing it.

To rule out digital scale, measure different coins. See if it still reads the same for everything you measure or is it having different readings.

When measuring tracking force, gently place the tip of the stylus on the scale.

If the tonearm height is adjustable, is it at the proper height?
Is the scale at the same height as a record on the platter?

@haisaikat: please share the step by step process you use for mounting the headshell and cartridge, and balancing it.

To rule out digital scale, measure different coins. See if it still reads the same for everything you measure or is it having different readings.

When measuring tracking force, gently place the tip of the stylus on the scale.

@jls

This is what I did
1. separated the stulus from the cart as shown in shure manual
2. connected all the 4 terminals of the cart to matching wires of the headshell
3. screwed the two sides of the cart to the headshell approximately around the middleof the rails so that the front tip of the cart is almost at the same line as the front tip of the headshell
4. fitted the headshell to the tonearm
5. Set vertical tracking to zero
6. Set antiskating to zero
7. gently placed the tip of the cart on the scale after setting the Cue swtich to down position

I will try with coin and let you know.

@quad
No, i placed the scale on the platter and considering its thickness I think it is thrice to 4 times that of a record, can this be the problem? Also I think I turned the tracking scren at the end of the tonearm couple of times with full rotation. Is that fine?

You have missed some vital steps in the tonearm alignment process. Here is the right method, applicable for all Technics tonearms.

This simple write up will help you: Balancing your Tonearm for Technic 1200 | sandiegoturntableinstitution

You can search for Videos on youtube to guide you on this as well.

+1 to the above. You have missed critical steps. Please also ensure the Protractor is used for accurate alignment.

Another link with illustrations:

https://kb.wisc.edu/wsum/page.php?id=20270

Just noticed something in the photo you posted above. The counter weight in the Photo shows its set at 3.5gms. It is obvious that the alignment is incorrect.

Last edited:
@jls

This is what I did
1. separated the stulus from the cart as shown in shure manual
2. connected all the 4 terminals of the cart to matching wires of the headshell
3. screwed the two sides of the cart to the headshell approximately around the middleof the rails so that the front tip of the cart is almost at the same line as the front tip of the headshell
4. fitted the headshell to the tonearm
5. Set vertical tracking to zero
6. Set antiskating to zero
7. gently placed the tip of the cart on the scale after setting the Cue swtich to down position

Upto step 6 is fine.

Step 7: Place a record on the platter.

Step 8: Remove the tonearm lock and gently place the stylus on the record surface. Is the stylus resting on the record? Or is the stylus end lifted up? If the stylus is able to rest on the record surface, it means the arm is not balanced. If the stylus end is lifted up, then too the arm is not balanced. Carefully move the counterweight so that the arm stays steadily balanced without stylus touching the record. The counterweight must be moved in such a way that zero remains zero and not moved to some other value. The arm tube must be parallel to the surface of the record. When you achieve this, you have achieved balance.

Step 9: Adjust counterweight value to 1.5 grams. Use your digital scale to crosscheck if it is indeed 1.5 grams.

Step 10: adjust antiskate value to 1.5 grams.

Step 11: check overhang. You will need a ruler with 0.5 mm markings.

Step 12: check for null points using Stupid Protractor.

Thanks Reuben and Record Player. I will check this can re-post the results.

Just one question does it not mean that higher the counter weight value, lesser is the weight at the stylus tip? I took the picture when it was at 3.5 but even then the weight showed was 4.8 gm

Thanks Reuben and Record Player. I will check this can re-post the results.

Just one question does it not mean that higher the counter weight value, lesser is the weight at the stylus tip? I took the picture when it was at 3.5 but even then the weight showed was 4.8 gm

That I presume is because the tonearm itself was not balanced accurately. The picture shows 3.5gms however the weight would be higher than 3.5gms as the initial balancing was not done correctly i.e. following all the steps in sequence.

Follow the steps accurately from the links provided and I am sure that should do the trick.

Cheers...

Good news guys, thanks for all your suggestions. Figured out the problem was with the counterweiight. since this is an old TT at times the counter weight needs horizontal force to keep it moving forward or backward along the axis of the tonearm. So I had to ignore the dial and just use the gram scale and finally got a reading of 1.27 gm where shure m97 manual states that 1.25 i optimal. Also set antiskate accordingly. Used the protractor supplied with the cart and to my eye both positions on it looked okay.

However I need to get stupid protractor as suggested to ensure another level of alignment and also the overhang distance correction. Please suggest something here, may be useful links.

There is aproblem with the CNC phono,posting its details in the relevant thread,

Good news guys, thanks for all your suggestions. Figured out the problem was with the counterweiight. since this is an old TT at times the counter weight needs horizontal force to keep it moving forward or backward along the axis of the tonearm. So I had to ignore the dial and just use the gram scale and finally got a reading of 1.27 gm where shure m97 manual states that 1.25 i optimal. Also set antiskate accordingly. Used the protractor supplied with the cart and to my eye both positions on it looked okay.

However I need to get stupid protractor as suggested to ensure another level of alignment and also the overhang distance correction. Please suggest something here, may be useful links.

There is aproblem with the CNC phono,posting its details in the relevant thread,
Lovely. Some listening expressions please and surely some clear photos of the 3200 in action?

Lovely. Some listening expressions please and surely some clear photos of the 3200 in action?

I will post some photos in a few days, need to do some cleanup :)

Nevertheless in the CNC thread I posted this today, reposting here

It sounds great indeed my initial impression is with only newer LPs like lagaan, jab tak hai jaan and jodha akbar and there I observed that the lows and mids are more pronounced than their digital recordingd on flac on my same chain and is a vast improvement. Observed that there is a somewhere smoothening effect on the highs as compared to CD audio making them sound less bright but again different than CDs although this is more soothing to ears. Another observation (or rather perception) is that iin the jodha akbar LP I found in one of the songs there was a comparatively a higher than normal pitched male voice which at some point sounded to be breaking oe becoming harsh to some extent. Will give some more time to break in as raghu suggested. There is a very very low hum which one cannot hear unless he is within 1 feet of the speakers otherwise not at all audible at more than Even 3 feet. I am yet to compare in detail with CD or FLAC sounds with my not so great ears but will give more listening time and judge. The bottomline is that LPs are now enjoyable to me. Also my observation is that for some older LPs that have a noise appropriate eq control to be used in amp.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back