Looking to purchase speakers for under 20k

Hi, I have signed up for some credible advice on speakers which is simply unavaible in the mainstream in this country. Rather than star a new thread, I thought it better to add to this.

I have a similar requirement to the OP, but I will add a few points.

1) I want a 2.0 powered system, (2.1 will also do) no amps just plug & play

2) They must sound LOADS better than Bose 'Signature' Sound
I have owned Bose Companion 5 for years, back when they cost ?24K. Moving from TV speakers they sounded great, but I grew increasingsingly dissatisfied with them over time. Now when I walk into the Bose store at Connaught Place, I am appalled at how they extort people for basically average sounding speakers, that look great btw, are durable and super convenient. Neither is the bass great(and I dont prefer thumps tbh) nor are the mid highs of any note. The vocals especially sound so disappointing...

3) My primary requirement is Music, then some gaming, TV & Movies.
I know for sure that a reasonably priced stereo system sounds better & clearer for music(or anything really) than a surround system that may even be more expensive.
I bought about 6 years ago Harman Kardon HKTS 60 & AVR 255 for a combined ?85K (damn). Now those were powerful, room rocking, house moving even, but clear they weren't, especially the clarity that I have come to appreciate. Bass heads would say I am an idiot. Also movie buffs who particularly like the theatre like experience of surround sound would smirk. The thing though is, people certainly all I know listen to more music than movies. I especially crave beautiful music to make me smile more than surround sound effects to thrill, otherwise only felt in a theatre. And for music surround simply doesnt cut it, reason fatigue - I hated those HKs towards the end, at low mid volume, which was tolerable for hours without headache, their average music quality was exposed. I had to crank them upto 70% volume at least for a satisfying experience, which was of course not sustainable.

4) I would be really happy if someone could suggest something comparable to Audioengine, not as good, but in the same league maybe.
Last year I was lucky enough for my sister to bring Audioengine A5+ from the US, but the luck qucikly ran out. I listened to them for barely 2 days before they inexplicably went dead, cannot power them on, no idea how to get them repaired in India. They have many months warranty still but noones going to US anytime soon. The sound they produced however was utter bliss. I doubt if I will ever get to hear that on a consistent basis ever again. Listening to Pink Floyd at high volumes for 2 days, and suddenly to find they dont work anymore - shattering.

So can anyone suggest me something considering the above points. I will be grateful. Price range ?20K to ?40K but only if its really worth.

Hi, I have signed up for some credible advice on speakers which is simply unavaible in the mainstream in this country. Rather than star a new thread, I thought it better to add to this.

I have a similar requirement to the OP, but I will add a few points.

1) I want a 2.0 powered system, (2.1 will also do) no amps just plug & play

2) They must sound LOADS better than Bose 'Signature' Sound
I have owned Bose Companion 5 for years, back when they cost ?24K. Moving from TV speakers they sounded great, but I grew increasingsingly dissatisfied with them over time. Now when I walk into the Bose store at Connaught Place, I am appalled at how they extort people for basically average sounding speakers, that look great btw, are durable and super convenient. Neither is the bass great(and I dont prefer thumps tbh) nor are the mid highs of any note. The vocals especially sound so disappointing...

3) My primary requirement is Music, then some gaming, TV & Movies.
I know for sure that a reasonably priced stereo system sounds better & clearer for music(or anything really) than a surround system that may even be more expensive.
I bought about 6 years ago Harman Kardon HKTS 60 & AVR 255 for a combined ?85K (damn). Now those were powerful, room rocking, house moving even, but clear they weren't, especially the clarity that I have come to appreciate. Bass heads would say I am an idiot. Also movie buffs who particularly like the theatre like experience of surround sound would smirk. The thing though is, people certainly all I know listen to more music than movies. I especially crave beautiful music to make me smile more than surround sound effects to thrill, otherwise only felt in a theatre. And for music surround simply doesnt cut it, reason fatigue - I hated those HKs towards the end, at low mid volume, which was tolerable for hours without headache, their average music quality was exposed. I had to crank them upto 70% volume at least for a satisfying experience, which was of course not sustainable.

4) I would be really happy if someone could suggest something comparable to Audioengine, not as good, but in the same league maybe.
Last year I was lucky enough for my sister to bring Audioengine A5+ from the US, but the luck qucikly ran out. I listened to them for barely 2 days before they inexplicably went dead, cannot power them on, no idea how to get them repaired in India. They have many months warranty still but noones going to US anytime soon. The sound they produced however was utter bliss. I doubt if I will ever get to hear that on a consistent basis ever again. Listening to Pink Floyd at high volumes for 2 days, and suddenly to find they dont work anymore - shattering.

So can anyone suggest me something considering the above points. I will be grateful. Price range ?20K to ?40K but only if its really worth.

Pretty interesting.. Lets see what the experts here suggest.. Keeping a close eye on the responses :)

Sent from my ZUK Z1 using Tapatalk

good decission, you won'r regret.
I have bought both Swans M50-w and D 1080-IV.
I personally like D 1080 better. Best value for money and allrounder.

Just a quick question since you own both.. which will be better in case i want to connect it to my TV for watching action & horror movies?

D1080 in all cases. If you want earth shaking BASS, then you should buy M50W. Else D1080 is ahead always.
Thanks.. I really wish I could hear both of them out before purchasing.. It is very confusing like this.. In case I want to add a subwoofer with d1080 it will get really expensive.. At the same time m50w comes within my budget with a sub.. Anyhow I will sleep on it n see where I go

Since I have decided on d1080.. Anything that I can i add to it in near future to make music sound even better? Schmiit modi 2 maybe?? Do these DAC's support wireless play?

P.S.: I will be getting Chromecast audio to play music off my phone or iPad..

Its interesting ... when I started to read your post, half way mark I was thinking to suggest you AudioEngine A5+, ...:D but then when I came at the end of the post I was like :sad: ... You had the best Active powered speakers out there. I wonder what happened, very unfortunate.

BTW I own Audioengine A5+ myelf ..:) :) and I had a smile on my face when you said "The sound they produced however was utter bliss",:) couldn't have agreed more. They are just awesome. Audiophile grade sound. I would have suggested same to the OP but his budget is pretty less than what these speakers are for.

The powered setup I think that comes close to Audioengine A5+ is PSB alpha ps1. The best part I liked about these are that they have an output for connecting a powered sub making them a decent 2.1 system from a 2.0. Infact without the sub as well they sound almost as good as A5+, the base is more extrovert in A5+, if I may put it that way.
The other product that I see could be worth is Q Acoustics QA-BT3, I have not heard these speakers, but given the brand, it should be good. I have listened to their Q Acoustics 2020i Book Shelf and they were really good.
Other option can be to go for separates, with something like Wharfedale Diamond 220 and Marantz 5005. or NORGE is also not a bad option

All this should be under 40K or max 45K.... :)

Last edited:
Here is what I did last week for a stereo setup in the kitchen ..
But first some history - I have been dabbling in hi-fi since 1997.
While I am not a massive spender on hifi, I find it difficult to pass a good value product if I see one.
My setups can best be qualified as mid range

1) My stereo setup in my media room is a Marantz PM 17 with KEF Q5s
2) My Living room setup is a pair of Phase Velocity V12 floorstanders (beautiful speakers incidentally) , Bose 301s for surround , Klipsch R25 center and Polk Pro 550 sub
3) Bedroom setup had to be high on WAF and is a Harman Kardon soundstick setup

Now coming to my kitchen, which is where I guess I I listen to most of my music for cooking - I was using a JBL Charge which I later upgraded to a JBL voyager - However, I was understandably never too happy with the sound
However, there really wasn't much of a choice since you can't really put a big and heavy integrated amp in the kitchen...

Until now that is:
I was reading up about some of the newer class D amps being incredibly efficient and clean (and super cheap) so I thought what do I stand to lose and ordered a 2X TPA3116D2 based amp board for the princely sum of 1000 INR from ebay.

Powered it up with a old 19V laptop adapter and hooked it to the KEFs just for kicks.
Imagine my surprise when the music started up and I heard the notes and a soundstage that came 90% close (if not more) to a reference class Integrated Amp (it may be 10 years old now but the SQ remains fabulous)
I know that the Marantz will badly outclass this board at higher power levels - but for the typical music level inside a house, the 1000 Rs board comes surprisingly close to something that costs 60x more!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I ordered a pair of BA A26 bookshelves that are now doing active duty in the kitchen
The amp board itself is hardly bigger than a big matchbox and is tucked away from sight.
The source is a chromecast audio puck running in High dynamic range mode with typically 320kbps MP3 streamed to it from any of the phones in the house

I kid you not, when I stand in front of the stovetop with the speakers on the kitchen rac behind my back, the soundstage is actually nice enough to make it seem that the vocals are emanating from inside the microwave, the drums from the oven and the guitar from near the fridge :p

I know I am going to get fried for this suggestion by the puritans - but why don't you just order one for 1000 INR, hook it to a pair of decent bookshelves (if you have a friend with one) and see if it works for you.

I can almost guarantee you that these would sound far better with a sub 40K bookshelf (KEF Q100 would be my personal choice) than a 15K class AB Amplifier with a 20K speaker :)

PS: I am ordering a speaker protection board for around 1000 as well - While the TPA3116D2 is supposed to have speaker protection built in , it doesn;t hurt to be safe

I wonder what happened, very unfortunate.

I had a smile on my face when you said "The sound they produced however was utter bliss",:) couldn't have agreed more. They are just awesome.

:(

Maybe they overheated. It seems many buyers have been "unlucky" with them. The sound is so great they are worth buying again, but after my experience and the cloud over their durability, plus without warranty or service in India, I won't take that risk.

Have you heard the Swans?

:(

Maybe they overheated. It seems many buyers have been "unlucky" with them. The sound is so great they are worth buying again, but after my experience and the cloud over their durability, plus without warranty or service in India, I won't take that risk.

Have you heard the Swans?

Yes not MK series but Swans D1010-IV powered ones, they are just okie, don't compare it with A5+, they are not even close by miles. A5+ are in a different league all together, as far as powered bookshelves go. I however would admit that separates even the entry level like Diamonds 220 with dedicated integrated amp sounds better than A5+, but if you talking about powered speakers, SWANS are nowhere even close. PSB alpha ps1 were the closest and I am sure even the Q accoustics won't be bad as well. SWANS are not in this league. After listening to A5+, I wont suggest you to go for swans, you would not like it. See if you can find and audition PSB alpha ps1. OR trust me go for separates,(Diamond 220 and Marantz/NORG) yes you might spend more but you will end up with an actual audiophile grade much better sound and will be much more satisfied in the long run than spending less and settling for average sound and regret later ...............just my 2 paisa ... :)

PS: You might give a try to MKIII the latest one, they might be close enough, I wont underestimate them until I listen to them ...so yes if you can get them arranged do auditioned them as well. Even I am curious how would they sound.

Last edited:
Sam, any experience of Aktimate? They seem to have a dealer in India.

Prateek, why don't you go and visit a couple of AV stores. There's a well known one in Gurgaon, Sound By Des1gn. The owner, Sid Trehan, is spoken of with great regard on the forum.
Just go and listen to a couple of things and see what you like. There could be something you might like better than the A5.
You wouldn't know unless you go and listen.

Sam, any experience of Aktimate? They seem to have a dealer in India.

Prateek, why don't you go and visit a couple of AV stores. There's a well known one in Gurgaon, Sound By Des1gn. The owner, Sid Trehan, is spoken of with great regard on the forum.
Just go and listen to a couple of things and see what you like. There could be something you might like better than the A5.
You wouldn't know unless you go and listen.

No Bro haven't heard Aktimate, can't comment ..... and +1 for Sid, he has a lot of options for bookshelves, if Prateek is in Gurgaon, he should definitely visit and see if what he might like.

Thanks.. I really wish I could hear both of them out before purchasing.. It is very confusing like this.. In case I want to add a subwoofer with d1080 it will get really expensive.. At the same time m50w comes within my budget with a sub.. Anyhow I will sleep on it n see where I go

Did you receive the speakers? Please update when you do about the sound quality.. :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back