McIntosh MA 6300 and MA 6600 V/S Naim 5i and XS

panditji

Today, I also heard the MA 6300 and the 6600 again....these were amplifiers I was lusting for since hearing them last year but I realised that I was after their blue VU meters and the fit and finish all along.....

First up, hooked the MA 6300 to a pair of Focal Chorus 826 floorstanding speakers this time with heavy duty thick cabling and power supply....Sounded ok, nothing very exciting considering the price tag.......next connected the MA 6600 to the same speakers and the sound was much better...the 6600 had a better control over the speakers and the bass was tighter than with the 6300...the overall sound was more refined and smoother but the downer was the price tag of almost 55,000 RMB ( 1 RMB = 9 Rs.)

I then asked the dealer to connect a Naim XS to the same set and the sound immediately changed to a more musical and controlled sound....the 60 W Naim XS handled the bass even better than the MA 6600 and it was far more musical...the mids and bass became better and it sounded musical than the McIntosh amps....
Just to get an idea, I chnaged the amp to a Naim 5i and the sound remained similar to the XS....maybe I got used to sound of XS and was not able to hear any changes but for the price, I think the Naim 5i is a superb amplifier if the speaker load is not much as it is 50 watts per channel...

I think the naim 5i and XS are products which are simple and do their job extremely well at prices below the competition...

Thus my lusting for McIntosh products end today......Naim has a new addition to their fan base.....

P.S. - If I win a lottery, I will definitely buy a big McIntosh amp to put in my living room as they are extrelemy good looking and those blue vu meters will have people complimenting me on my fine choice....the sound is good too....

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back