Luxman C-900u and M900u

Nikhil

Staff member
In the world of audio Luxman is a brand that needs no introduction. Here on our forum there are many who savor the rich lush sound of this revered Japanese brand. Luxman for it's part has quietly engineered a resurgence with a slew of products that have gained the approval of many audio enthusiasts. While reading on their offerings I came across what was widely unanimous approval for their top of the line separates the Luxman C-900u Control Amplifier and the M-900u Power Amplifier.

Link: Luxman C-900u Control Amplifier

main.jpg

Link: Luxman M-900u Power Amplifier

main.jpg

Doug Schneider over at Soundstage Hifi gave them both glowing reviews some years ago.

Clearly Luxman will not suit everyone's taste but for those who do the timeless appeal of this Japanese brand will be something worthy of consideration. Here are Doug's own words from the review:

"I absolutely loved the Luxman C-900u. In my estimation, it’s a preamp for the ages -- and perhaps in a decade or two, it will have proven to be another classic from Luxman that will still be outperforming whatever’s new in 2024 or 2034."

"The rest of the world need know only that the Luxman M-900u is one of the best-built, finest-sounding amplifiers you can buy, and the ideal companion for Luxman’s outstanding C-900u preamplifier ... But the M-900u’s magical tonal balance and world-class ability to unveil detail and re-create soundstages makes it something special indeed.

The M-900u is the best-sounding power amp I’ve ever heard."

In the world of audio Luxman is a brand that needs no introduction. Here on our forum there are many who savor the rich lush sound of this revered Japanese brand. Luxman for it's part has quietly engineered a resurgence with a slew of products that have gained the approval of many audio enthusiasts. While reading on their offerings I came across what was widely unanimous approval for their top of the line separates the Luxman C-900u Control Amplifier and the M-900u Power Amplifier.

Link: Luxman C-900u Control Amplifier

main.jpg

Link: Luxman M-900u Power Amplifier

main.jpg

Doug Schneider over at Soundstage Hifi gave them both glowing reviews some years ago.

Clearly Luxman will not suit everyone's taste but for those who do the timeless appeal of this Japanese brand will be something worthy of consideration. Here are Doug's own words from the review:

"I absolutely loved the Luxman C-900u. In my estimation, it’s a preamp for the ages -- and perhaps in a decade or two, it will have proven to be another classic from Luxman that will still be outperforming whatever’s new in 2024 or 2034."

"The rest of the world need know only that the Luxman M-900u is one of the best-built, finest-sounding amplifiers you can buy, and the ideal companion for Luxman’s outstanding C-900u preamplifier ... But the M-900u’s magical tonal balance and world-class ability to unveil detail and re-create soundstages makes it something special indeed.

The M-900u is the best-sounding power amp I’ve ever heard."

Would love to hear these or any of their other recent products including the integrated you had referred to a while ago

Well, I had the 505UX myself and have heard the Class A 550AX and 590AX.. While their AB integrateds are very good, the Class A amplifeirs are simply outstanding with high efficiency speakers..The richness and tone of the sound blew me away... Not heard the top of the line separates but the integrated amplifiers especially the Class A ones are fabulous - the best of tube and SS in a box..

Rightly said Nikhil. They are like true Japanese product, not loud and will atttact to only those who understand high fidelity.

I had a yesteryears Luxman M06 paired to Tannoy 15 MG. 55 watt class A power amp, massive, finished in chamgene gold front and wooden cabinet.
Tone and emotions were at its best. Laid back and sense of being in no hurry or over the top.

Another was C1000 preamp with M4000 power amp that I used prior to it.

Luxman M-900 combo with an accuton driver based speaker would my go to system

I bought the C-900u and M900-u 3 months ago.

I was lucky to get a home demo of the M700-u, following which I placed an order for them M-900u and c-900u combo. The duo sounds fantastic in my setup. If anyone is interesting in listening to these, feel free to get in touch with me.

Here are a couple of pics:
2019-03-14.jpg

2019-03-14-2.jpg

S

I was lucky to get a home demo of the M700-u, following which I placed an order for them M-900u and c-900u combo. The duo sounds fantastic in my setup. If anyone is interesting in listening to these, feel free to get in touch with me.

View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413
Superb setup amazing

View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413
What a magnificent sight!
I used to own Luxman M06 Power amp class A many years ago, but its sound still stays in my subconsciousness mind.

HiFi Rig: ASI Liveline Power cable + Cambridge Audio Cxn + Quad 405 MK2 + ASI Liveline Reference Interconnects + Piega Classic 3.0

I was lucky to get a home demo of the M700-u, following which I placed an order for them M-900u and c-900u combo. The duo sounds fantastic in my setup.

Tremendous setup Surrealistix! Glad to have drawn you out with this discussion!
Do share your listening impressions on here - will be very useful for those on the lookout for top notch separates.

View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413
Awesome set up Surrealistix.

Thank you guys.

I had a very capable Class D amp in my setup prior to the Luxmans. The setup used to sound good, but I would frequently run into albums that sounded bright. After blaming these recordings for a while, I felt I needed a warm sounding amp. So, I decided to give the Luxman amp a try.

Got the M-700u for a home demo. It was very kind of Kshitij from Designer Audio to arrange a home demo. It completely solved the problem I was having with many recordings and was doing everything right. Everything sounded lush. I read up reviews on the m-900 and the c-900 combo and decided to get those over the m-700u.

When I got the the M-900 pre-pro home, I was surprised (shocked) at how much more open and airy it sounded in comparison to the m-700u. After listening to it for a few days, I realized that I was shying away from all the beautiful details and air that an amp can deliver and yet not sound bright. Don't need to hide the highs, if they are done right!

Also it does a wonderful job at separating instruments from each other and produces a pretty large sound stage and has enough drive to keep everything nice at tight with no sign of compression with dense music at high levels.

The speakers, amp and the source are all working well together and produce a very clean and neutral sound with a very well articulated bass and a beautiful top end.

I no longer have to resort to listening to audiophile recordings to get the kicks. Everything I throw at it sounds pretty kick ass!

@Surrealistix a quick question, I wanted to know what would be the major difference in an Luxman integrated and seperates. Will it not give the shimmering details and music separation?

HiFi Rig: ASI Liveline Power cable + Cambridge Audio Cxn + Quad 405 MK2 + ASI Liveline Reference Interconnects + Piega Classic 3.0

I can only comment on the m-700u and the m-900u.
I auditioned the m-700u in my setup for around 2 hours with my Dac (T+A) serving as the pre-amp. I instantly liked what I was hearing. It had great balance, instrument separation, good bass slam and a sweet top end.

The m-900u and the c-900u came home a month later, so from my memory, I would say that the m-700u had a warmer (you could say more musical) presentation in comparison to the m-900u which has a more neutral presentation.

The integrated amps from Luxman should sound more like the m-700u.

Surrealistix....I have run out of words to describe your setup. Superb, Magnificent, Awesome that came to my mind and have all been mentioned.
They are simply incredible with those PMC.
Cheers.

The PMC MB2 Se have a 20 year warranty. I don't think I will be looking for an upgrade till the warranty runs out :) These are IT for me. They absolutely rock.

View attachment 34412

View attachment 34413

Awesome HiFi setup ,.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back