Marantz AV 8003 and MM 8003

dvdmk

Hi Senior members and AV Enthusiast
Recently My Son Has Purchased the Marantz AV 8003 and MM 8003, He has planned to buy the speakers from India, Upon receiving the amp and the Processor I connected the combo in stereo mode with a old JBL speakers. The sound was very average and sounded like a normal AV receiver, I thought the problem is with mismatch and after my son came to India, we auditioned the Dali Ikon 6 series with this Combo , but again the quality of this combo in any mode did not satisfy me as well as my son. Again the Dealer was kind enough to allow us a Demo in one of his customers house in which they were using a Klipsch speaker package , The klipsch was running through a Denon receiver and when we disconnected the Denon and installed the New Marantz the sound was very low and could not find a difference the Denon and the Marantz. I have to increase the volume to a large extend to hear the sound from all the speakers and the sounds starts distorting at that level. We also checked the combo with Wharfedale and Jamo , Sounded even worse.
I would like to know which speakers will suit this Combo and any users of this combo can please PM me their Contact details so that i can discuss with them. Since this is my sons first HT Purchase from abroad he is very upset and this makes me restless. Kindly advice.

Thank you.
David.

The AV8003 is near reference quality in Marantz's series so the quality should be good.

I don't think this is a speaker compatibility issue. I suspect that the settings in the Processor are incorrect. As a first step, I would suggest you use the Auto Setup for speakers and see what happens.

Cheers

Last edited:
Please let us know the following:
1. Make and Size of Cables and Interconnects
2. Source used
3. Media Used.
4. Settings used on AV Pre: Prefer direct mode for audio
5. Budget you are looking at for the speakers

Cheers!!

Venkat I dont think the problem is with the Processor. The settings are correct and the cables and interconnects used are all very good ( Audio quest ) . The Power amp is the weaker link , there is no enough thump to cover a living room of 20feet by 12 feet. This Power amp may be suited for a small speaker in a even smaller area , but what is the use of going for a Processor and Power which does not go loud? Its very good for the Music but for the Movies I would prefer some forwardness and some excitement. This is missing in the Marantz. So I need a speaker package which will compensate the softness of the Marantz. I am also thinking of speakers which has more then 92db sensitivity and around 150 watts of power. Even though the Marantz Power is rated @ 140 watts each channel , I doubt the rating a lot. It should be about 80 - 90 watts maximum.
How about the Klipsch , JBL , Energy or any other speakers which is little bit on the forward side? The problem in Kolkatta is most of the dealers dont have the stocks of these speakers and I have to rely largely on the internet. Any help?

Venkat I dont think the problem is with the Processor. The settings are correct and the cables and interconnects used are all very good ( Audio quest ) . The Power amp is the weaker link , there is no enough thump to cover a living room of 20feet by 12 feet. This Power amp may be suited for a small speaker in a even smaller area , but what is the use of going for a Processor and Power which does not go loud? Its very good for the Music but for the Movies I would prefer some forwardness and some excitement. This is missing in the Marantz. So I need a speaker package which will compensate the softness of the Marantz. I am also thinking of speakers which has more then 92db sensitivity and around 150 watts of power. Even though the Marantz Power is rated @ 140 watts each channel , I doubt the rating a lot. It should be about 80 - 90 watts maximum.
How about the Klipsch , JBL , Energy or any other speakers which is little bit on the forward side? The problem in Kolkatta is most of the dealers dont have the stocks of these speakers and I have to rely largely on the internet. Any help?

david, I am stumped to know that you feel that the power amp is not adequate! Anyways, to shortlist this problem, I request you to get a 2 channel amp on loan. Connect your fronts to this 2 ch amp and the remaining speakers to the MM8003. See if you feel any difference. I am not ready to sign-off AV8003 combo just yet. Having said this, tonality of Marantz never satisfied me for movies. Although, this should not be the case with high-end marantz. I have an entry level Marantz. When I used a power amp with this, it gave me a lot of raw power.

Also, what is the state of your Electric supply? I mean what is the gauge of electric wire you are using? If you use a thin wire then you are never going to get enough bass and the system is going to sound weak.

Please let us know the following:
1. Make and Size of Cables and Interconnects ---------Audio Quest
2. Source used -------------Pioneer BDP 51FD Bluray Player
3. Media Used.
4. Settings used on AV Pre: Prefer direct mode for audio ----Various Modes used but nothing is impressive.
5. Budget you are looking at for the speakers----------- Maximum Rs.2.5Lac

Thank You
David

Sumit Even I am taken back by the Lack of Power in the Marantz. When my Son rang me and asked me about which AV Receiver to buy I told him to buy this marantz Combo eyes closed. But now I am very much disappointed with the lack of Thump. Its very Musical combination but sometimes you feel very boring if its too soft for Movies.
I dont find anything wrong in the Wiring . I have used very good quality Finolex cables with Crabtree sockets and this system is kept in a dedicated room. Its not the lack of bass which I am concern , there is no excitement in this combo. Its Boring sometimes.

David, I have an idea. Subhash, a fellow HFV member is from Kolkatta as well. Some time back he was contemplating about AV8003 combo...actually just the Pre.

Let me see if I can arrange a meeting of you guys. Subhash has Onkyo875 and various power amps. Together you guys can easily sort this matter.
Firstly, I would advice you to go to his place with your amps. Lets start from there.

Let me have a word with Subhash and I shall get back to you. In the meanwhile PM your cell number.

Tell your son: Not to worry.

Cheers!

Thanks Sumit for the Help , I will meet Mr.Subash and will take my combo along just make sure that I am not bothering him.

Had a word with Subhash. He has read some user reviews which also stated that the weak-link in this combo is the Power amp. If this is the case then I am disappointed. This is reference series and this is unacceptable.

David, you need to get a power amp on loan. Check it out as I suggested you earlier. This is the best way to find out the prob.

Can fellow Kokatta members who own a power amp, loan the same to David??

Sumit

Hi Venkat,

I do not have a power amp. I have the spare HK6300 integrated amp which is only 60 wpc at 8 Ohms, but feels much stronger than that. It can also deliver instantaneous current upto 38 Amps. Only problem is: it does not have a separate input for the power-amp section like the Nad amps. Can David take the output from the pre/pro and just put it in one of the inputs of this amp? Then he has to be careful about volume knobs, because both volume knobs (of the pre/pro and of the integrated) will be in work.

But if David wants, he can take this and see with his speakers if he gets loud enough sound just to check things. My listening area is 25' x 16' or something like that and the HK goes really loud (I have very sensitive speakers though). These days I usually use it for watching movies which require a lot of bang. But we do not watch movies frequently. So for a day or two, David can take this amp of mine.

Regards.

Thanks for the offer Asit. I will leave it to David to take a call.

I was thinking more in terms of either you or Cranky visiting David and taking a fresh look at the settings and seeing if anything can be done. I know how David must be feeling with such a expensive system not delivering. I was ready to kill a few people in Japan when my brand new Onkyo did not display any video.

I yet have a feeling something can be done. I cannot accept that Marantz could screw up the specs at their reference level. That too in a processor/power amp combination.

Cheers

Asit! I think with your HK, david can get a fair idea. We all know that HK is rated very conservatively at 60wpc. It is actually a hell lot more than that.
I just feel bad for David and wish the problem could be sorted.

It is very generous of you to offer your amp. I shall PM cranky and see if he can help in some way.

Cheers

David I think you should consider crank's suggestion. He is the best man for the job. The ball is in your court now.

Cheers!

David if you doubt that your power amp is the week link here then I would suggest a simple solution to test it. Try bi-amping your front channel speakers and run your setup in 5.1 mode rather than 7.1, if there was a power lag then this could give the adreline boost to your front channel and might clear out the doubt about the power amp here.

Thank you Sumit , Asit , Cranky and Venkat for your great Offers . I have a Rotel 1070 Power amplifier ( 150 watts ) and I have tried using the AV 8003 with the 1070. It plays loud but not energetic. I would not say that the marantz Combo is bad , but it lacks the thump and excitement. I think thats the sound Signature of the marantz which cant be altered. Should have auditioned before buying. I have heard the parasound Power and Processor some time back and that combo was far better then the marantz. The Marantz AV 8003 Processor is very much on the Dull side and what ever Power I use, the sound is very boring. Could not find any fault with the Combo , the sound is warm and dull , which is not to my liking. Many of the small noises which i heard in parasound cant be heard in the marantz.
Will using a JBL ES 90 speaker package Solve my Purpose? Also I am open for klipsch since they are above 92 DB Sensitivity.

If forward sounding speakers are your choice then I would also request you to audition Polk Audio Rti A9 based setup, you might like them.

Thank you Ashish , I will also try the Polk. I am not looking for a forward setup, but since the Marantz is lacking in fine Details i thought of pairing it with bright speakers so that i can bring out the finer details from the marantz combo. Am i right here?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back