Looking out for a H.T setup for living room

Thanks Amrut and Argho for your responses. Just checked Hifimart. its listed at 80K. their website says manufacturers warranty is available. Any experiences of shopping from there?
Argho - can you please point me to other retailers in chennai other than pro-fx? i saw a couple in google search. yet to contact them though.

As things stand now the target state seems to be this.
  1. Diamond Mishra for LR with Akaar centre speaker
  2. Sub (yet to be decided)
  3. 2700H AVR

Good choice of speakers and AVR, with the budget left you can get a good subwoofer.

Purchased stuff from Hifimart.com, Anil is a gem of a person. Nexthifi.com and avshack.in are good too. Get best quotes from online retailers and you can bargain from them also.

What would be the price for speakers in above configuration?

Thanks Amrut and Argho for your responses. Just checked Hifimart. its listed at 80K. their website says manufacturers warranty is available. Any experiences of shopping from there?
Argho - can you please point me to other retailers in chennai other than pro-fx? i saw a couple in google search. yet to contact them though.

As things stand now the target state seems to be this.
  1. Diamond Mishra for LR with Akaar centre speaker
  2. Sub (yet to be decided)
  3. 2700H AVR

HiFiMart is very reliable. I have bought a lot from them.

Unfortunately, ProFX is the biggest Distributor/Dealer in Chennai for Denon.

There is a small dealer in Anna Nagar. I had bought my current Denon AVR from them. You can check with them for a quote.

Raghavan
DIGITAL WORLD
AG11, NEW AG23, SHANTHI COLONY,
4TH AVENUE ,ANNA NAGAR, CHENNAI 600 040 (NEXT TO UNION BANK)
PHONE: 26221999/ 26210224/ 225/ 226/
MOBILE:9444003600

You can also contact Preeti Trading (Denon Distributor) and request for a list of dealers in Chennai.

Hi amrut
still oscillating between towers and BSs. the BS setup comes to 90~100K for speakers. talked some IndiqAudio owners. Will probably go for towers first and if i find sub is too lacking, may return and go for the BS setup. yet to be decided though.

Hi amrut
still oscillating between towers and BSs. the BS setup comes to 90~100K for speakers. talked some IndiqAudio owners. Will probably go for towers first and if i find sub is too lacking, may return and go for the BS setup. yet to be decided though.

Hi Aravind,

Just my 2 cents, your usage scenario is geared towards movies @ 70% and music @30% . Are you sure this is going to be the fact even after few months , asking this because I built my setup around a 60/40 ratio (Movies:Music) and now its 20/80.
If its even going to be 50/50 a tower would be good , since integrating a sub for music would not be very easy and would need specific sealed subs but with a Platinum Achal or Diamond Achal you will get a good amount of bass which dig deep enough for most music. This will be satisfactory for movies too , but adding a sub eventually would be mandatory to get the below 35 hz frequency effects which are critical in a movie and you will need to spend a fair bit on the sub to improve upon the bass you get from the IndiQ Achals FS (QB12/PB1000/PB2000/XTZ 10.17/12.17 levels)

Coming to your next question , if your movies is going to be even 40-50 % its absolutely neccesary to invest in an AVR and a good 5.1 setup to get the best experience. A 2.0 stereo setup will be above average at best and lot less engaging than a 5.1 setup, you can always get a good stereo amp and a switch (locally made or Amit also makes these) to have a seperate setup for music using the same speakers if you feel the need for.

Best would be to start with a AVR , Towers/Bookshelf as per your usage scenario , a Center channel and then invest in a subwoofer , finally get surrounds.

Hi Aravind,

Just my 2 cents, your usage scenario is geared towards movies @ 70% and music @30% . Are you sure this is going to be the fact even after few months , asking this because I built my setup around a 60/40 ratio (Movies:Music) and now its 20/80.
If its even going to be 50/50 a tower would be good , since integrating a sub for music would not be very easy and would need specific sealed subs but with a Platinum Achal or Diamond Achal you will get a good amount of bass which dig deep enough for most music. This will be satisfactory for movies too , but adding a sub eventually would be mandatory to get the below 35 hz frequency effects which are critical in a movie and you will need to spend a fair bit on the sub to improve upon the bass you get from the IndiQ Achals FS (QB12/PB1000/PB2000/XTZ 10.17/12.17 levels)

Coming to your next question , if your movies is going to be even 40-50 % its absolutely neccesary to invest in an AVR and a good 5.1 setup to get the best experience. A 2.0 stereo setup will be above average at best and lot less engaging than a 5.1 setup, you can always get a good stereo amp and a switch (locally made or Amit also makes these) to have a seperate setup for music using the same speakers if you feel the need for.

Best would be to start with a AVR , Towers/Bookshelf as per your usage scenario , a Center channel and then invest in a subwoofer , finally get surrounds.
HI Flux
thanks so much for your suggestions. going by what i see in the forums i'm thinking that 70-30 is going to change more in favor of music. Hence it would be a good thing to start with towers i guess. I was given to understand that with Achals there would not be a need for centers since the towers provide phantom centers. is it not the case? if yes then i have to go in for a separate center channel even in the 2.0 setup?.
from your response i understand that towers would be good for music and satisfactory for movies which i'm fine with. with an AVR in place, i think i can slowly build the setup with the target state being 5.1 with towers, centres, surrounds and sub for movies and the towers with switch and amp for music. with the music setup my target state just got costlier but then that is fine since its in the future.
so the 2.0 would be Denon 2700H, platinum achals. should i get a center for this is the open question i have.
thanks

HI Flux
thanks so much for your suggestions. going by what i see in the forums i'm thinking that 70-30 is going to change more in favor of music. Hence it would be a good thing to start with towers i guess. I was given to understand that with Achals there would not be a need for centers since the towers provide phantom centers. is it not the case? if yes then i have to go in for a separate center channel even in the 2.0 setup?.
from your response i understand that towers would be good for music and satisfactory for movies which i'm fine with. with an AVR in place, i think i can slowly build the setup with the target state being 5.1 with towers, centres, surrounds and sub for movies and the towers with switch and amp for music. with the music setup my target state just got costlier but then that is fine since its in the future.
so the 2.0 would be Denon 2700H, platinum achals. should i get a center for this is the open question i have.
thanks
@sesharavind, after using their platinum achals for more than 6 months, I can say they have a very good center image so getting a centre channel immediately is not required and you can utilise the amount for getting something else. Having said that, if you have a budget for centre, go for it.

I would suggest the following:

Get a decent AVR like x2700,
Get Floorstanding speakers from IndiaqAudio
Skip the center and subwoofer for now,
In a month or two when the speakers open up add a subwoofer. ( you could start saving for some good subs)
Down the road add surrounds and centre speaker.

HI Flux
thanks

Center imaging is good with the achals and can be used in lieu of a center to start with. However it cannot substitute a good center , 5.1 output is designed to utilize center the most with L/R being utilized for moving scenes/dialogs so forth and adds to the experience. You can certainly skip the center now and plan for it later.

@sesharavind, after using their platinum achals for more than 6 months, I can say they have a very good center image so getting a centre channel immediately is not required

A good phantom center image is necessary, but not sufficient, to rule out a dedicated center. Unless the OP watches movies alone. The wider the seating area, the more critical a dedicated center becomes.

A good phantom center image is necessary, but not sufficient, to rule out a dedicated center. Unless the OP watches movies alone. The wider the seating area, the more critical a dedicated center becomes.
our seating area is not wide LFL. and the speakers would be 6~8 feet apart at the max.
I personally feel, for the home theatre movie experience, a sub is essential.
Yes Sir. but out of my budget as of now since i gather a good sub will cost in the range of ~35K. so have to live without one for now.

i'm getting some quotes for the AVR. I feel that the local dealers have to get the stock from someone else and hence there is a markup in price due to that. Lets see where it lands. Will there be any connecting wires, jacks etc that I need to buy? if yes, any recommendations for that? I dont want to cut corners in this area.
Center imaging is good with the achals and can be used in lieu of a center to start with. However it cannot substitute a good center , 5.1 output is designed to utilize center the most with L/R being utilized for moving scenes/dialogs so forth and adds to the experience. You can certainly skip the center now and plan for it later.
Sure Flux.
I would suggest the following:

Get a decent AVR like x2700,
Get Floorstanding speakers from IndiaqAudio
Skip the center and subwoofer for now,
In a month or two when the speakers open up add a subwoofer. ( you could start saving for some good subs)
Down the road add surrounds and centre speaker.
I think this is the route i would be taking Amrut.
@sesharavind, after using their platinum achals for more than 6 months, I can say they have a very good center image so getting a centre channel immediately is not required and you can utilise the amount for getting something else. Having said that, if you have a budget for centre, go for it.
No budget Pratyush. so No centers for now. are you using the achals as part of a 5.1 setup or a 2.1 setup? how has been your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
No budget Pratyush. so No centers for now. are you using the achals as part of a 5.1 setup or a 2.1 setup? how has been your experience?
Achals are in 2.0 setup paired with their gold Saptak as I am into music. The experience has been extremely nice. Vocals, highs, bass are top notch. I auditioned KEF 950, concept 40, 3050i, MA before buying Achals. Have read lot of reviews where they paired equally well with AVRs too. Bottom line, Invest in a good AVR and go for Platinums later when budget allows, go for a sub and then center

I personally feel, for the home theatre movie experience, a sub is essential.
Completely agree.

AVR are electronics and they fade fast, way faster than speakers. I feel, invest in good speakers, and take an entry level 5.1 AVR such as Denon 550 BT, or even consider a preloved one. Once, 5.1 has reached then consider upgrading the AVR.

our seating area is not wide LFL. and the speakers would be 6~8 feet apart at the max.

Even at that range, I'd suggest a dedicated center. HST, a 2.1 setup is likely to sound better for movies than a 3.0 setup (assuming that you're willing to trade-off dialogue anchored by the center for some oomph in the action sequences). My response was geared more towards the suggestion that a good phantom center image was all that was necessary to skip a center.

Setting up a HT, like any other discretionary purchase decision, is really an exercise in trade-offs. If you know what you're either getting or giving up, it is far easier to decide if you wish to do so.

Agree that a 2.1 will sound far better than a 3.0 for movies.

Also, for a HT setup, within budgetary constraints, a pair of bookshelves and a sub, is a far better combo than a pair of floor standers without a sub.
Floor standers (no matter how good), will not provide all the base required for a movie sound track.

For indiqaudio platinum achal owner FM's - how is it different from q acoustics 3050i or elac debut tower speakers? I got an offer for both for 56k and 67 k respectively. Can you please share your opinions?

For indiqaudio platinum achal owner FM's - how is it different from q acoustics 3050i or elac debut tower speakers? I got an offer for both for 56k and 67 k respectively. Can you please share your opinions?
After owning Elac FS for about 3 years and auditioning 3050i and now owning Indiq platinum Achal, I can say safely that Achal's have great vocals, soundstage, warmth and the balance. I extensively auditioned Qacoustics, monitor audio and kef's before going in for IndiqAudio. You can go with them eyes closed.

After owning Elac FS for about 3 years and auditioning 3050i and now owning Indiq platinum Achal, I can say safely that Achal's have great vocals, soundstage, warmth and the balance. I extensively auditioned Qacoustics, monitor audio and kef's before going in for IndiqAudio. You can go with them eyes closed.
Thanks pratyush.i have already ordered them. But the price difference made me ask that question.

Hey! While they are good speakers, you can’t really compare the Achal’s to 3050i or the Elac. The Achal’s compete with much higher bracket. If you really want to compare the Achal’s then you gotta compare with speakers >1.5L range. Bare minimum that can come close to the Achal’s on Mids and Highs are Concept 40’s and something that’s very close competitor to it are like the Focal’s, SVS Ultra series towers, Paradigm Monitor SE8000 series and so on. Infact the Achal’s are much better than the Focal Chora and very close to likes of Focal Aria.

Regards,
Som

Hey! While they are good speakers, you can’t really compare the Achal’s to 3050i or the Elac. The Achal’s compete with much higher bracket. If you really want to compare the Achal’s then you gotta compare with speakers >1.5L range. Bare minimum that can come close to the Achal’s on Mids and Highs are Concept 40’s and something that’s very close competitor to it are like the Focal’s, SVS Ultra series towers, Paradigm Monitor SE8000 series and so on. Infact the Achal’s are much better than the Focal Chora and very close to likes of Focal Aria.

Regards,
Som
Thanks Som.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back