LPs first or TT first?

First: LPs or TT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluu

We all love analog sound. A question that has been bothering me is: If someone is starting off in the LP/TT world for the first time ever, does it make sense to first build up a reasonable collection of LPs (say 10-12) before springing for a turntable OR should one buy the TT first and then build a collection over time while enjoying even a small collection (3-4)?

I am contemplating getting a turntable in a few months time and I wonder if I should start buying LPs now itself. What if I end up not buying the TT? Do I sell off the LPs I have or keep them in the hope of getting a TT later? On the flip-side, if I get the TT first, I will only probably have 2 or 3 records and so usage of the TT will be very less till such time the collection becomes reasonable. This is not easy to do because of availability and price of analog.

Toughts?

Haha! Very good point souldforged!

Added a poll to this so it's easy to assimilate results.

Please vote!

this is the chicken and egg story

first you have to decide if you want to jump in or not. and once you think then simple take the step

if you think you will buy the TT in the near future and have some small amounts (not enough for the TT you want to buy) then start buying the LPs. if you dont buy TT later you can still sell your LP.

keep in mind that good LPs are in a big shortage in India atleast so i would suggest to start collecting that. read through the forums on where to buy them and you shall get all that you want

once you have your TT i am very sure that you will feel very bad having just 4-5 LPs.

when i started in decemeber 2010 i didnt have single lp or a tt. first i started to collect LPs as i could not spend on a new tt. so till i waited for a good tt to come across i waited and bought lps. today managed a very good used tt and a decent 100 + lps as of now

all the best

Bluu, just a word of advice.... whatever you do, get a good TT with a decent arm and a good cartridge.... without the right stuff, you'll get the wrong idea about analogue sound.

and if you do get the good stuff... believe me, you'll STOP buying Cd's.

I haven't in over 4 years! And i have given away CD's of music that I own on vinyl!

From a CD collection of 2200, I now only possess 500. these too shall go once i get the titles on vinyl...

You can check out my Vinyl journey on thread: http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/16671-great-tasting-vinyl.html

Last edited:
Excellent advice. The reason I mentioned the purchase is a few months is so I can hunt and save for the best TT I can afford.

Your suggestions?

Only caveat - demo is a must. Home demo is added advantage.

Vinyls first or simultaneously as TT may take time after you have made up your mind. My reasoning is as under:-

1. LPs are not available on a regular basis. You come upon chances here and there. You must exploit the opportunity and keep expanding your kitty. Eg- There was a reissue of "Rumours" LP. If you like LPs new it is a chance to grab this one. TT may follow months after.

2. You would need LPs once you have TT and you can not build the collection in a short time even if you have budget.

3. Even if you happen to not follow the vinyl path (which wont happen :D) you can sell the LPs without much loss of money.

4. TT would need a decent budget and may take time to materialize. LPs are comparatively cheaper. You may argue that the money spent on LPs can contribute to TT purchase.

+1 to taureanbull & manav. Chances are you will not regret any of the purchase. Because strangely I have not seen turntable/vinyls for sale ad in our forum very often. Doesn't that speaks for itself.:) So if any vinyls that you like come by, grab them immediately.

Excellent advice. The reason I mentioned the purchase is a few months is so I can hunt and save for the best TT I can afford.

Your suggestions?

Only caveat - demo is a must. Home demo is added advantage.

Bro, you have dealerships for 2 great TT manufacturers in Bangalore itself!

If you have the budget do go in for VPI Classic 3 (sridhar ARN??? I think)...
He's on the forum.

The other good table is Scheu. you'll find this at The Listening Room - Jochen...

If you don't wanna spend that much you can look at Rega and Project. the rega dealer is in Pune. The Project dealer is in Mumbai.

If you connect with stevieboy on the forum he can give u an extended (and excellent) listening session on His project RPM 10 (???)....

and then there is Santhol2 (santosh) on the forum who has a Project 2Expression III. Though I guess his cartridge is not back from its re-tip in the US as of now....

I don't know of anyone who has a rega table in banagalore....

So, there are your options!

You can also scout around the used market for a Technics 1200 or 1300... or even a Garrard 301 or 401 (but these are hard to come by.... and when they do they come at a huge price tag despite being in fairly crappy condition...)

I know Sridhar and Jochen quite well and I think those two are my best bets. My friend Sandeep recently purchased an RP1 as well. Need to go have a listen. I think the general feeling is to go for LPs first.

LPs because you spend your time and effort and money in collecting them, chances are more that you will end up buying the TT

@ Bluu, there might be a killer TT deal on the way, fingers crossed :) Just giving you & others interested a heads up ;)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back