Marantz SR5011 vs Yamaha RX-V683 , please help to decide

mandeep

Hello dear all,

I am auditioning the marantz SR5011 and Yamaha RX-V683 at home, the dealer allowed me to take both home to decide properly with my own speaker setup. (Bose Acoustimass series 6)

Need help to decide between the two.

After watching the same set of movies on both. (No music played yet)
I have some observations i want to share.

1) First major thing is that both of them are equally bright. Don't know why marantz is sounding bright, over the net some say HDAM circuits are now tuned for brightness, and marantz warmness is now thing of the past.

2) Marantz drives the speakers more effortlessly. Marantz being 100w and yamaha 90w.

3) Marantz brings out more details, especially in the midrange.

4) Sound of the Marantz is more open sounding and clear.Though yamaha is not that far behind.

5) Low end and punch is also more in marantz. Yamaha is also good but marantz does stand out.

6) Marantz, as is being said repeatedly over and over again over the net, is less reliable. YAMAHA being highly rated for being more reliable.

Over the forums it is being said that the marantz have issues with hdcp 2.2 compatiblity as they provide in house certification only, due to which there are issues with other devices.

HDMI board failure : Is this issue still a reality OR is it the thing of the past.

Please guide me through, i am loving the sound of marantz but the brightness, hdcp 2.2 issue and hdmi board failure are holding me back from making a purchase.

I have to decide today itself, as the dealer wants them back ASAP :)

THANKS

Last edited:
Hi

Both are good brands.....I loved the Yamahas of the 90s....now what you get is in my opinion not really happening......

I have been using Marantz for close to 6 years now....(NR series and SR series)....currently use the SR 6008 and it is an awesome experience.....

HDMI board failures come in the picture for any brand......this is when settop box etc is connected....sometimes electricity runs in the cable TV lines we get in our homes and hence fries the HDMI board....to be safe...I feed the Set Top box HDMI to the TV and use Optical out from TV to the AVR....

There are dedicated Yamaha and Marantz owner threads on this site....you can post the same in both threads and see what responses you can get which will help you decide better....

Simple solution is to weigh both pros and cons of each brand and make a decision...

There are many Happy users of marantz on the forum. Wait for their feedback. I have also noticed many marantz avr at a service center which were being repaired, but cannot take that as judgement on reliability. Have been using a Yamaha avr for last 10yrs without any issue.

Hi

Both are good brands.....I loved the Yamahas of the 90s....now what you get is in my opinion not really happening......

I have been using Marantz for close to 6 years now....(NR series and SR series)....currently use the SR 6008 and it is an awesome experience.....

HDMI board failures come in the picture for any brand......this is when settop box etc is connected....sometimes electricity runs in the cable TV lines we get in our homes and hence fries the HDMI board....to be safe...I feed the Set Top box HDMI to the TV and use Optical out from TV to the AVR....

There are dedicated Yamaha and Marantz owner threads on this site....you can post the same in both threads and see what responses you can get which will help you decide better....

Simple solution is to weigh both pros and cons of each brand and make a decision...

Thanks dear for your inputs.
Thats for sure both are very good.
This was my first experience with a marantz receiver with my own setup at home. I have used Yamaha branded receivers for fifteen years straight , so knew what to expect from a yamaha receiver.
But somehow i had to decide between the two, so i based my judgement on reliability & my personal experience with the brand, so i chose the Yamaha Rx-V663, both where within my budget though.
With a little bit of heavy heart i returned the Marantz SR5011.
Thanks once again

There are many Happy users of marantz on the forum. Wait for their feedback. I have also noticed many marantz avr at a service center which were being repaired, but cannot take that as judgement on reliability. Have been using a Yamaha avr for last 10yrs without any issue.

Hello dear mshifi, thanks for your valuable inputs.

I don't know, choosing between things these days is very difficult, some products are so badly reviewed on sites like Amazon etc. that taking a decision becomes an uphill task, it can lead to very bad brand perception and vice versa.

I do understand the life of a product depends on a lot of factors, it may be related to electricity supply condition in the area, house wiring, proper earthing, circuit protection, load impedance matching, product maintenance, clean environment, and upkeep etc etc and the list goes on and on and individual experiences vary from one person to the other.

If a company is facing bad reputation due to component failure etc , sometimes a company admits that , and offers customers a free service or upgrade and extended warranty, but mostly they don't do that, the customer faces all the consequences after warranty period is over.

Companies always remember when to increase the prices of the products , whenever rupee falls or due to tax revision (like GST) or whatever, but they forgot to revise or improve the customer satisfaction levels with the price increase by improving their product quality and admit poor quality or workmanship , if something goes wrong after warranty period is over.

@ Mandeep,

Since you have made up your mind to go with Yamaha.....use it for sometime and if it blends to your expectations...stay with it.....if not....you can later upgrade to a Marantz......it is not necessary to purchase a new one....you can always keep your eyes and ears open for good deals that come on the For Sale by Owner section or Hifiads or OLX.....remember...golden rule....preowned stuff should be checked by yourself in person before purchase...or ask a friend to do it before closing any deal....

All the best...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back