Looking for Sonodyne Speakers

mayukh80

Hi guys... have just joined this forum and would like to get your help.

I m a listener to rock and heavy metal music along with a taste to watch movies.

Can anyone out here help me out with buying some kick ass speakers??

Last edited:
i have got a 5.1 channel dvd player with me now... and am looking forward to start with it.

Will a budget of 30K good enough to start off?

Well you can go for the two front speakers first and add the remaining later on.

I have a MA BR5 and I like the sound. Driving it a NAD integrated. Should cost you around 35k.

Cheers,
Saikat

As an aside, why is your thread named "...Sonodyne Speakers" when you don't seem to be interested only in that brand? :rolleyes: Just curious.

Mayukh,

In that budget you can get yourself a pair of Diamond 9.5 and Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amp, if you look around enough.

Wharfedale
Norge Concerto Gold 1000

An alternate route would be to take the seconds path, you might find some really good deals out there. Can start from the classifieds section here itself.

All the best.

unleash_me,
I auditioned lower end Wharfedale speakers,they lack the low end punch needed for rock.
Also some Norge amps are little poor at bass part as per reviews
how good is Wharfedale 9.6 at heavy metal and rock??
have you tried the norge combo playing rock ?

just curious being another fan of metal :)

hey mayukh, you would need an amp as well.....so is your 30k budget for the amp as well as the speakers?

If so then consider the Cambridge Audio 340A SE amplifier or the NAD C315BEE (although the CA would probably be best for your type of music). These amps are about 16k. From what I have read the CA has tighter and more precise bass. Whereas the NAD excels in the higher end of the frequency spectrum and creates a more expansive sounsdstage. For music like rock, I suspect the CA would be better. Both these have an aux-in in front, to plug in your iPod.

You can pair this with one of the following sets of bookshelf speakers.

Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 - 14k
Polk Audio RTi A1 - 14k
Tannoy F1 Custom - 16k

Total cost would be around 30k.

I suspect the Polk would be best suited for your kind of music, but I suggest you try them out.

Eventually of course you should look at acquiring a good source as well, a good CD player, or at least a DVD player that plays audio CDs well. There are several options for this around 15k as well, which I can set out if you're interested.

i have got a 5.1 channel dvd player with me now... and am looking forward to start with it.

Will a budget of 30K good enough to start off?

unleash_me,
I auditioned lower end Wharfedale speakers,they lack the low end punch needed for rock.
Also some Norge amps are little poor at bass part as per reviews
how good is Wharfedale 9.6 at heavy metal and rock??
have you tried the norge combo playing rock ?

just curious being another fan of metal :)

Hello Kaushik,

Bass is a much abused component of the music spectrum imo! I, for one literally run away from bass heavy systems:rolleyes: But then, different strokes for different folks rt?:cool:

Now coming back to the speakers and amp in question, I have heard the combo of the said Norge and Diamonds 9.5 at a friends rig. It was pretty decent for the money- if I remember correctly, he managed to put it all together with in 20k-seconds. The 9.6 imo is again a really bass heavy FL and can satisfy normal mortals with its performance. Need more - why not consider the Cerwin Vegas;)

Cheers.

Hey Psychotropic,

thankx a lot for ur indepth reply for amps and book shelf speakers.

as u ended up with ur willing ness to help out with a DVD.... i wud be honored if u complete the lethal package for me

Cheers and keep rocking!!

Remember that DVD players are generally inferior to CD players at playing audio CDs, ceteris paribus. So a DVD player and a CD player from the same company, at the same price point, the CD player will do a much better job at music. This said, the budget options for DVD players that play audio CDs well start probably with the Cambridge Audio DVD89. It is a 1080i upscaling DVD player that is also a very good CD player for the price. It is available for Rs. 10k. Moving up from there, there is the Cambridge Audio 540D, which is again a 1080i upscaling DVD player, but with a better DAC. This costs about 16k.
(THere is also a CA DVD99, 1080p upscaling and similar audio as the DVD89, this is for 14k).

The Oppo DVD players are very expensive in India, but from the reviews, the Oppo 980, available in the US for 170 USD (about 8500 INR), is an excellent audio CD player in addition to being a top-notch 1080p upscaling DVD player. So if you know someone coming down from the US, you can ask them to pick it up.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back