Looking for suggestion on power cleaning

I also live in a 40 yr old Society of over 100 flats, myself had this problem. Take a bulb, connect as usual, then with live and ground, it should glow similar. Because measuring 3-5 volts on multimeter is problem. If your society approves, a grid of 3-4 ground installations would do a world of good, each costing 10k. My building has 8 flats and we got one for ourself (not allowing others to connect ;) ), after installation the vendor using his big meter showed 4 volts on the tip.
I doubt my society will allow this :(

I also live in a 40 yr old Society of over 100 flats, myself had this problem. Take a bulb, connect as usual, then with live and ground, it should glow similar. Because measuring 3-5 volts on multimeter is problem. If your society approves, a grid of 3-4 ground installations would do a world of good, each costing 10k. My building has 8 flats and we got one for ourself (not allowing others to connect ;) ), after installation the vendor using his big meter showed 4 volts on the tip.
My neutral and earth shows a voltage difference of 40-50V. Will check again once I've installed a new earth rod. However, it won't be as low as 5V in my case because our transformer is around half a km away. What is done in the US, where such long runs are also common, they bind the neutral and earth together in the main panel. This serves other purposes as well for them including making the same MCB/overcurrent protection device work in case of earth fault. It is only bound together in the main panel and not in the sub panels or any consequent point.

However, it won't be as low as 5V in my case because our transformer is around half a km away.
It has nothing to do with your transformer. It is a local installation, wherein a 6-10 feet pit is dug, coal and other chemicals and a copper plate etc are laid down, and a pipe comes to ground level from below. At the tip the voltage will show around 4 volts.

It has nothing to do with your transformer. It is a local installation, wherein a 6-10 feet pit is dug, coal and other chemicals and a copper plate etc are laid down, and a pipe comes to ground level from below. At the tip the voltage will show around 4 volts.
No you are not understanding what I was trying to say. What you are talking about is local earth. The neutral- local earth voltage should ideally be zero because the neutral is also earthed at the transformer. It has been explained quite well in this answer from quora -
Code:
 In a 3ph/3w system, there is no neutral, so the question is not applicable.

In a 3ph/4w system, the 4th wire (neutral) is the earthed star-point of the distribution transformer.

Close to the source - the transformer - the voltage of the neutral should be very near to zero.

If the load on the system is balanced 3ph, then there should never be any neutral current, so the neutral voltage wrt earth remains at zero.

If there are unbalanced (single phase) loads, then the out-of-balance currents need to flow through the neutral to get back to the transformer. The voltage of the neutral will be the product of the vector sums of the neutral currents and the resistance of the neutral wire. This voltage will tend to get larger as the distance from the transformer increases.

I do have a newer installation not far from my house with a recent local earth rod. The house one is 15-20 years old. I'll measure the earth-neutral voltage there and see how less it is compared to one at house.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back