LPs first or TT first?

First: LPs or TT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bluu,

I'd definitely say a common sense approach. Get about 10-50 records to start off with or as many as you can find/afford and a TT. Then you can keep adding LPs to your collection. All really depends on if you're getting a good TT and therefore have less money for the LPS. I got a better TT and then started building my collection.

You're welcome to drop in for a listen.

regards

Thanks Stevieboy! I'm out of town this weekend but can I call you after I return? Please PM me your number.

I'd suggest you get a few LPs first...its for a simple practical reason...when you get your TT, you'd definitely want to wire it up and listen to it... :)

I can't imagine buying a new piece of audio electronics and have to look at it without listening to it :)

I had over 150 LPs before I got my first personally owned TT, a TEAC P988 from California (on an official trip)

I have a Redbook CD based music system and recently installed my movie system in another room. I don't have any dedicated AV room.

Now, I feel tempted towards TT +LP. Can you guys give me a fair idea of budget required for a TT with all its accessories plus around 50 LPs to start with.

I know, my question is vague as there are TTs of varied budget range. I am not in favour of purchase-sale-upgrade kind of approach. So my first TT may be Rega or similar of approx 50K and may use the same for a long period. But I have no idea of the cost of accessories including cartridge, tone arm etc..

Also, LP sleeves, jackets, cleaning solution, brush etc.. all are costly.

So, need an idea about the budget estimate befor plunging in.

'am sorry Bluu for using your thread. If you feel, I can start a new thread.

Last edited:
infinity is the budget if you ask me.
why do u need the sleeves, jackets, cleaning solution, brushes, etc which are costly according to you
when you buy decent quality LPs you will automatically get the jacket, sleeves and all.
when you talk abt cleaning then read a thread by Malvai and you would do all the cleaning for Rs.0.
if you buy a new TT and ur budget is 50k then you would get a decent cartridge also along with that. so till the time you really become a keen vinyl audiophile i dont think you would need a new cartridge, tone arm and all that. there your budget is further brought down.

now the cost of LPs are subjective. all will fully agree here that you wont find a great collection of LPs in india. both used and new. so this is where you show your expertise and work around. read through the threads to get leads where to buy LPs according to your music choice.
also check if your amp has a phono stage. if not then you would have to buy a phono stage to make it compatible with the TT you buy. there again the budget starts from 2500rs to .........................................

if you can figure all this then you are sorted out to begin with.

I'am sorry Bluu for using your thread. If you feel, I can start a new thread.

Of course not, please continue. Too many threads will little bits of information are no good to anybody. Let's consolidate.

In 50K, you can get a pretty good turntable. For LPs, I suggest you keep a separate budget. Prices range from Rs 300 all the way to Rs 10,000 (and more!)

My vote would go for the Scheu Cello (approx 60K) with tonearm and cartridge. You will be set for quite a while with this table. Other options are Thorens, Rega and Pro-ject.

As always, there is the pre-owned market but if you plan to dive into that, please ensure you use the expertise of someone who knows his stuff else you may end up with a lemon.

My God! What a simple and gorgeous table! Is it the same one from The Mechanic?

Hi Bluu,

Who or what = the mechanic? Yup it's very simple no frills but seems like it'll outlive me comfortably!

Edit: found the mechanic. Hehe my table's in the movies!!! Apparently discussion forums say it's a 9.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back