Marantz SR-5015 or Yamaha RX-A2A

JrM1

Hello Friends,

I am planning to upgrade my AV Receiver. Currently I am using Yamaha HTR-2064 (Yamaha YHT 196).

I have shortlisted:
1. Marantz SR-5015
2. Yamaha RX-A2A

Both are costing similar price.

For front channel I am using JBL Stage A170
Surround and center are from Micca Mb42x/c, which I will be upgrading later on.

Room size: 19x11. Placement is on longer side. Attached the room placement. Althoght the seating position now is closer then shown in image, at around 10-12 feet.

My uses will be 50-50 between Music and Movies.

Please advice which one to go for? How different is the sound signature of these two models?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice. Cheers!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_101836.jpg
    IMG_20220909_101836.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 63
Its impossible to say which receiver will sound better.
I'd take your speakers (atleast the two front mains) to the dealer, plug them in and listen. No better way to judge than doing this. Dealers like Pro Fx are quite open to this. Consult with some other dealers too.

Its impossible to say which receiver will sound better.
I'd take your speakers (atleast the two front mains) to the dealer, plug them in and listen. No better way to judge than doing this. Dealers like Pro Fx are quite open to this. Consult with some other dealers too.
I like to demo these avrs but not sure where i can do both of it. Checked with profx, they mostly deal with denon. Not the ones in my list

I like to demo these avrs but not sure where i can do both of it. Checked with profx, they mostly deal with denon. Not the ones in my list
Any particular reason you don't want to audition a Denon AVR? I don't think there is much to differ between a Marantz and Denon these days other than the external design and the badge up front.

I have used older Yamaha v485 and currently using SR5015 for past 2 years. I would recommend marantz over Yamaha mainly due to the music quality. It sound ever so slightly better. Also audessey is better than the solution offered on Yamaha.

Also if possible consider the newer models from marantz.

Hello Friends,

I am planning to upgrade my AV Receiver. Currently I am using Yamaha HTR-2064 (Yamaha YHT 196).

I have shortlisted:

1. Marantz SR-5015
2. Yamaha RX-A2A

Both are costing similar price.

For front channel I am using JBL Stage A170
Surround and center are from Micca Mb42x/c, which I will be upgrading later on.

Room size: 19x11. Placement is on longer side. Attached the room placement. Althoght the seating position now is closer then shown in image, at around 10-12 feet.

My uses will be 50-50 between Music and Movies.

Please advice which one to go for? How different is the sound signature of these two models?

Thanks in advance for all your help and advice. Cheers!!!

I would suggest Marantz but since your use is 50:50 for music and movies, why not Audition Pioneer L series & Onkyo Z50? Maybe a different SQ should make some difference.

485 is an entry level Yamaha. No match for SR series. One should compare with Aventage series with similar amplification.

But yeah, Audyssey is definitely superior.
True but if you look at the spec and under the hood of a2a, its looks no different then yamaha v6a. I feel proper aventage series starts at a4a

I would suggest Marantz but since your use is 50:50 for music and movies, why not Audition Pioneer L series & Onkyo Z50? Maybe a different SQ should make some difference.
I thought about z50 and almost have booked it but then restrained because of the price. My max budget is 100k and z50 was costing around 135k

I have used older Yamaha v485 and currently using SR5015 for past 2 years. I would recommend marantz over Yamaha mainly due to the music quality. It sound ever so slightly better. Also audessey is better than the solution offered on Yamaha.

Also if possible consider the newer models from marantz.
Thanks Raj for sharing your experience, but new Marantz cinema series is quite expensive.

You should compare prices, features and specs and then take a call. One does not change AVRs every 3-6 years unless necessary. It should not be a situation where you regret buying something 6 months down the line of use. Afterall you are putting in a lot of money.

Most prefer the preowned route as it helps them to experience a new brand or model within a reasonable amount of investment for some time and then continue on that path. One has to be careful when purchasing preowned stuff in terms of its condition and availability etc. etc. This is indeed not everyone's cup of tea!

I thought about z50 and almost have booked it but then restrained because of the price. My max budget is 100k and z50 was costing around 135k
Thanks Raj for sharing your experience, but new Marantz cinema series is quite expensive.
Agree, Although the Cinema series looks very tempting, I think I will wait for a while till a nice reasonable deal comes my way perhaps towards then end of this year or whenever.

You should compare prices, features and specs and then take a call. One does not change AVRs every 3-6 years unless necessary. It should not be a situation where you regret buying something 6 months down the line of use. Afterall you are putting in a lot of money.

Most prefer the preowned route as it helps them to experience a new brand or model within a reasonable amount of investment for some time and then continue on that path. One has to be careful when purchasing preowned stuff in terms of its condition and availability etc. etc. This is indeed not everyone's cup of tea!
I completely agree with you. Thats why I am so confused. Its something we don't change every 2-3 years. I just want to make sure that I am getting the best as per my taste under my budget
And again buying preowned make more sense but validating the actual condition and reliability is a bit tricky and not my cup of tea.

I completely agree with you. Thats why I am so confused. Its something we don't change every 2-3 years. I just want to make sure that I am getting the best as per my taste under my budget
And again buying preowned make more sense but validating the actual condition and reliability is a bit tricky and not my cup of tea.
I’d suggested this in another thread - I have the Pioneer LX-505 and am very happy. The 5015 equivalent LX-105 is US only sadly. But the siblings Onkyo NR-6100 and the Integra DRX 2.4 are great options and both seem better than the SR-5015. 2 zone video, THX, 3 x 40GBPS inputs, Bluetooth aptX send and receiver. Also all three brands are offering 18 month warranty in India

I’d suggested this in another thread - I have the Pioneer LX-505 and am very happy. The 5015 equivalent LX-105 is US only sadly. But the siblings Onkyo NR-6100 and the Integra DRX 2.4 are great options and both seem better than the SR-5015. 2 zone video, THX, 3 x 40GBPS inputs, Bluetooth aptX send and receiver. Also all three brands are offering 18 month warranty in India
Even i heard good things about pioneer elite and onkyo. But i think the sound signature of these are little towards brighter side, which not as per my taste. And i am not finding any place to audition these. So I am sticking to either Marantz or yamaha

IMHO, if you are planning to use an external amplifier in the future then check the preouts on both. I am not sure if A2A has preout capability, but SR5015 has preouts for all the 7 channels on which I feel is a huge bonus.
I bought SR5015 recently (my second Marantz AVR), and it kicks some serious punch in music, and even in movies. I am using it in 7.1 config, but it does heat up while playing movies with Dolby Atmos content probably because all the 7 channel amplifiers are active. This is where I guess preouts help, in the sense that you can power some of the channels using the external amplifier taking some load off the avr, and hopefully increasing it's life.

Thank you friends for all your advice and insight. Its really helped a lot in deciding.

I finally decided to go Marantz way and bought the SR5015. Its really awesome both in term of music and movie playback. Its a big improvement compare to what i had earlier.

Thanks again... Cheers!!!

IMHO, if you are planning to use an external amplifier in the future then check the preouts on both. I am not sure if A2A has preout capability, but SR5015 has preouts for all the 7 channels on which I feel is a huge bonus.
I bought SR5015 recently (my second Marantz AVR), and it kicks some serious punch in music, and even in movies. I am using it in 7.1 config, but it does heat up while playing movies with Dolby Atmos content probably because all the 7 channel amplifiers are active. This is where I guess preouts help, in the sense that you can power some of the channels using the external amplifier taking some load off the avr, and hopefully increasing it's life.

The Marantz SR6012 I have has 2 inbuilt fans which give some cooling but I have added this which makes a big difference.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back