Making the Odyssey Epiphony comfortable - Suggestions Invited

psychotropic

The Speakers

As you guys know from my riddle thread, I now own a pair of the Odyssey Epiphonys. Fantastic speakers. But not the easiest of babies to position. The reason I haven't been sitting around here raving about them is that I've been playing around with positioning them and various such experiments.

The Problem

Unlike the Ushers that I just plonked down in my room and sounded perfect from the word go, and even the various permutations and combinations that I tried did not yield too much of a difference in sound the Odysseys are fussy little bastards.

In their default position where my Ushers used to sit, the problem was that while the sound was expansive and musical and detailed, the low-end didn't have heft. Even when compared to my memory of the Ushers, and that was strange because these are speakers that go substantially lower than the Ushers with more slam. This was also surprising because I thought putting the rear-ported odysseys in my small room and so close to the wall would lead to overwhelming bass-bloom and not the reverse!

The Room

Here's a picture of my room so you guys can have a better idea. It's a square (pretty much a cube actually) 10 by 10 by 10.....terrible dimensions for a listening room I know, but I can't really help that. The green thing is my mattress on the floor. The bulls-eye is the listening spot where I plant a stool on top of my mattress and sit and listen :). Otherwise I just sit/lie on the mattress and listen.

room.jpg

The red boxes are the speakers and the white rectangle is the wooden cabinet on which it sits. The orange thing in the corner is my CD rack, the yellow box is my marshall guitar amp and the green thingie my guitar. The blue boxes are bed-side (mattress side) tables, roughly a foot and a half cubed. The red/brown bits are the windows (with curtains). On the left side are built in cupboards and the door in the corner.

The Trials

In order to check that the lack of low-end weight was not something to do with the chain or the components in it, I took everything to my hall and placed stuff with lots of space around and the problem was much less, if not completely gone, so I concluded that the issue to tackle was positioning/room interaction.

I moved the cabinet forward a few inches such that the distance from the rear port to the rear wall was exactly one foot. That didn't solve the problem. Then I tried various positions and angles and while some were a bit better than others, there was still not much of an improvement.

The Solution(?) - Sort Of

Then I tried something else, tipping the speakers forward by placing an inch or so of newspaper at their rear. This meant that the slope of the baffle reduced substantially and the drivers are pointing almost (but not quite) straight forward, and the sound is pointing staight at my curtains instead of the wall above. This yielded a noticeable improvement in the low-end. It's still not as deep as it can go in an ideal situation, but I was much happier now. But the presentation of the speaker changes also, since the tweeters are more on-axis the presentation is a bit more forward and detailed. The superb imaging and soundstage remain the same, and the mid-range continues to be beguiling.

The Way Forward - Please Help!

I do know that my listening room is far from perfect, and there's far more of the potential in these spekears that is lying untapped. There is a full-scale conversion of my second bedroom to a listening room that might happen, but at the moment, I would love to hear suggestions from you guys about what else I can do to extract more performance from these speakers with the constraints that I have, in this room. Please do not suggest expensive room treatments or room-correction EQ, I don't have the budget for that, but inexpensive tweak-y ideas are most welcome!

Hi
A few things to keep in mind -
1. The white box on which the speakers sit - is it an empty box? If its mostly empty, get a granite slab and place it below the speakers and then go to #2 below
2. Get thick granite slabs in the dimensions of the top of the cabinet cut. Place the slabs on the speakers with some feet or rubber stands off below the speakers
3. Start with less toe-in and bring the speakers a bit closer together for experimenting, remember that closer together could be better for bottom end control rather than more distance between them
4. Start with the speaker at 2 ft from the backwall to the face of the speaker, next go to 3.3 ft and try, your room is terrible as far as theory goes :sad: but you have to try to work with whats in there. With the above distances - experiment and see if there is a noticeable change.

cheers

Hi Psychotropic,

Sitting further back will increase the bass response at your listening position. It won't be an equilateral triangle but you'll get to the point in the room where the bass is more. Try moving backwards in increments. You might have to change the toe-in to suit the new position. Happens in my room too. Further back I sit, more bass response, more towards the equilateral position, righter more balanced sound.

Regards

try a corner placement ie firing down the diagonals. this will take the "cube factor out of equation"...you are bound to have suckouts/Boom no matter what you do with a conventional placement.

what you will lose to some extent is Soundstage width..but will gain depth as well as better tonal quality.

@Odyssey, the box is a wooden cabinet/chest of drawers, with lots of bedsheets and towels inside. I have 1' square granite slabs on which I have placed the speakers. I will try getting granite slabs the size of the tops of the cabinets also. Would blu-tak be a good solution for affixing? I'll try moving the speakers even more forward as well. It'll render the room very difficult to use, but sacrifices need to be made for good sound I guess :) And yes, it's a terrible room, but the Ushers worked really well in there, which shows what an unfussy pair of speakers they are.

@stevieboy - oh yes i've tried this, if i sit with my back against the wall, or very close to the wall, there is more bass, and more heft to the sound. The corners of the room also have significant bass, but at the expense of some detail and separation.

@arj - corner placement would probably not be feasible because one corner is a door. I might consider that if I am going to set it up in another room though (although that is also a cube)

-----------

What do you guys think of the tipping forward with newspapers approach? Anything I might be doing wrong over there? I like the results, but I'd also like to know if there's some problem with it.

Would affixing some thick cloth on the doors of the built-in cupboards on the left help in terms of absorbing reflections? I am also thinking of getting thicker, full length curtains for both sets of windows.

Will try some of the suggestions here and report back.

Assuming it is your own house. If so,

- Replace the center portion of the cupboard shutters with sound absorption panels towards inside so that it will look like a normal shutter from outside. On the other side use removable panels or use double/triple layered thick cloth as curtains (horizontal folding type will be more suitable )
- Use bass traps on all corners

hey sajith, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it's not my own house. My landlords are lovely and will agree to probably anything I ask, but I really won't want to impose something like this.

I am reading up on bass traps, it looks like they'll either be costly or a lot of hard work, but they also seem like they would be an excellent solution. Are there any simple jury-rigged solutions that can be used as bass traps, even with compromised efficacy?

Of course, another solution is to move house.....hmmmmmm ;)

Hi Psycho,
My suggestions to extract more bass (some of them already discussed above):
1. The complete front plane of speaker should project at least one inch beyond the front plane of cabinet on which it is kept.
2. Tilting the spearker such that the front plane is almost vertical (this won't increase the bass actually... it will make the snap of top harmonics of bass (drums /bass guitar /percussion) reach you with more clarity and help define the bass fundamental in a better way. Overall you will feel better bass.
3. Get min clear distance of 750mm between bass port and rear wall and side wall.
4. Get min clear distance of 750mm between base of woofer-cone and floor. (I believe your top of cabinet is already of that height)
5. Check whether the your preferred "sweet spot" is actually the NULL spot for bass waves. This spot in my room is approx 2 feet in diameter. If that's the case with you, shift your both speaker leftward /rightward by 1.5 feet.

Though you don't want to spend on equalizer, I would still say spending 5k-6k on a used good eq unit will help you till the woofer is properly broken-in, and delivers better bass.

Regds,

Last edited:
Thanks sonosphere. There seem to be a number of ideas here that I should try out. None of it will make my room any less terrible, but if I can improve things even a little bit, that will be great.

Just to clarify, I am pretty happy with how these speakers sound already (post the tilt-forward), I just know from listening to it at ARN, my friend's place, and even in my own hall, that they can sound a lot better. So the plan for now is that I will get them to sound as good as possible in my room, and then tap their full potential whenever it is I move house or set up a listening room in my second room.

Just to clarify the speakers themselves have a fair bit of bass, I've listened to them at ARN, at my friend's place and at Decibel. Even in my hall it has better bass than in my room. Of course as I play it more I am sure it will improve, but it has had quite a few hours of play already as far as I understand.

Last edited:
hey vivek from my meager understanding i think the use of bass traps would be to absorb the low frequency standing waves, which are possibly cancelling (?) each other out (or cancelling the primary low frequency sound waves), leading to the bass suckout. If the standing waves are eliminated, i think there'll be much better bass performance from the speakers. But I could be wrong on this.

its not just about standing waves..bass traps reduce the SPL by absorption and works across a frequency range so .

Vinay - that is a nice and accurate depiction of your listening room!

The suggestion I have is to have your seating position flush against the rear wall. I know this has already been provided. I think you said you have tried that. Anything else means that you might end up hearing reflections off the rear wall rather than the original sound. This is critical.

Next thing - move that wooden cabinet out of the room. Just get a couple of quality stands and place the speaker on them.

My humble suggestion - is that I second bass traps - DIY, buy, borrow - whatever - if you can get 4 bass traps into the corners of that room - mind you they will have to be rated down to 80 - 100hz - something like this
GIK Acoustics: GIK 244 Bass Trap
you will notice a marked increase in bass - not the boomy, loose kind - but tight " in your gut" sound.
Again just a humble observation of a novice.
Cheers
Sid

My humble suggestion - is that I second bass traps - DIY, buy, borrow - whatever - if you can get 4 bass traps into the corners of that room - mind you they will have to be rated down to 80 - 100hz - something like this
GIK Acoustics: GIK 244 Bass Trap
you will notice a marked increase in bass - not the boomy, loose kind - but tight " in your gut" sound.
Again just a humble observation of a novice.
Cheers
Sid

@Sidvee,
Any idea where you get these in india or DIY ?

@Psycho ,

If you are buying or DIY let me know will do a group purchase I need them too as my bedroom is also ditto....

Kittu

hey arj, thanks for that, i'll keep that in mind.

@thevortex - yes that's something i am considering doing, moving the cabinet out and putting stands in, will require some home rearrangement, but it might be worth it.

@sidvee - hear you loud and clear sir! but right now i have no budget or skillz for the bass traps, so i'll try everything else first and see how much i can achieve.

An Update - Yesterday a couple of friends came over and we listened to music for about 5 hours. I've tweaked things a bit more, brought the cabinet forward, brought the speakers forward as per sonosphere's suggestion, fiddled around with toe-ins (now it's more toed in than before) and I am very happy with the way they're sounding now.

Certainly they can do better, but they're sounding very very nice now. My two friends (non audiophiles but music lovers and musicians) were also 'blown away' by it, they were exclaiming about how much better than the Ushers these speakers sound, and that they're finally convinced that this audiophilia is not 'mumbo jumbo,' and they have even asked the question the non-audiophile question that all audiophiles treasure "how do we get started?"

@Sidvee,
Any idea where you get these in india or DIY ?

@Psycho ,

If you are buying or DIY let me know will do a group purchase I need them too as my bedroom is also ditto....

Kittu

I think DIY has been attempted with quite good results. I have seen some nice DIY panels (the thicker they are - like 4" deep - the better they will do in lower bass absorption- I have 6 of these panels imported from US) with some esteemed HFV members and have also seen some good discussions amongst members. So that is definitely the route to go .
Cheers
Sid

hey kittu - no plans for now man, no budget, and zero DIY skill or inclination.

@sidvee - thanks for all this info. i am hoping it'll be useful when I can afford to implement it. I am quite happy with the improvements that my little tweaks have yielded though, but yeah, certainly if i could put in some bass traps i am sure things would improve much more.

Psychotropic,

A cheap bass trap, sound enhancer is your typical cotton single mattress rolled up tight and shoved in two corners. Yesterday I moved a 'to be thrown out' double mattress into the living room and propped it flat against the wall behind the listening seat cos the furniture had moved out. Good difference in the sound which used to be there earlier with the furniture in place. I have a rolled up spare mattress shoved in the gap between the cupboard and the wall behind the speakers.

Regards

the suggestion i got regarding the speaker placement went something like this:
if RW = the length of the speaker wall then,
RW X .276 = distance of the speakers from the sidewalls and RW X .447 = distance of the speaker from the speaker wall....it works for me but then i am no expert on these matters..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back