media player for audio

nandac

which is considered the best media player for audio - audiophile standard.

i am not interested in playing any video through it. only for listening to music.

appreciate the feedback.

which is considered the best media player for audio - audiophile standard.

i am not interested in playing any video through it. only for listening to music.

appreciate the feedback.

you are talking about a media player software or a hardware (like xtreamer, wdtv etc..)

I purchased voyage hardware. Only problem was I wanted to run music from usb hdd, and use usb dac. Didn't work out well. Will try streaming via network.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you mean a software player.

I've tried most of the ones out there, and I always come back to Foobar2000 (with WASAPI). JRiver MC comes a close second. I've not yet tried JPlay (which is supposedly very good).

If you're on a Mac, look no further than Amarra: Beats the socks off Foobar2000 and JRiver MC (on a PC).

i think the question is if i have a lot of music on an external hard drive, is it necessary to have a computer to access/play the hd?

so a device which not only has its own hd but also can hook up to and play ex-hd would be an advantage.

Squeezebox is the favorite here .. Will you use it with a dac or straight analog ?

as needed to get the best sound possible.

btw doesn't squeezebox have its own dac?

if it does, but still its dac isn't good enough, i would rather spend the money on a superior dac and a device which can just access/play the hd.

i have heard the squeezebox with analog out and its good, but i dont think its great.
I think most of the folks on the forum use it as a transport only, ofcourse that it has its own screen helps.

Also for some reason i have never been happy with the digi out of wdtv- maybe a coaxial out would have helped. Maybe folks have better expereince with other media players.

I have also been looking at a good transport with a screen and i think at the price the squeezebox is the best option I could find.

There is more than one Squeezebox, although the Touch is the one usually talked about here. Think of it like a CD player: if the DAC is not good enough, you buy an external one. Of course, if no-one-can-live-without-a-stand-alone-DAC marketing has got to you, you buy one anyway ;)

My view of the Squeezebox is that its primary purpose is to be a [wifi] networked music player. People are using the Touch as a stand-alone media server: is it the best thing for this job?

i think the question is if i have a lot of music on an external hard drive, is it necessary to have a computer to access/play the hd?

so a device which not only has its own hd but also can hook up to and play ex-hd would be an advantage.

Any standard media player like himedia, asus o!play, wdtv everything will play media from your external hdd, some of them also have a internal hdd slot, but all of them practically have a pretty bad DAC..so what I feel would be best is that u buy a cheap media player like asus o!play mini, use the optical out to send it to a DAC (there are many..starting from 8-10k going into 20-25k for decent ones), and use the DAC RCA out to send it to your amp/powered speakers..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

any Linux box, will become a good transport with an external dac in the chain. it needn't be big or fancy

Tapatalk on my cdma S2 !!!

You need a M1 clic.
It has an excellent DAC and preamp built in.

Okay, I don't know why anyone not suggesting apple tv. but it works well for me.

I'm able to listen any song from my computer via iPad as remote control or player. I'm in love with Airplay.

Okay, I don't know why anyone not suggesting apple tv. but it works well for me.

I'm able to listen any song from my computer via iPad as remote control or player. I'm in love with Airplay.

Cause he wants to attach an external hard drive, which cannot accept an external HDD through USB, only through PC, which he doesn't want to do. Of course after jailbreaking, he can use a NAS, but still no USB hdd, as far as I know..will be happy to know otherwise, in case you have found a workaround to that..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back