Luxman

Vivek, I don’t think Klipsch likes too much damping. So check the damping factor of both Luxman and Accuphase. Go with the one which has a lower damping
Hi @prem

So I did some more reading and posting regarding damping factor. Its just not a number attached with the amplifier but takes in to account the speaker wire gauge and length when the Df is higher than 200. A guy who works with Klipsch completely disagreed to this statement. Not just for Klipsch but for any speakers of other brands.

More the damping factor tight and better the bass control. So I think no harm in going for higher damping factors. Confirmed by the guys using power amplifiers with damping factors > 5000.

I guess rule of thumb higher the better. :)

Last edited:
Most welcome Vivek. Pls try contacting Mr. Placid, probably he may arrange a demo of Accuphase. Else the experience of the other FM's who own them may help in clearing your your doubts.
Spoke to Mr Kamal the owner of PTC. Demo could be arranged some where near me. Thanks.

Guys please check, this link at the bottom of the page there is a effective damping factor output calculator after taking in to account some amplifier and speaker wire characteristics.

Last edited:
Hi @prem

So I did some more reading and posting regarding damping factor. Its just not a number attached with the amplifier but takes in to account the speaker wire gauge and length when the Df is higher than 200. A guy who works with Klipsch completely disagreed to this statement. Not just for Klipsch but for any speakers of other brands.

More the damping factor tight and better the bass control. So I think no harm in going for higher damping factors. Confirmed by the guys using power amplifiers with damping factors > 5000.

Not necessary that higher damping is better..

But there are so many variables which only your ear can make out..

Hi @prem

You're right! There is no number for damping factor without knowing the amplifier output impedance and the load impedance (speaker + crossover + wire). Besides, I believe this is a load of BS, given the fact that the impedances on both sides vary with frequency! :p

Edit: the source impedance MAY be amp output impedance + speaker wire impedance - I'm not sure at this point. But that's a relatively small value to consider anyways.

Last edited:
My own experiences with damping factor:
Consequently, that is not the only measure of an amplifier/speaker compatibility factor imo, I guess many variables come into play as alluded to in previous posts. As always no substitute to be able to listen to it, thumb rules can be just a guiding line not a certainty.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Vivek I hope you are thoroughly confused by now

One shout out for the LFD as well - a former owner here. It will do well for your music tastes. This is solid state which is full sounding and without glare. If Klipsch goes better with tubes then this should also qualify.

Why did I sell it? Why does anyone in this hobby who have the wherewithal sell anyway. Only earlier I posted the Naim I sold!

Vivek I hope you are thoroughly confused by now

One shout out for the LFD as well - a former owner here. It will do well for your music tastes. This is solid state which is full sounding and without glare. If Klipsch goes better with tubes then this should also qualify.

Why did I sell it? Why does anyone in this hobby who have the wherewithal sell anyway. Only earlier I posted the Naim I sold!
Hi Vivek

Yes you are right I am absolutely confused now. Among brands and different designs. Most of the people suggested tubes followed by Class A and then Class AB.

I have no idea about LFD. Is it sold in India? Any dealer distributor?

No I am afraid. Strangely, having a distributor dealer and not being able to listen also comes to the same thing!

Hi Guys

I would like to share my Mumbai trip experience and time spent at Designer Audio. I would go by as things unfolded.

Packaging: The amplifier get two layers of protection (double boxed) very well cushioned from all the sides. Unboxing in itself is a pleasureable feeling.

Build Quality: Its not a one man job to get the amp out of the box and shift to rack/table. It weights massive 30 kgs. The build quality is undoubtly top notch. On the front, retro styled knobs, buttons they give a very tacticle feel crafted with utmost finish. On the rear, be it speaker terminals, line inputs every piece speaks of its own. Remote controller has been carved out of aluminium too. It gies very premium feel in hand.

How it sounds: The setup was as below
Source (Not the best but had to live with what was available)
1. Spotify Premium/ FLAC files played from a laptop feeding the dac through USB
2. Audiolab M-DAC mini
3. Very basic speaker cables terminated with bananas and stock power cable
4. Wharfedale Linton Hertigae Speakers

Turning on the amplifier with bright VU meters coming to life is a wonderful feeling. Next thing was to hear how it sings. I played some of my favorite tracks from Spotify and FLACs. It sounded really smooth and melodious. Since the demo room at Designer Audio is perfect or near perfect can't say how much room value was added to the over all experience.

Since Luxman says about 300 hours of break in are required even then I am happy with out of the box sound. It will take a bit longer for me to fully break in all my equipment though.

We kept the amplifier running for more than an hour, the room termperature was around 25 deg and the amplifier was not that hot. In real world conditions (read at my home) lets see how hot it runs with air conditioning.

I wanted to test some CD players and external DACs but that could not be done due to unavialability of any component.

Over all I am elated with the Luxman quality and I would say that Lintons are really good speakers. They were a good match with this amplifier. I am curious how the Fortes would sound, still a long wait before I find this out.

Meeting Mr Kshitij was a good expereicen as wel.He is very professional and coperative gentleman. Designer Audio is highly recommended.

My trip ended with a nice Lunch at Britania & Company in the neighbourhood of Designer Audio. I coudn't have missed that.

The amplifier is still not shipped, but will be land at my door in next 1 week or so. Will add more once I have my setup complete at home.

Picture time :)
Have to reduce the quality due to upload restrictions

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_112544.jpg
    IMG_20200201_112544.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20200201_111153.jpg
    IMG_20200201_111153.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200201_121104.jpg
    IMG_20200201_121104.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20200201_121150.jpg
    IMG_20200201_121150.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Hi Guys

I would like to share my Mumbai trip experience and time spent at Designer Audio. I would go by as things unfolded.

Packaging: The amplifier get two layers of protection (double boxed) very well cushioned from all the sides. Unboxing in itself is a pleasureable feeling.

Build Quality: Its not a one man job to get the amp out of the box and shift to rack/table. It weights massive 30 kgs. The build quality is undoubtly top notch. On the front, retro styled knobs, buttons they give a very tacticle feel crafted with utmost finish. On the rear, be it speaker terminals, line inputs every piece speaks of its own. Remote controller has been carved out of aluminium too. It gies very premium feel in hand.

How it sounds: The setup was as below
Source (Not the best but had to live with what was available)
1. Spotify Premium/ FLAC files played from a laptop feeding the dac through USB
2. Audiolab M-DAC mini
3. Very basic speaker cables terminated with bananas and stock power cable
4. Wharfedale Linton Hertigae Speakers

Turning on the amplifier with bright VU meters coming to life is a wonderful feeling. Next thing was to hear how it sings. I played some of my favorite tracks from Spotify and FLACs. It sounded really smooth and melodious. Since the demo room at Designer Audio is perfect or near perfect can't say how much room value was added to the over all experience.

Since Luxman says about 300 hours of break in are required even then I am happy with out of the box sound. It will take a bit longer for me to fully break in all my equipment though.

We kept the amplifier running for more than an hour, the room termperature was around 25 deg and the amplifier was not that hot. In real world conditions (read at my home) lets see how hot it runs with air conditioning.

I wanted to test some CD players and external DACs but that could not be done due to unavialability of any component.

Over all I am elated with the Luxman quality and I would say that Lintons are really good speakers. They were a good match with this amplifier. I am curious how the Fortes would sound, still a long wait before I find this out.

Meeting Mr Kshitij was a good expereicen as wel.He is very professional and coperative gentleman. Designer Audio is highly recommended.

My trip ended with a nice Lunch at Britania & Company in the neighbourhood of Designer Audio. I coudn't have missed that.

The amplifier is still not shipped, but will be land at my door in next 1 week or so. Will add more once I have my setup complete at home.

Picture time :)
Have to reduce the quality due to upload restrictions
Looks lovely

Its an awesome looking amp., and I am sure it sounds excellent as well! Looking forward to hearing you experience with the Klipsch's. I myself am enamoured with Luxman as well and support by both hifi mart and designer audio.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back