Making Remote control universal

...With great expectations, I punched in the number in the Onkyo remote [sr505 - supposedly a learning one]....

Ashok, a learning remote is one that "learns" functions from your existing remote rather than by entering a code. You have to point the existing remote at the sensor of the learning remote and it will pick up the function.

As Vinay has also pointed out, it is best to go for a learning remote from Logitech, Philips, etc. if you want a simple solution. Example, see:
Universal Remote Controls Home Page - Sumaria.in

Thanks a ton Particleman and everyone else who helped. Indeed, I just want to point my remote to this learning remote and need not have to struggle with codes. I will hunt around for one which will work. The link also helped. I will have to make sure that the universal remote has a learning port like one from Logitech. The cheaper sony one still needs remote codes.

Thanks again.

regards
Ashok

Ashok, you are most welcome. I would recommend you try to source the Logitech Harmony (885 or 1000) from abroad as the local prices are 80-90% higher than international. Just check that you are ordering a 220V model (the recharging cradle has to be plugged in).

That Sony is well priced but I have no idea about how well it works. Advantage with Logitech is you can connect it to your PC and download codes from a large online database for each of your devices. Some reviews on the Sony may help you out. This fellow seems to be have used its learning function successfully so it may be worth looking into: Squeezeboxbyhairy.geek.nz

Last edited:
I picked up the OneForAll URC 7556 Digital 5 for Rs. 2000 and it has both modes of entering a code and also a learning mode. It controls up to 5 devices and is very easy to use. It is still a stop gap arrangement as I will be getting Logitech Harmony from the US soon. But to state the obvious the OneForAll works very well and does everything asked of it.

Ashok,

All you need is to know the code of your particular DVP. Once you know the same feed it manually. The best place to find the same is product support site. Or if you are not feeling very lazy just hit google. With a bit of luck on your side you'd be able to fish it out pretty soon. And then...

How to add code?Whats the procedure?

How to add code?Whats the procedure?

spirovious,

I am not sure what model you want the information for, but I am posting for my remote which is model URC 7556 Digital 5. You can d/l the manual/instructions for any model from the manufacturer's website Welcome to One For All Global

Instructions - You can find the codes mentioned in point 1 on the website too.
Example: To set up the ONE FOR ALL 5 for your Television:
1 Find the code for your device in the Code list (page 201 ??
221). Codes are listed by device type and brand name.
The most popular code is listed first. Make sure your
device is switched on (not on standby).
2 Press the TV key on the ONE FOR ALL 5 for the device you
wish to Set-Up.
3 Press and hold down MAGIC until the ONE FOR ALL 5??s
TV key blinks twice (the red LED underneath the TV key will
blink once and then twice).
4 Enter your four-digit device code using the number keys.
The device key will blink twice.
5 Now, aim the ONE FOR ALL 5 at your device and press
POWER. If your device switches off, the ONE FOR ALL 5
is ready to operate your device.
6 Turn your device back on and try all the remote??s functions to ensure they
are working properly. If the functions do not work properly, repeat steps
1-5 using another code listed under your brand.

Hope this helps.

spirovious,

I am not sure what model you want the information for, but I am posting for my remote which is model URC 7556 Digital 5. You can d/l the manual/instructions for any model from the manufacturer's website Welcome to One For All Global

Instructions - You can find the codes mentioned in point 1 on the website too.
Example: To set up the ONE FOR ALL 5 for your Television:
1 Find the code for your device in the Code list (page 201 ??
221). Codes are listed by device type and brand name.
The most popular code is listed first. Make sure your
device is switched on (not on standby).
2 Press the TV key on the ONE FOR ALL 5 for the device you
wish to Set-Up.
3 Press and hold down MAGIC until the ONE FOR ALL 5??s
TV key blinks twice (the red LED underneath the TV key will
blink once and then twice).
4 Enter your four-digit device code using the number keys.
The device key will blink twice.
5 Now, aim the ONE FOR ALL 5 at your device and press
POWER. If your device switches off, the ONE FOR ALL 5
is ready to operate your device.
6 Turn your device back on and try all the remote??s functions to ensure they
are working properly. If the functions do not work properly, repeat steps
1-5 using another code listed under your brand.

Hope this helps.

I am able to configure my LCD TV & Sony DVP708 Player remote functions to my Onkyo 606 receiver remote :).

Concern: I am not able to configure my Sundirect STB remote, can anyone please let me know the remote code of Sundirect STB.

Thanks
Ramesh S

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back