Marantz OnBoard DAC Vs RME / Chord

Gelive

Hi, am trying to compare the onboard DAC on a Marantz SA14S1 SACD/CD player versus a RME ADI-2 DAC or for that matter a Chord Qutest...I have the RME...would it make sense to route my streamer through a Marantz which allows a input for DAC or a standalone DAC.
Just wondered if there were any views even as I embark on a listening test !

GE

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

Can not comment on the SA14S1 but I have the NA8005 streamer. NA8005 was my DAC for a good year and half, paired with the PM8005.
I now have the RME, to my ears RMA sounds superior to the analogue out of NA8005. Right now the NA8005 feeds digital out to RME.

One thing to note is that the NA8005 and PM8005 are sister products and there is real good synergy between the two. Keeping even that in mind the RME still wins out. At least to me. It is more organic, lush, the instruments are easier to place on the stage.

Probably does not help you much since you are looking to compare it to the SA14S1....but still this is my experience.

Hi, am trying to compare the onboard DAC on a Marantz SA14S1 SACD/CD player versus a RME ADI-2 DAC or for that matter a Chord Qutest...I have the RME...would it make sense to route my streamer through a Marantz which allows a input for DAC or a standalone DAC.
Just wondered if there were any views even as I embark on a listening test !

GE

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf

Get all the 3 and give it a try. You can retain both the RME and Chord dacs, and sell me the SA14S1 at half price :D

Can not comment on the SA14S1 but I have the NA8005 streamer. NA8005 was my DAC for a good year and half, paired with the PM8005.
I now have the RME, to my ears RMA sounds superior to the analogue out of NA8005. Right now the NA8005 feeds digital out to RME.

One thing to note is that the NA8005 and PM8005 are sister products and there is real good synergy between the two. Keeping even that in mind the RME still wins out. At least to me. It is more organic, lush, the instruments are easier to place on the stage.

Probably does not help you much since you are looking to compare it to the SA14S1....but still this is my experience.
Out of curiosity, Do you have your RME connected through RCA or XLR? I felt bass performance was better with the latter (in addition to it, the +7dbu through XLR doesn't hurt).

Out of curiosity, Do you have your RME connected through RCA or XLR? I felt bass performance was better with the latter (in addition to it, the +7dbu through XLR doesn't hurt).
It is with RCA, my amplifier does not have XLR input.

Thank you so much for this...definitely something to think about..!

Hi, my RME is connected to the amp via XLR cables, there is a clear boost in volume of course..

Hi, my RME is connected to the amp via XLR cables, there is a clear boost in volume of course..
Congratulations on getting the RME. It's a fantastic device!

To get the most out of it, do tinker with it.

Variable loudness is a great feature.

For your bass and treble settings, its worth adjusting the shelving frequency depending upon your loudspeakers. Default is 80hz for bass and 7.5K for treble.

Congratulations on getting the RME. It's a fantastic device!

To get the most out of it, do tinker with it.

Variable loudness is a great feature.

For your bass and treble settings, its worth adjusting the shelving frequency depending upon your loudspeakers. Default is 80hz for bass and 7.5K for treble.
Thank you ! I was about to ask precisely this...do you use the EQ and does it help ? Also, i do feel it pushes high notes very aggressively often times...and too sharp..

Thank you ! I was about to ask precisely this...do you use the EQ and does it help ?
The EQ is fantastic, especially when coupled with room measurements. To that end, I have a Umik-1. The EQ helps me address the room nodes and generally smoothen out the frequency response. The effect is palpable and better than no EQ applied to my ears.

Insofar as the default bass and treble settings are concerned, with them set at 0db (or EQ off), my system is tuned for listening between 80db and 90db. When the decibels drop any lower or higher, it helps me get the desired bass and treble those volumes (read fletcher munson curve).
Also, i do feel it pushes high notes very aggressively often times...and too sharp..
This depends upon the frequency response and sound signature of your current speakers.

the default shelfing frequency for treble on the RME is 7.5khz. if your speakers already have a prominent top end, increasing treble will increase its impact and negatively affect the balance of sound perceived by your ears. Try and couple bass and treble with room measurements to reap maximum results if the default presets do not suffice. The RME has incredible flexibility in that regard allowing you to target exact frequencies instead of relegating users to predefined curves.

The EQ is fantastic, especially when coupled with room measurements. To that end, I have a Umik-1. The EQ helps me address the room nodes and generally smoothen out the frequency response. The effect is palpable and better than no EQ applied to my ears.

Insofar as the default bass and treble settings are concerned, with them set at 0db (or EQ off), my system is tuned for listening between 80db and 90db. When the decibels drop any lower or higher, it helps me get the desired bass and treble those volumes (read fletcher munson curve).

This depends upon the frequency response and sound signature of your current speakers.

the default shelfing frequency for treble on the RME is 7.5khz. if your speakers already have a prominent top end, increasing treble will increase its impact and negatively affect the balance of sound perceived by your ears. Try and couple bass and treble with room measurements to reap maximum results if the default presets do not suffice. The RME has incredible flexibility in that regard allowing you to target exact frequencies instead of relegating users to predefined curves.
Thank you so much DB for your insights, will apply and report in a few days !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back