Lumin X1

samirk

Friends,

it’s been long I was away from forum. Apologies

i am on path to upgrade my existing system which comprises Mac mini as source, Weiss Dac 202, Naim NAC 202 , Naim NAP 2000 , ATC SCM 40 v1.
Aim was to minimise number of boxes to as less as possible.
After some research decided on streamer that also has Dac and active speakers.

some research and finalised on Lumin X1 and ATC active speakers either scm 40 or scm 50. But need to postpone speaker decision due to unknown move date

Took a plunge and bought Lumin x1 from cinema focus. Great experience. Mr .Razak , owner of cinema focus, a great person to deal with. Received x1 this week and plugged into my current setup.

X1 is built like a tank. Very solid and heavy. setup was breeze. It comes with external power supply. Connected xlr analog out from x1 to Naim pream nac 202 din. Initially there was no base at all. Only high and mid. Shock of my life
Changed cable from Xlr din to rca to din and wow, x1 was back with all frequencies. Issue was xlr—din cable that I was using connecting x1 to naim pre. Cable was not compatible to x1. After changing to rca to din , x1 started sounding.

After few songs , First word that came out of mouth was wow. It was just superb. I was listening to completely new system although I changed only streamer and Dac. Amazing sound !!!

Somehow I was not very happy with my earlier setup. I always thought something was not correct with system. Something was missing. Apologies but I am not very good in explaining sound characteristics in words.

X1 changed everything. I was able to hear all details and superb midrange and lows. Very dynamic sound and slams ,more like live presentation but without any harshness. And this is all without much burning in. Music was much enjoyable now. X1 takes approx 500 hrs to sound best. But it was already sounding great without burn in, just waiting how it will sound after full burn in
it seems like why my earlier setup was not sounding great , may be to do something with source. It seems Mac mini was not great source in my setup. Replacing Mac mini with x1 changed everything.

first time I realise how scm 40 is such a great speaker even being passive driven by naim power. Even power amp is rated only 70 watts.

plan is now to get rid off Weiss Dac 202, scm 40 , naim pre and power combo. X1 has Leedh digital volume controller in digital domain. If online reviews to be believed, this volume control is so good that pre amp is not required if one has active speaker. but only time will tell. So no plan for new pre amp for now.

Lumin has equally great iPad app. Absolutely no setting is required. Once x1 was up and connected to network by rj45, app picked it up immediately and was ready to stream.

Hopefully with new active speakers, and some more burn in, x1 will sound further better.

Will be happy to answer any question..

cheers,
Samir

CONGRATS, Samir.

The LUMIN X1 is a Super product, which integrates a Super Streamer + a very capable & versatile DAC along with a built in Roon End point. Provides Balanced analog Audio out too, with a digital volume control.

Its the kind of product and level of integration I would like to have in my setup.

What amplification do you plan to get, after selling your Main Pre & Power Amps ?

Enjoy your new purchase!

Apart from all points mentioned by @IndianEars , for me the biggest stand out feature is having optical (fibre) network Input.
No need for any media converter.

Although, my taste is different from highly detailed sound of lumins but still it's a super product

Friends,

i am on path to upgrade my existing system which comprises Mac mini as source, Weiss Dac 202, Naim NAC 202 , Naim NAP 2000 , ATC SCM 40 v1.

some research and finalised on Lumin X1 and ATC active speakers either scm 40 or scm 50. But need to postpone speaker decision due to unknown move date

Took a plunge and bought Lumin x1 from cinema focus. Great experience. Mr .Razak , owner of cinema focus, a great person to deal with. Received x1 this week and plugged into my current setup.

X1 is built like a tank. Very solid and heavy. setup was breeze. It comes with external power supply. Connected xlr analog out from x1 to Naim pream nac 202 din. Initially there was no base at all. Only high and mid. Shock of my life
Changed cable from Xlr din to rca to din and wow, x1 was back with all frequencies. Issue was xlr—din cable that I was using connecting x1 to naim pre. Cable was not compatible to x1. After changing to rca to din , x1 started sounding.

After few songs , First word that came out of mouth was wow. It was just superb. I was listening to completely new system although I changed only streamer and Dac. Amazing sound !!!

Somehow I was not very happy with my earlier setup. I always thought something was not correct with system. Something was missing. Apologies but I am not very good in explaining sound characteristics in words.

X1 changed everything. I was able to hear all details and superb midrange and lows. Very dynamic sound and slams ,more like live presentation but without any harshness. And this is all without much burning in. Music was much enjoyable now. X1 takes approx 500 hrs to sound best. But it was already sounding great without burn in, just waiting how it will sound after full burn in
it seems like why my earlier setup was not sounding great , may be to do something with source. It seems Mac mini was not great source in my setup. Replacing Mac mini with x1 changed everything.

first time I realise how scm 40 is such a great speaker even being passive driven by naim power. Even power amp is rated only 70 watts.

plan is now to get rid off Weiss Dac 202, scm 40 , naim pre and power combo. X1 has Leedh digital volume controller in digital domain. If online reviews to be believed, this volume control is so good that pre amp is not required if one has active speaker. but only time will tell. So no plan for new pre amp for now.

Lumin has equally great iPad app. Absolutely no setting is required. Once x1 was up and connected to network by rj45, app picked it up immediately and was ready to stream.

Hopefully with new active speakers, and some more burn in, x1 will sound further better.

cheers,
Samir
Congratulations, That's a very good product.
Some Pictures of the Device and Your setup will be a great addition to your post.

What's the Earthing Outlet for? Do you have to earth it separately?

Hi IndianEars

Thanks. I am planning to get ATC active speaker so no external power amp. X1 will be directly hooked up to active speaker via xlr.

not decided yet for pre, Will decide only after I try x1’s leedh processing for volume control.

in case leedh is not good enough , I will get ATC sca2 pre amp.
Best regards
Samir

Apart from all points mentioned by @IndianEars , for me the biggest stand out feature is having optical (fibre) network Input.

Although, my taste is different from highly detailed sound of lumins but still it's a super product
Hi

Hi Rikhav
In fact I am getting optical fibre kit from USA to replace rj45

lets see how sound differ after that

Congratulations, That's a very good product.
Some Pictures of the Device and Your setup will be a great addition to your post.

What's the Earthing Outlet for? Do you have to earth it separately?
Hi drkrack

sure will post pics, no separate earth.

Hi

Hi Rikhav
In fact I am getting optical fibre kit from USA to replace rj45

lets see how sound differ after that
Just get a switch with optical fibre ports so the lumin can be plugged to network without any converters.

The nas or roon core would need media converter kit but as such you can use with rj45 to same switch
Most crucial the lumin in your Chain so a switch with optical fibre ports is best way forward

Just get a switch with optical fibre ports so the lumin can be plugged to network without any converters.

The nas or roon core would need media converter kit but as such you can use with rj45 to same switch
Most crucial the lumin in your Chain so a switch with optical fibre ports is best way forward
Thanks Rikhav

Hi Rikhav

I looked into router with sfp port as u suggested but was but sceptical about compatibility issue with sfp module. So ended up buying separate media converter and sfp module as certified by Lumin which is

MC-210CS
TL-SM311LS

with 16 ft sfp patch cord

210cs media converter is available on Amazon India but sfp module and patch cord needed to get from amazon USA

Makes no sense to buy a media converter.
You should be looking at a "switch", not a router

Switch with sfp ports

Friends,

cheers,
Samir
congrats. let me know ur first impression once u get it hooked up
should once visit ur place to listen

Last edited by a moderator:
congrates.

should once visit ur place to listen
Sure. Most welcome

Makes no sense to buy a media converter.
You should be looking at a "switch", not a router

Switch with sfp ports
I get it , I meant switch only by mistake wrote router
Do you think it’s ok if I buy any switch? Is there any compatibility issue with sfp module? I bought two Sfp module of same model no.

First of all you would not need two as lumin already had fibre input.

When you use a switch you avoid those converters and unnecessary conversion.

In short for to get best out of your lumin switch with sfp port would be more ideal but not that it's absolutely necessary.

See if you can return the media converters and in return get a good switch

Samirk am SURPRISED that the dealer (Razak of Cinema Focus) is not hand holding you for its full n proper setup.

Based on yr initial issue with the interconnect, he probably did not visit yr home for even an initial setup / switch on?

This is an Extremely expensive piece of advanced gear and customers are ENTITLED to receive full support from their dealers.

Hi IndianEars

Thanks. Mr Razak did help a lot on phone. Based on his suggestion only cables were replaced. In addition there is complete lockdown in Bangalore.

Thanks
Samir

If you are interested in Switch with SFP port AudioNote India has some solution using Mikrotik switches however they are expensive.
TP link media converter and SFP module could be sourced from Bangalore. There is a distributor on SP road, however closed currently due to lockdown

If you are interested in Switch with SFP port AudioNote India has some solution using Mikrotik switches however they are expensive.
TP link media converter and SFP module could be sourced from Bangalore. There is a distributor on SP road, however closed currently due to lockdown
Thanks Sydney. I already order sfp modules from USA along with patch cord. Should reach this week

You need a switch like this and compatible patch cord which even your cable internet guy will make for you.

Friends,

cheers,
Samir
Hey

Congrats man. Thats a very good choice you have made. Hope to get some detailed review from you. I am also contemplating U1. :)

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back