Looking for my first turntable

The advantage of plinth modification for idler drive players is that it absorbs the usual noise created by the idler wheel rubbing against the platter and motor noise. The ideal situation is for these noises to be totally silenced so that the pick up needle does not pick up these and reproduces cleaner sound . Since these idler players have much higher torque when compared to most DD and belt drives, they deliver the music with better timing and this is why the plinths are modified. I just listened to Changing Times by Ventures on a Technics SL 1300 Mark 2 and the on my fully modified Garrard 301 on the same system. There is so much 'life' from what comes from the Garrard for the reasons mentioned above

L75s with cart usually sell in the 60-80 euro bracket on ebay.de (the ones with plinth may be more expensive, crossing the 100 euro bracket). Shipping is normally in the 70-90 euro range, so you are looking at around 150 euro on an average inclusive of shipping. Add another 3k to that for customs (if you unluckily bump into them) and you'll be playing in the 15-17k range with cart and stylus (and that too, for a 50 Hz 220volts model).

Paying 150 pounds for the Technics TT is, as ruthless as it may sound, a complete waste of money. If you are bent on Technics, there is a lovely SL3200 available (not sure if it is, now) on quickr, which I am sure is as good, if not better than the model you are targeting. I can vouch that it is good for sure, as I use this very model.

TECHNICS SL-3200 PERFECT WORKING TURNTABLE FOR SALE WITH SHIPPING FREE THROUGH OUT INDIA. in Mumbai Used Music Systems - Home Theatre on Mumbai Quikr Classifieds

Kindly note that I have no affiliation with the seller or any other related interest whatsoever. The only intention is to give you a lead.

Called up this person, it is still available. Just one question, are upgrades possible to this model easily like upgrading cart, etc?

Called up this person, it is still available. Just one question, are upgrades possible to this model easily like upgrading cart, etc?

Yes of course. Cartridge, Head shell etc can be easily changed on this model.The 3200 also comes with the patient technics S-Shaped tone arm.

Don't see too many 3200s coming around for sale!

Good read to understand how belt drives differ from idlers.

http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/22548-idler-vs-belt-drive.html
Hi Joshua,
I remember reading above thread on Audiokarma.Ak member Arkay made that post.He has good no of very high end TTs like Yamaha ST series, Technics SP10,Linn and 12-13 heavy platter Lenco.I once asked him to sell one of his Lenco.
He politely refused and said " I will be downsizing my audio collection further, I don't expect to be selling any Lencos soon. If I do sell one, it will probably be a completely fixed-up one, for a premium price.But don't hold your breath; I have too much fun playing around with tweaking these, and too many experiments in my head not to keep a supply on hand. But if I do decide to sell one, I'll let you know."

Regards,
Sachin

The ideas I mentioned are from Jean Nantais. He is the guy who found out that heavy platter Lenco idler drive turntables need high-mass plinth to drain the vibration from the high-torque motors. This is perfectly logical. The stock tonearm is simply no match for well-made, modern ones. So it is also logical to change to something better. Like many others across the world, I have proven for myself the truth of the above advices.

If you have the patience to lug your L75 to my place, we can do a comparo with mine (my plinth is massive and very heavy so lifting it is not possible). To make sure that we have only two differences (namely, heavy plinth versus stock box plinth, and stock arm versus a modern arm), we can use the same cartridge.

In any case, we can use this as an excuse to finally meet up (after the postponed meet up).

Hi Joshua,
My tiny inquiry has sparked off an illuminating discussion.

Even i have read up lot on the L75 including Jean Nantais.My question was whether you guys had personally experienced the difference.Now my doubt is cleared.Good to know that you have heard both the stock & modified versions.This healthy discussion has brought for me the bonus of an invite from a genius like you.We will definitely meet soon.

I already started the process of making heavy plinth for my L75.I have talked to a slate supplier and he is getting the needed size ( 3x3) from Rajesthan and the Birch Wood is available locally.Thanks to Mr Sachin for the plinth design.

In the meanwhile i have modified my stock plinth. I have removed the springs,now it is w/o suspension.

I got my Technics SL 1100 w/o legs. I came up with my own idea for the legs.
I used 3' nylon door stoppers and a used cycle rubber tube to make the legs.I got blisters pushing the stoppers in to the tube.:lol: I cut the tube leaving 1/4' at the top and 3' at the bottom.The extra 3' inch at the bottom i pushed in to the hollow of the stopper.This gives a very firm grip at the bottom and the 1/4' at the top gives cushioning.I got satisfactory result on my 1100. The total cost of the legs - Rs 50/-.:eek:hyeah:

I used the same idea on my L 75 with 2' stoppers. I fixed the legs to the MDF base. It looks sturdy. i would like your opinion on this.
some pics.
regards,
shafic

Last edited:

Any cart with 1/2 inch mount can be fitted. The tone arm is stock technics, no major mods required. The turntable in the advert seems to have a non-technics headshell. Ask the seller to provide you with the standard OEM technics headshell as it would improve the cosmetics. From my personal experience in listening to a range of Technics DD models including the 1300, 1500, 1700, 3300 and of course a lot of the SL-Q and SL-D series, I found the 3200 to be simple, elegant and spot on with its sound reproduction. Its very simple to operate and comes with auto-return (its a semi automatic). Although its not a quartz controlled model, the speed is dead accurate. An easy mod would be to change the stock interconnects, not that if performs badly with the existing el-cheapo ones. However run a good check on it before purchasing. When buying a turntable, its always a good practice to inspect in person, audition and then proceed with the buy

Shafic, The original legs of the SL-1100 had springs inside with rubber covering the springs if I remember right. Over the years, this gets worn out. I tried to replace them with very rigid springs and did not find the reproduction to improve. You need to experiment with such things to see what brings out the best

Any cart with 1/2 inch mount can be fitted. The tone arm is stock technics, no major mods required. The turntable in the advert seems to have a non-technics headshell. Ask the seller to provide you with the standard OEM technics headshell as it would improve the cosmetics. From my personal experience in listening to a range of Technics DD models including the 1300, 1500, 1700, 3300 and of course a lot of the SL-Q and SL-D series, I found the 3200 to be simple, elegant and spot on with its sound reproduction. Its very simple to operate and comes with auto-return (its a semi automatic). Although its not a quartz controlled model, the speed is dead accurate. An easy mod would be to change the stock interconnects, not that if performs badly with the existing el-cheapo ones. However run a good check on it before purchasing. When buying a turntable, its always a good practice to inspect in person, audition and then proceed with the buy

I think I am helpless here a it since we are distant apart Mumbai-Kolkata so have to trust pictures and intuition where possible. can you provide me a pic of ur 3200 if that is having a OEM headshell?

I think I am helpless here a it since we are distant apart Mumbai-Kolkata so have to trust pictures and intuition where possible. can you provide me a pic of ur 3200 if that is having a OEM headshell?

Hey, I'm sure some of our Mumbai-based FMs would help out. Here are some pics of my listening space and rig which I have posted earlier. Hope these suffice. If you need more detailed pics, shall include them as well.

http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-...ur-audio-video-setup-here-158.html#post507834

He stays near Dharmabad which he said is closer to Hyderabad and around 9 to 10 hours from Mumbai. Wondering if anyone can be near that area.

@ All - I am planning to get my first TT and would request FMs to kindly let me know if any TTs are up for sale ? Please help out. The only option that I have now is the Lenco USB model sold at Landmark Chennai which many of our Vinyl Experts here in this forum have asked me to stay away from !!!

@ All - I am planning to get my first TT and would request FMs to kindly let me know if any TTs are up for sale ? Please help out. The only option that I have now is the Lenco USB model sold at Landmark Chennai which many of our Vinyl Experts here in this forum have asked me to stay away from !!!

STAY AWAY from USB and plastic stuff. As attractive as they may look, they are, honestly, worthless rubbish.

This will give you some idea on the options available in the general market: turntable in Quikr

However knowledge of TTs is a must when setting out to buy a pre-used TT. You'd need to get someone who is reliable and knowledgeable to check it. Our FM hemantwaghe has a few TTs on sale, including a Technics TT. Why don't you ping him for a try. Technics Direct Drive is the way to go, you'll never be sorry and you can used it lifelong if you don't catch upgraditis :)

However knowledge of TTs is a must when setting out to buy a pre-used TT. You'd need to get someone who is reliable and knowledgeable to check it. Our FM hemantwaghe has a few TTs on sale, including a Technics TT. Why don't you ping him for a try. Technics Direct Drive is the way to go, you'll never be sorry and you can used it lifelong if you don't catch upgraditis :)

I barely rely on Olx & Quikr ads for any stuff which does not belongs to town of my residence. In your link, if you go to second page one gentleman gave ad about Technics SL1200 MK2 in all cities of India for Rs. 52000. Even he finds one customer among us, he can easily get away with money without trace.

So, I would suggest, do not do transaction without your or your known one's physical presence & do not transfer money through bank.

I barely rely on Olx & Quikr ads for any stuff which does not belongs to town of my residence. In your link, if you go to second page one gentleman gave ad about Technics SL1200 MK2 in all cities of India for Rs. 52000. Even he finds one customer among us, he can easily get away with money without trace.

So, I would suggest, do not do transaction without your or your known one's physical presence & do not transfer money through bank.

Exactly, the concept behind quickr and olx is not to buy with shipping but to contact the seller, meet up in person, inspect the item, negotiate the price, pay and hand collect. If you go the shipping route, without the above process steps, you'd never know what can happen. Interestingly some quickr/olx sellers don't entertain local enquiries. The moment they get to know that a local buyer is interested, they disconnect the phone and avoid. These are the primary con-men. Not that the rest are all saints.

Exactly, the concept behind quickr and olx is not to buy with shipping but to contact the seller, meet up in person, inspect the item, negotiate the price, pay and hand collect. If you go the shipping route, without the above process steps, you'd never know what can happen. Interestingly some quickr/olx sellers don't entertain local enquiries. The moment they get to know that a local buyer is interested, they disconnect the phone and avoid. These are the primary con-men. Not that the rest are all saints.

But tell me something, how is that different from our HFV For Sale section. I see many posts these days where people with very few posts or reputation points are putting up gears for sale. Even I got my CA AZUR 650A amp by posting ad as Wanted in HFV and I had to trust the person by sending the full money at one go before he could ship.

Has anyone checked with OLX and Quicker whether they will interfere if someone gets conned? E-bay has feedback system and money is credited to seller only if the buyer is satisfied. I have noticed that more and more such notorious sellers are operating these days in OLX and Quicker and it is a proof that these guys are getting away with it. It is shameful that genuine sellers and buyers cannot do business in these sites safely any more.

I've given up looking on OLX and quickr. Over the last 6 months, maybe ONE good deal/genuine seller might have come up. Everything else is hopelessly overpriced or is the same couple of dealers trying to flog the same thing over and over again at inflated prices. Case in point, the Sony PS-11 being advertised from guindy for the past year or so for 9900, when there are better DD TT's available from other sources people have posted here on hfv.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back