Rear: Yamaha NS555 (30-35k hz)
Sub: Focal 800v (32-160 hz)
LG BD550 connected to LCD 42" LG Jazz

My Crossover settings:
Front: 50
Center: 70
Rear: 80
LPF of LFE: 120

Sounding so low on bass & increasing the volume is making the sound harsh.. Tried different crossovers/audyssey & nothing helped..:sad:

ProFx are going to connect Denon receiver & show me the difference.. Current sound with surround is not even close to my old Panasonic SC-DK10 in Bass/surround..

Any suggestions in crossover frequencies/Settings that would help?

you can try increasing volume of individual speakers - in your case, maybe just the sub.
Try front freq cut-off at 100 (or 120) - and keep the same for all. See if you like it better.

Hi Anm, That is already done..

Currently each channel:
Fronts: @+3db,
Center: @+1.5db,
Rears: @+4.5db &
Sub: @0db

Also Individual channels HF/LF setting:
Fronts: HF @+3db & LF @-3db,
Center: HF @+3db & LF @0db,
Rears: HF @+3db & LF @0db

Intelli Volume set to +3db & Equalizer is set to off..

Also increasing the DB levels higher & increasing the volume is making sound more harsher..

Last edited:
Fronts: @+3db,
Sub: @0db

Also Individual channels HF/LF setting:
Fronts: HF @+3db & LF @-3db,

I am not an expert at this, just trying my (common) sense. Logically, to me it seems:

HF pushed +3db in fronts, compounded by +3db of volume increase, and also -3db on lower frequency. Is it not pushing too much on HF? Therefore system would be harsher as you increase the volume.

I would suggest no HF boost, increased sub output, and a higher crossover at 100 or 120. If you like the weight of sound then go ahead with tweaking further.

Hi Anm: Sorry a small correction to my previous post: HF/LF interchanged.. Settings below

Individual channels LF/HF setting:
Fronts: LF @+3db & HF @-3db,
Center: LF @+3db & HF @0db,
Rears: LF @+3db & HF @0db

Ofcourse tried 3 things as suggested:
1) Setting Intelli Volume to default 0db & keeping LF/HF @+3/-3 db (bass better than other 2)
2) Set all LF/HF to 0db & kept intelli volume = +3db (Flat with lesser punch bass)
3) Made all 3 to 0db (Flat no base at all)

What really is surprising is in all the 3 modes, the variation of Mid Range/HF is so dominating than LF that even few db increase in volume is making sound harsh even when setting HF to -10 db (lowest possible).. There is no punch in bass even with a volume of 75 @absolute scale..

Hi Robin,
Are your speakers new? If yes then give them some more time to break in.
Now the 875 is a very potent receiver & should be able to drive the focals fairly well.
step1.Try connecting only the front main speakers & listen.Your focal 836 should be giving good bass on their own.
2.Connect the mains & subwoofer (2.1) & check.
If there are any phase cancellation, you should be able to observe it now easily. But I think audyssey can identify phase (polarity)issues (correct me if I'm wrong).
Ideally you should set the subwoofer at around 80Hz.
Also I hope you are using proper HDMi connection from the LG BD to 875.
All the best
Sam

Have you tried the Energy CF series? I actually liked them and own the CF-50 series.
They are very good value for their price. I have them driven by the 809, a receiver similar to the 875.

Samuel: The punch is not there even in stereo mode.. Adding sub is better.. But what really surprises me is 875 not able to drive focal 836..

Didn't experiment 875 with other speaker systems.. Focal demo was done using Denon (I think 3808 but didn't remember exactly) in ProFx & it was simply WOW.. Its not even coming close to 25% of how it sounded using Denon where 875 being higher end compared to the auditioned Denon receiver..

Beep: I already purchased the speakers.. So I donno how to make it better..:rolleyes:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back