Looking for my first turntable

So should I be going to a shop and just ask for RG-174 cable then? Sachin suggested that Component *3 RCA) video cables are typically low capacitance and can be alternative as well.

Component video cables are usually thick. If it is a not a problem routing it through existing cable hole, it will work very well.

Component video cables are usually thick. If it is a not a problem routing it through existing cable hole, it will work very well.

+1 to Joshua.Component Video Cables are very thick,because of heavy shielding, soldering and routing can be very difficult. Rg174 seems to be another good option.I would suggest you to take your TT to some technician for soldering.It is not very easy to solder thicker cables.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi Amith Sir

had you checked this ? is this in Good Condition ?

Boyireddy

Hi

I have not seen the TT, i think i saw the pictures of the same few weeks back and i had some discussion with Mr. Kuruvila on the same. further i trust him a lot, he will not give you a substandard product.

I think it is too late to act on this, i am not sure if the same is available or not. you might want to check with him for the same.

+1 to Joshua.Component Video Cables are very thick,because of heavy shielding, soldering and routing can be very difficult. Rg174 seems to be another good option.I would suggest you to take your TT to some technician for soldering.It is not very easy to solder thicker cables.

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin is RG174 available locally in Nashik? I will try to find this in Kolkata locally. May be if you can name a Indian maker I can search accordingly.

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin,

How about buying one male to male or female to male MX RCA cable, Removing the connectors from one side and using the left out portion of the cable with male RCA connectors to replace the stock RCA cables. I think total expense this way will be much lower. MX RCA cable might just cost some 300 to 400 rupees where as buying separate cable and connectors might cost more and some more hassles also.

Just my thoughts, not sure if i am correct or not.

Guys, this is similar to what I have now, the 1st and 2nd items in this list

TECHNICS RCA PHONO CABLE LEAD CORD SL1200 SL1210 SL 1200 1210 | eBay

seems spares are available, but observe that for 1200 series they are selling with a small pcb board TECHNICS 1200 1210 RCA PCB BOARD+1M PRE SOLDERED RCA COMBO | eBay , wonder if that applies for 3200, may be Reuben can comment from his 3200.

Also are these good as stylus cleaners?

Antistatic Vinyl Record stylus Cleaner Fluid +Brush ACC-SEES APV003 | eBay

Audio Technica AT607 Stylus Cleaner Fluid, AT 607 | eBay

Another find, 10m RG174 Cable RF Connections | eBay is this the RG-174 that you guys are talking off?

Sachin,

How about buying one male to male or female to male MX RCA cable, Removing the connectors from one side and using the left out portion of the cable with male RCA connectors to replace the stock RCA cables. I think total expense this way will be much lower. MX RCA cable might just cost some 300 to 400 rupees where as buying separate cable and connectors might cost more and some more hassles also.

Just my thoughts, not sure if i am correct or not.

That can be done but cable should be low capacitance.Video Component Cables are of very low capacitance and also well shielded.You can use half length(3ft approx).

Regards,
Sachin

Guys, this is similar to what I have now, the 1st and 2nd items in this list

TECHNICS RCA PHONO CABLE LEAD CORD SL1200 SL1210 SL 1200 1210 | eBay

seems spares are available, but observe that for 1200 series they are selling with a small pcb board TECHNICS 1200 1210 RCA PCB BOARD+1M PRE SOLDERED RCA COMBO | eBay , wonder if that applies for 3200, may be Reuben can comment from his 3200.

Also are these good as stylus cleaners?

Antistatic Vinyl Record stylus Cleaner Fluid +Brush ACC-SEES APV003 | eBay

Audio Technica AT607 Stylus Cleaner Fluid, AT 607 | eBay

Another find, 10m RG174 Cable RF Connections | eBay is this the RG-174 that you guys are talking off?

The one's on my TT are the standard el-cheapo Technics OEM cables, like the ones in your first URL: TECHNICS RCA PHONO CABLE LEAD CORD SL1200 SL1210 SL 1200 1210 | eBay

Haven't taken a look at that area inside my SL3200. Let me look up the service manual tonight. Have it at home

Last edited:
That can be done but cable should be low capacitance.Video Component Cables are of very low capacitance and also well shielded.You can use half length(3ft approx).

Regards,
Sachin

You mean the yellow RCA cable that comes in the 3 RCA audio video cable. I think I have couple of them lying idle and I can remove one end of the connector for soldering my Philips TT as well as I feel the because of the age the cable is not looking good.

Thanks

Best option is to buy better quality Video component cable,cut them in half,so that another pair can be used DAC ARX03C Component Video Cable
You can made 3 pairs from it.Please remember soldering may not be easy as cables are really thick and stiff.RG 174 is another good option as Joshua suggested.

Regards,
Sachin

You mean the yellow RCA cable that comes in the 3 RCA audio video cable. I think I have couple of them lying idle and I can remove one end of the connector for soldering my Philips TT as well as I feel the because of the age the cable is not looking good.

Thanks
No I mean cables with Red,Green and Blue connectors like this DAC ARX03C Component Video Cable

Regards,
Sachin

Found this video on replacing stock RCA cables from a Technics 1200 and assuming that it will be similar for 3200 as well.

MOD#002 Phono Cable and Ground Wire Mod for Technics SL-1200 - YouTube

Well, I would rather stick to the stock cable for now considering all the hasstle here and only might change the RCA jacks for now. Let this cable upgrade be on the list for 2015 :)

Last edited:
@haisaikat:
Before proceeding please check what is the type of hole through which tonearm cable exits the turntable plinth. My guess is it wont be a simple hole. It will most likely be a locking mechanism to securely tie the cable and prevent it from being yanked loosed. If it is this type of locking mechanism, then you need to use a replacement cable which is of similar diameter. Anything of larger diameter will not fit and you won't be able to put back the locking mechanism in place. Unfortunately I did not take a photo, but I can tell you it is a clever mechanism.

Most RGB cables like the one shown by Sachin here would be a of a larger diameter than the stock tonearm cable. These cables are as thick (or thicker) as a pencil. What you need is much thinner. See the example of one I made here:

ba2c.jpg

First of all, be careful about replacing stock RCA cable. Because reputed TT manufacturers provide good cable. Most important part is RCA interconnect where distance of hot lead to metal case is important. There you get maximum capacitance. So you have less capacitance cable but high capacitance RCA connector then nothing gained except shielding. OEM connectors are specially molded directly over wire, look inside it from open end.

In past I used one lead of "AmazonBasics 6 feet 3RCA Component Video Cable". Its simply great and still in use, and I am not thinking to change it.

Another one is BlueJean LC-1 Cable with Neutrik gold plated connectors. Rean RCA/Phono Plug NYS373-* where * has following values - *: 0-Black, 2-Red, 4-Yellow, 5-Green, 6-Blue, 9-White
Look here sample - Look here - NYS373-* - REAN Connectors
This cable is PITA for soldering but once completed you are done.

If its Technics TT and to be used with MM cart then nothing less than OEM "Stock M5G Cable" from kabusa.com.

Last edited:
Well then, change of mind :) will keep the stock RCA connectors as well along with the wire, and stay away from "capacitance" :)

Need to find a more better way to clean them as they seems to be a bit blackended. Did use brasso based on sachin's suggestion and it did clean to some extent but may be another round of cleaning will be required.

Can anyone tell me if I dip the rca tips in brasso for a few hours will that do any good or bad?

Well then, change of mind :) will keep the stock RCA connectors as well along with the wire, and stay away from "capacitance" :)

Need to find a more better way to clean them as they seems to be a bit blackended. Did use brasso based on sachin's suggestion and it did clean to some extent but may be another round of cleaning will be required.

Can anyone tell me if I dip the rca tips in brasso for a few hours will that do any good or bad?

You can try a few sprays of WD-40. It worked for me.

WD-40, was never aware of its use, seems they are being sold on ebay India, can order definitely.

WD-40, was never aware of its use, seems they are being sold on ebay India, can order definitely.

In my opinion, WD-40 is very effective in its applicable scenarios.

You should get them locally as well. Try a hardware store in your vicinity. I think I bought the small spray can at Rs. 150.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back