Matching Speakers for REGA BRIO

What is your amplifier placed on? Are you using stock feet or any isolations? Sometimes (especially with budget amps) putting folds of cotton towels under the feet could tame the highs and also some of the boom if it’s coming from vibrations travelling back into the amp. Doesn’t cost trying. Needs some experimentation though. If your speakers and amp aren’t absolutely mismatched (they don’t seem to be), then with speaker placement and isolation/vibration control for amp one would be able to get it to sound right. Of course the sound signature remains - but usually one gets used to one’s signature as long as the rig is sounding right.

Finally, if you still resolve to change the speakers, as a Castle Knight user I’d support the recommendation already provided by two FMs above as well-built speakers with ‘warm’ signature in the budget and matching with the amp.

What a funny world we live in :)

Iam using an active crossover with passive magnetic TVC preamps, and then audio processors for bass correction :D

I started as a purist...but not anymore after I've seen the benefits :)
That's right! In my opinion, correction tools can be a cost effective solution in scenarios where the electronics and speakers don't match or if the system fails to present the sound in the way one wants.
But when you have a well matched, excellent sounding system (source, amp and speakers are in synergy) that align with your tastes, I don't think EQ is required at all. Even the high end cables for that matter. I agree that this part is tricky, and sometimes difficult to achieve and time consuming. Using EQ is an efficient way to address these mismatches.

Source : Laptop with Windows 7 + Schiit Mod2 DAC
Few things before changing speakers-

Windows 10 sounds much better than Windows 7.Sometimes source can be an issue to cause shrillness.Also check settings in playback device.It it 16bit 44100 or upsampled.Any conversion may change sound +very or -be way.

Different speaker wire or analog interconnect may improve sound to your liking.

Placement of speakers again another factor to check.There may be more reflection from side walls.

When I hear warm, Castle speakers come to my mind. The knights 2 are bigger stand mounts and they may pair well with your Amp. But before getting rid off the existing Zensor 7, try different speaker placement to see if the boomy bass and piercing highs can be controlled. One quick fix for boomy/muddy bass is to avoid placing speakers close to the wall. Since you've already pointed out that the highs are bright, you may perceive it even brighter if the speakers are pulled far away from the wall. To address the highs, identify the first reflection points and treat. If you have the habit of removing the speaker grills while listening, just try with grills on. This can help tame bright highs to a limit. These are easy to try and see if you like the sound, if nothing seems to work, change the speakers.

I'm not inclined towards using an EQ, so can't recommend using a software and fiddle with dB and frequencies. I have heard a lot about miniDSP, and it can offer a solution if you try the EQ way.

Thanks Robin. One of the corners for the left speaker I can't avoid, I can't try for different speaker placement because of room size and it's shape. I always listen to speakers with grills on :). The final option, by treating room I can eliminate the brightness else change the speakers.

The final option, by treating room I can eliminate the brightness else change the speakers.
Room treatment can tame only the reflected sound waves (Absorb or Diffuse) but cannot completely eliminate perceived bright highs. High frequencies are directional too, so experiment no toe-in, off axis listening may also help.

Hi friends,

Please suggest me a warm sound signature bookshelf or mini-tower speakers for pairing with REGA BRIO (50wpc @ 8 ohms).
So I need smooth highs and adequate base not boomy.
Presently I'm using Zensor 7, It has a very good low-frequency effect but boomy in my living room & high freq are very shrill.

Room size : 16 X 11 ft
Budget : 50-70K
Genere of Music: Bollywood n Telugu
Source : Laptop with Windows 7 + Schiit Mod2 DAC
Open for Pre-owned.

Thanks.
TRIANGLE

Picking up an old thread here, but will the Rega Brio work with active speakers, such as the Ruark MR1 Mk2?

Or will the fact the speakers effectively have an amp in them already cause problems?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back