Lyrita Owner's thread

thanks for the info. It is true that lot of rebranding is done specially with the NOS tubes. It is better to concentrate on replacing the 5751 tubes with the ecc83s. I am yet to finalize on the brand. Telefunken. mullard are in the list. What are the tubes you have tried in place of 5751 and what was your impression. Did you try and changing any other tube in the pre amp like the 5Z4g. Also I chekcked some tubes at

Hi Mahiruha,

I have tried the Telefunken ECC83,Amprex Bugle Boy ECC83,Philips 7025,BEL ECC83,apart from the Seimens triple plate 5751 and the Jan GE 5751.

All the tubes are good and the final choice boils down to personal taste.

In my system I am now running the Tele ECC83 as the input valve,followed by the Amprex Ecc83.

The different brands have a certain sonic signature,I find the Teles to be a little more detailed than the Amprex,but the mids of the Amprex is superb.The Philips 7025 sounds a little edgy and bright in my system.

The only way to find out what works is to try different tubes,the problem is that it gets very expensive.

Steven has a pair of Mullard Ecc83's ,which might be for sale.He has tried different ECC83's and has setled on the Telefunken.

I bought my Amprex ecc83 from him.

As for the rectifier I have found that replacing the 5Z4G with a Mullard GZ34 made a big difference. You could try the Bel GZ34 . You could also try the 5V4G or GZ32 .

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
glad to know you're enjoying the bugle boys rajiv. :)

yup, the mullards ecc 83s are still there packed for sale.

fully intend picking up a pair of amperexes and mullards again as an option to the telefunkens for when i feel like it. superb tubes all three. raising money for the ultimate 45 tube or more essential upgrades to my system right now.

raising money for the ultimate 45 tube or more essential upgrades to my system right now.

Hi Steven,

I too would like to try the Emmision Labs 45's and 2A3 tubes ,but price and reports of reliability are holding me back.Are they the ultimate 45 's?That is debatable.A lot depends on the implimentation and circuit.

The Japanese magazine Stereo Sound rated the National Union 45 very highly(unable to find the link to the article now),however to me the RCA's sound better than the NU 45,in my system.

I picked up a pair of Canadian made RCA 45's recently on ebay for $71.They are labled GE.The sound is similar to the RCA/Cunningham 45's.

Good NOS/strong used 45's are available at reasonable prices,so I do not feel the need/desire to buy the Emmision Labs tubes now.

I am also looking at trading a pair of GEC KT66 tubes for a pair of Globe RCA 45's,with a forum member on the SET forums.Hope it works out.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Mahiruha,

I have tried the Telefunken ECC83,Amprex Bugle Boy ECC83,Philips 7025,BEL ECC83,apart from the Seimens triple plate 5751 and the Jan GE 5751.

All the tubes are good and the final choice boils down to personal taste.

In my system I am now running the Tele ECC83 as the input valve,followed by the Amprex Ecc83.

The different brands have a certain sonic signature,I find the Teles to be a little more detailed than the Amprex,but the mids of the Amprex is superb.The Philips 7025 sounds a little edgy and bright in my system.

The only way to find out what works is to try different tubes,the problem is that it gets very expensive.

Steven has a pair of Mullard Ecc83's ,which might be for sale.He has tried different ECC83's and has setled on the Telefunken.

I bought my Amprex ecc83 from him.

As for the rectifier I have found that replacing the 5Z4G with a Mullard GZ34 made a big difference. You could try the Bel GZ34 . You could also try the 5V4G or GZ32 .

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,
thanks for all the suggestion. I must say your experience with tube rolling is at a different level. In my opinion this vinyl and tube combination is too much fun. We change cartridge we get a new sound signature and we change tubes we also get something new. Steven's mullard seems to be a good suggestion along with Mullard GZ34. It will be a all Mullard British sounding system. I checked out some mullard GZ34s they seem to have a wide range of prices. What is a good price to pay for them?
Thanks.

Hi Rajiv

Even i have not heard great reports about the Emmission 45 tube reliability. It was the primary reason why i never went ahead with purchasing the Yamamoto A08 amp.

I checked out some mullard GZ34s they seem to have a wide range of prices. What is a good price to pay for them?
Thanks.

Hi Mahiruha,

The price of Mullard GZ34 rectifiers varies greatly with the type.Always buy from a reputed dealer/seller.

The metal base GZ34's seem to be the most expensive.I have not heard it so I cannot comment on its value/sonics.

I have the fat base Mullard GZ34's and the Blackburn factory short type GZ34 with 4 notches in the plate.The fat base goes for more money but to my ears both types sound the same.

I have tried several brands of GZ34's RCA,GE,BEL,Brimar,Matsushita and some Russian GZ34's.I was lucky to have picked up my GZ34's years ago when they were sold for a few hundred rupees in Madras.

The Mullard to my ears sounds the best.I also like the 5U4G directly heated rectifier in some applications,but this cannot be used with the Lyrita equipment as the transformer is not designed to deliver the 3amps heater current required by thje 5U4G.

You should be able to find good GZ34's(even Mullards) in some of the older tube shops in Calcutta.

You could contact our forum member AKS07(Ashok) and ask him for addresses of tube shops in Calcutta.He is the tube guru.
He might help you find good ECC83 tubes also.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
PM Virenji, tho' I don't believe there are any more/too many out there....

2 more SET 845 orders are on the way. I guess one is for a Chennai and the other one is for Delhi.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 845> B&W DM4= MUSIC

Hmm... in that case, will schedule a Sarita Vihar visit when I go to Delhi next time!

Yes abhijith you own yourself a visit if you want to know the magic of SET 845 with multiple driver speakers, you can come and visit me.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 845> Vintage B&W DM4= MUSIC

I just wanted to share this with all on HFV that I recently accquired Sugden A21a class A integrated amp and have to say that this amplifier is very good. It gives the best of both the worlds tube sound as in midrange and SS sound signature as in clean airy highs but it could still not light the cigar in comparision with Viren's SET2A3 amp.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3/ Sugden A21a> Highly modded Vintage B&W DM 4 => MUSIC

Hearty congratulations Sumant...... Would love to hear the Sugden sometime....

Just call and come over. Malvai will be visiting my place as soon as he is settled.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3/ Sugden A21a> Highly modded Vintage B&W DM4 => MUSIC

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back