Low budget projctor from the US

saumitra

I am planning to get a projector from the US, my budget is limited (< $800). I am considering the following models:
Acer H5360
BenQ W1000/ W1000 Plus

Can anyone from the forum give me some expert comment/opinion on whether the above choices are good for my limited budget and if there are any other brands/ models that I need to consider. Sometime back I saw a link (of a US webs-site) that was quoting < $800 for Optoma HD20, but that seems to be gone now.

I will primarily use the projector for watching movies (DVD & Blu-ray) and occasionally live soprts (hopefully from HD channels, I have TS+ HD). My viewing distance is just about 12 feet. The models I have mentioned are 3D-ready, which I consider as an important plus point, but I am not sure if these 3D ready models can actually be used to view 3D content on a screen with reasonable amount of effort/money on setup. I read in a review that the Acer model requires a high-end PC (with 3D graphics card) and certain software and only after that PC is connected to the projector, you can setup the 3D viewing. If that is the case - the HD ready models are not useful to me.

Yes, you need a high-end PC if you intend to view 3D rips downloaded from internet, otherwise for original 3d blu-rays, the normal bluray players would do just fine. Apart from this, you will also need to buy expensive 3d glasses for everyone who will view to 3D movie.

You should visit Projectors, Projector Reviews, LCD Projectors, Home Theater DLP Projectors at ProjectorCentral.com for the best advice on projectors. I did my research on this website (in 2005) when I purchased mine.

My own experience with a projector:

- Need to have dedicated room that can be darkened completely
- Excellent for movies but I do not enjoy watching TV on PJ
- I am not sure about 3D but I believe that it will be passive 3d (which is good)
- Consider an online UPS for the projector if power breakdown is frequent in your area
- Give very high importance to contrast ratio and physical lens adjustment (horizontal and vertical shift) - keystone correction spoils the picture and has limitations
- think about screen also; projecting on wall spoils the PQ

I recommend you optoma hd66,which i own,good colors and PQ,definately VFM,costs about $600 and with 3d-xl adapter it becomes 3d PJ although 720p only,which is the cheapest 3D option out there,3dxl costs $350 with one pair f active shutter glasses,best 3D deal out there.Acer also has very good reviews

Re: Low budget projctor from the US - bought Acer H5360

Thanks a lot for all your inputs. I finally settled for the Acer H5360 model which I bought from the Amazon for $540 (including shipping) and got it delivered to my colleague's hotel. I should get it home sometime during the 20th June week when my collegue reaches Bangalore.
A few points on the H5360 and factors that influenced my decision:
1. I decided to stick to a low budget projector, so did not consider the Optoma HD20 (~$900) and BenQ W1000 (~$1000).
2. I was finally considering only two models - Optoma HD67 & Acer H5360 - both 720p, 3d-ready projectors. Both have got good reviews and touted as VFM HD & 3D ready projectors. Both require good PCs with nVidia graphics card to play 3d movie files. And both require a 3D adapter/converter if you connect your 3D blu-ray player playing a 3D BD (Optoma 3d-XL works with both). HD67 was costlier, though not by much (about $75-100).
3. Fortunately, I found a friend in my apt complex who has the Acer projector. I got his projetor home and tried it out. I was very happy with the picture quality (I played HD channels from TS+ HD and blu-ray from PS3).

Thanks for your input once again.
This forum is always a big help for any AV equipment buying decision.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your purchase! Please write more posts as you bring projector home and try it out.

Is A/C and UPS compulsory for projectors.

cheers
Gap G J
No. But they help as follows:
  1. If you have a dedicated projector room, you will like to make it completely dark by closing all orifices and light sources - this means windows as well. This will make the room very stuffy. Most likely you may be having a pull-down screen. Switching the fan on may cause screen to flutter, ruining the experience. Hence A/C will help.
  2. If the power situation in your area is very alarming, tends to go off every now and then and/or the supply voltage fluctuates too often, then an online UPS will help. Note that the inverter based home UPS is not good enough.

In addition, projector bulbs run at very high temperatures, and when powered down, the fan will run to cool down it down for some time before it finally switches off. In case of power failure, not having a UPS will not allow this, reducing bulb life- and pj bulbs are VERY expensive!

Factored

I think you should go for home cinema projectors which specialize in this, the brands which you have mentioned are not among the market leaders.

Since your budget is limited, have you factored the cost of 5.1 speakers, AV Receiver, Screen, A/C, proper seating arrangement, the high cost to source a good quality movie print, there are more expenses too.

I think you should not use the projector to watch movies of a DVD quality, there are other better options, the blue ray's are you going to buy or rent them?

V.

I am planning to get a projector from the US, my budget is limited (< $800). I am considering the following models:
Acer H5360
BenQ W1000/ W1000 Plus

I will primarily use the projector for watching movies (DVD & Blu-ray)

Dark

I think there is virtually no need to darken the room completely.

In my case i have a whooping 20 in-direct lights with assorted dimmer options, at any given time i often use 5 of them.

The game is which lights you buy and where you place them, quality of screen counts too.

On the other hand there are simpler ways where you do not have to go out of your way to darken the room.

It is very true that a screen is must . A projector beaming on the wall is like using a match stick to light a high end cigarette.

V.

My own experience with a projector:

- Need to have dedicated room that can be darkened completely

- think about screen also; projecting on wall spoils the PQ

Re: Dark

My projector is some 3000 ANSI Lumens only and hence the picture appears washed out in presence of even a little ambient light. Or perhaps my eyes are too sensitive. Perhaps a better screen than my existing would help ease the situation.

While a pitch dark room is not required, darker the better.

In my case my living room has a light cream color on walls. So even a small amount of light, including one bounced off the screen causes the whole room to be lit up to more or less extent. Needless to say I can't enjoy movies unless all outside light is blocked.

Light

Indeed all outside light has to be blocked which can easily be handled using the right curtains. It is like when we use a air condition, we need to follow the ritual of closing the doors and windows.

On the other hand outside light many a times is never a issue because on most occasions one watches movies in the evening.

For regular movie watchers a in-direct light is also very good. If handled well, one may end up watching most of the movies via halogens and related. I use foot light too.

V.

My projector is some 3000 ANSI Lumens only and hence the picture appears washed out in presence of even a little ambient light. Or perhaps my eyes are too sensitive. Perhaps a better screen than my existing would help ease the situation.

3000 ANSI lumens is a LOT. what you need is ambience control. Any direct/indirect sunlight is the worst for front projection and will wash out the picture a lot. Use blackout/thermal curtains. They block out almost all the sunlight. Also, if your walls are light colored, you can try putting some black, absorbent fabric, especially near the screen.

Another thing to try is screen border. A velvet screen border is pitch black, and gives a boost to perceived contrast. Try it if you already don't have it.

3000 ANSI lumens is a LOT. what you need is ambience control. Any direct/indirect sunlight is the worst for front projection and will wash out the picture a lot. Use blackout/thermal curtains. They block out almost all the sunlight. Also, if your walls are light colored, you can try putting some black, absorbent fabric, especially near the screen.

Another thing to try is screen border. A velvet screen border is pitch black, and gives a boost to perceived contrast. Try it if you already don't have it.
I can make the room almost pitch dark. As you can see from the two photos below, the screen pull down covering the window completely:
Screen pulled down
HT012B.jpg

Screen retracted
HT012A.jpg

The screen has black borders and all. The screen is 8x6; so I cannot use the black borders on the top. But borders is not the issue. The walls are light in colour. Since this room also doubles up as a regular bedroom, I do not wish to have it coloured too dark.

When the door (opposite to the screen) is opened, the incoming light spoils the picture.

@just4kix- What is the color & gain of your screen? Maybe a grey screen would have helped you in your situation. But that would be a heavy purchase. I guess you are stuck with your present screen.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back