Marantz PM7004 + Kef Q300s -to-> Musical Fidelity m6i + KEF R700

noblejose

Hello dear FMs,

The title says it all!
Currently I'm on Marantz PM7004 + Kef Q300s; very much satisfied with my setup for music; until i came across a great (?) deal of Musical Fidelity m6i + KEF R700 for around 2.5L; Looks like this will be a great upgrade for me; and don't need to worry about another one for many years!

I'm on tight budget, i will be selling my current setup to fund this deal, still i may need to leverage a bit... What you guys think? worth it?

Noble
Bangalore

@noblejose

You upgrade path is from relatively small BS to relatively large FS. I have the R300 baby brother of R700. R700 has 2x LF (6.5") as compared to 1x LF (6.5").
These speakers can definitely get quite rowdy when robbed of space around them. Plan to have them 2-3 feet from back wall and 2-4 feet from any side walls.
They also like a bit of juice fed to them. Make sure you amp has decent current capability and headroom as these speakers can dip as low as 3.2 ohm.
Since you already have the Q series, you will most probably like the sound signature of R series. No comment on the amp as I have not heard it.

Cheers,
Raghu

@noblejose

You upgrade path is from relatively small BS to relatively large FS. I have the R300 baby brother of R700. R700 has 2x LF (6.5") as compared to 1x LF (6.5").
These speakers can definitely get quite rowdy when robbed of space around them. Plan to have them 2-3 feet from back wall and 2-4 feet from any side walls.
They also like a bit of juice fed to them. Make sure you amp has decent current capability and headroom as these speakers can dip as low as 3.2 ohm.
Since you already have the Q series, you will most probably like the sound signature of R series. No comment on the amp as I have not heard it.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu for your insight; my space is bit limited, i've my setup in my living room of about 16ft x 14ft; currently the q300s are placed 6ft apart, around 1ft from rear wall and >4 feets from side walls. i mayn't get much more space from the rear wall to play around :(

mf m6i is 200W / channel, so plenty of power to support R700s.

I was also considering R300 as my next logical upgrade, then this used r700 came around in same price range.. ; btw, where you're located in blr, i would like to listen to your setup. let me know if you have some time to spare.

Thank you!!

16x14 feet is a decent size listening space. With 6-8 feet separation between speakers you may be able to get away with side wall issues.
If rear wall separation is an issue, you may have to use the bungs on the back port to reduce room boom.
Sent you a PM with my coordinates and mobile number.

Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back