Looking for Service Manual for Magnavox CDC748/17 5 CD Changer

captrajesh

Staff member
I've acquired the CDP modded by Don Allen, who's said to be an expert modder from a NRI gent settled in USA few years back and it has seen little use. Though a couple of reputed FMs, showed interest in buying it off me, I had held on to it due to it's dogged ability to track and CD without skipping a beat. I had recently acquired some superb sounding DIY speakers and had set up a system in my Man's den at Kurnool with it as a source feeding a K-Buffer to drive the Speakers through Class D Audio CDA254 Power amp. I was using a Magazine stepdown transformer to feed 110 volts to the CDP.

As luck would have it, the power transformer of the CDP went kaput. On checking, we found that the secondaries are intact. Based on the suggesstions of the repair guy, I got the transformer rewound for 230 volts but to my utter dismay, the display of the CDP refuses to turn on and the tray moves erratically with jerky movements. As per the technician, the voltages are not correct and it seems we need to look up the Service Manual to check for the correct voltages.

I scouted the internet extensively for the Manual but drew a blank. Can anyone help me source the Service Manual. I'm prepared to even buy it online if some link could be provided. Thanks for your patient hearing folks.

At least 20 year old, so unlikely to find a manual online. I searched the Internet for information and only found a reference to one for sale, probably cheaper than buying a service manual.
Save hours of searching online or spending money on unnecessary repairs, you can resolve this issue by simply buying it.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Magnavox-5-Disc-CD-Player-Carousel-Changer-CDC748/1258246440
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnavox-C...116851?hash=item1cac055cb3:g:W5QAAOSw2VFa2oIs

Yes sir, even Balagopal who's in touch with the seller suggested the same.

I can't thank you enough for buying it and also organising to get it across. Can't wait to lay my hands on the new baby.

All the best Captain.

On the side note and correct me if I am wrong as I speak with half knowledge. When we drop the voltage the current draw increases so the transformer was probably burnt. Another thing I have noticed is the loose power plug sometimes damages the transformer too. So be careful about these things.
Regards.

On the side note and correct me if I am wrong as I speak with half knowledge. When we drop the voltage the current draw increases so the transformer was probably burnt. Another thing I have noticed is the loose power plug sometimes damages the transformer too. So be careful about these things.
No Hiten it's not "Half knowledge; you're probably right. Transformer hasn't burnt though. It's the fuse wire on the transformer which seems to have blown. I made the mistake of taking the advice of the repair guy to kill the problem once and for all by rewinding the transformer to 220 volts. :(
My pleasure capt... we have to wait till month end. ;)
Sweating profusely. :D

Whoa! These Whites are really great. The previous owner has preserved the Manual and even the original interconnect is intact.

You and your cousin are God sent in reviving my beloved CDP Sir. Can't thank you enough for the great help which I couldn't have managed to do.

The patient wait starts to lay my hands on it.

Hi capt!

Just received the CDP from my cousin, nice condition.... mission accomplished.
We now have a good reason to meet.

cheers ;)

View attachment 28451
Who's looks factory fresh. Can't wait to lay my hands on the beauty. Too bad, I couldn't make it this week. We have planned a ride to Shameerpet on Jawas & Yezdis on the occasion of Jawa Day on my next trip on 8th. Hope to make it in the evening sir.

Can't thank you and your cousin enough for pulling it off for me.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back