Low bass in music - Sub or no Sub ?

Hi Shivam,

I use AP Bookshelf speakers, and it gives nice bass response, could you please share the specs of your speakers and also upload pics or weblink showing the speakers

Also what is the size of the Driver ?, and what kind of driver is it ?

Regards

Tanoj

shivam-albums-system-picture568-audire-zephyr-power-conditioner-ap-bookshelf-speaker-speaker-stand-magma.jpg

Old Vifa drivers (used to be scanspeak then) !
The bass that I miss is mainly in some of the classical works. For most of the jazz, blues and other genres the mid-bass is usually good.

IMHO for 2-channel music, getting the sub to match the speed is most important. Timbre and tonality comes a distant second...Like most of pointed above, 2 subs are better than one...

Finding the right sub to suit your needs is usually tougher and more expensive than looking at a speaker with better bass response. My money would go to trying a different speaker than going for a sub...

Unfortunately going for a different speaker is difficult since it is an active setup. Upgrading the whole setup is beyond my budget at present.

Hi Shivam

Saw a Zephyr in the picture. Just try disconnecting your system from the power conditioner. Go direct to the wall and see if you get more bass. Sometimes a power conditioner can choke the amp especially in passages where a lot of instantaneous current may be required.

If the intention is to play those low frequencies, subwoofer offers better choice than the speaker itself because then you can place the subwoofer where it sounds best. Front speakers do not have that luxury. With subwoofers, placement and integration with main speakers is the biggest criteria. Many people get one subwoofer, and place it in a corner to get max output from that sub.

Based on one of the posts above, I had a related question. If you are starting off with a tower based 2.1 or 3.1 system, does it really matter how low your floorstanders can go since you would anyays be using a subwoofer? I had this doubt because I was reading up literature on crossover settings and most recommend setting it in the 60-80 hz range. So if you are limiting your floorstanders to a threshold of say 70hz and the rest is handled by a subwoofer, do we really need to pay attention to how low a floorstander can go? Many speakers quote a frequnce response of say 35hz-20khz at +/-3db but others quote say 54hz-30khz at +/-2db. Are the latter really out of breath in the lower frequencies and does this really matter when paired with a subwoofer?

Once again, my apologies if I have derailed this thread.

Harsha

If subwoofer is being used, then the floorstander will not help much below the cross over frequency. In that case, its better to go with a bookshelf speaker. Plenty of bookshelfs go down to about 60~65 hz.

Last edited:
Hi Shivam

Saw a Zephyr in the picture. Just try disconnecting your system from the power conditioner. Go direct to the wall and see if you get more bass. Sometimes a power conditioner can choke the amp especially in passages where a lot of instantaneous current may be required.

I have sold the Zephyr. That is an old photograph.

Going by the general consensus and online reviews, I am planning to add a sub and then add a second one as soon as I can afford it.

I have short-listed these models: Wharfedale SW250 and Wharfedale
powercube SPC-10. Any other suggestions?

Hi Shivam

I personally like REL. That's the only one I have used in the past

Wharfies may be good subs for movies...but they might sound sluggish and bloated for music...think of REL...

Hi Shivam

I am not aware of the new models. I used to have an older model which is now discontinued. See if you can get a 2nd hand one.

I once demoed a 45K REL in kolkata about a year and half back, was a pure waste of money. I have also read in several places that older RELs were far better but never had the opportunity. Shivam what is your budget? Sorry if I have missed reading it some where before.

I once demoed a 45K REL in kolkata about a year and half back, was a pure waste of money. I have also read in several places that older RELs were far better but never had the opportunity. Shivam what is your budget? Sorry if I have missed reading it some where before.

INR 50K max.
Any suggestions ?

I think FM gobble uses a REL T5. PMing him might give you some insights. I think a new T5 goes for about 55-60K now. From what I've read, RELs are a bit difficult to set up, but are quite rewarding once setup right.

Last edited:
No Hydra. The REL is quite easy to set up. At least the one I had. The nice thing about REL is it allows the main speaker to play the full signal. It does not cut it.

I am looking for some commonly available brand so that I can buy a second similar sub too when I can manage.

No Hydra. The REL is quite easy to set up. At least the one I had.

Is it? That's good to know! I thought the opposite from a few reviews I'd read. Everybody seemed to have a conflict about REL's suggestion of using the corner, and starting the setup from the corner itself.

The nice thing about REL is it allows the main speaker to play the full signal. It does not cut it.

Yes! This is one thing I forgot to point out in my earlier post. This, and the fact that hooking up an existing setup to a REL seems to be snap, even if one does not have sub-outs in the pre-amp. All it takes is a speaker-wire connection from the speaker-outs of the amp. The REL's built-in DSP takes care of the rest!

Sivam, the input connectivity would be an important part of your decision. It will be easy if you have sub-outs (or an additional set of pre-outs) in your pre-amp. I'm not sure how it will be, since you have an active system.

RELs are available in India. And you should be able to get a second one later if necessary.

RELs are available in India. And you should be able to get a second one later if necessary.

Where can I get the REL subs from in India ?

Hi Shivam

I am a little curious. Why dont you get AP to make one for you?

AP subs would have been my first choice but the cost quoted was 2.5L (for a pair) which is beyond my pocket.

REL in India

Sound & Vision
22 East Street Galleria Camp
Pune, 411001
India
PHONE + 91 98 2208 8022
FAX + 91 20 2635 7647
EMAIL [email protected]
WEB Sound and Vision

I think gobble bought his T5 from a dealer in Bangalore itself. He might be able to give more specific information.

EDIT: Technoguru also seems to have a T-Zero listed, but I'm not sure if it's an "official" one, or if it actually will be in stock. http://shop.technoguru.in/speakers/...51207-cat.html#variant_id=0816448-69887051207

Last edited:
Hi Shivam

TBI Magellan would be my first choice for a sub for music. REL would be my second choice. TBI is not available in India. You will have to order it from USA. I went for REL at that time because i got a real sweet deal

Anything not available in India, however good it might be, is not on my list. I have had many bitter experiences with items not purchased in India.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back