Mega IC Shootout

If noise immunity is important your experiment may not be the optimal solution.
I am frankly not sure, as I will have 4 runs of 2 Mtr cables (2M from Streamer to Sub & 2 Mtr from Sub to Speakers), so I believe that RFI shouldn't be an issue - not 100% sure. The idea is to preserve the sound characteristics of a certain cable, which sadly is only available unbalanced. Hence this whole experiment. Another problem is that my sub has XLR in & out and the combination does sound way better together when I use the High pass on the sub (Much closer to what my goal is, even without much fiddling), rather than try to integrate it where the speakers roll off. Hence this long way around.

** The cable I want to use is Mogami 2497 Neglex, which for some reason sounds incredible in my setup, I know cables do make a difference, but this one really stands out by a mile. I have used various cables in the past few days, . Hence - I am hoping to be able to create an XLR with that - due to the subwoofer issue mentioned above.

***Moderators - if you feel my posts are off-topic from the general idea behind this thread - please create a separate one, I do not want to spam this thread.

Great to find a thread dedicated to ICs with so many brilliant minds in here. So as always I come with a question - :)
1. Is it possible to make a balanced cable out of 2 unbalanced cables? I understand 2 core for XLR & 1 for coax (minimum); so if we use 2 unbalanced cables, for example 2 runs of a Mogami 2497 & use the cores for the 2 live connections and solder the shield on both for ground for an xlr. Wouldn't that be a balanced cable?
2. If it is are there any reasons why this practice is not common? Is this supposed to cause issues?

**I did ask Ali & he did say - it isn't possible, & I didn't want to bug him further, hence came here for more elaborate explanations.

Thanks!
Super Question that deserves deep thought.

Making a correct electrical connection is trivial.... 2 ( or even 3 ) runs of your fav Mogami 2497 will provide balanced electrical connections.

This is however an audiophile Chat, so as Chander has amplified in his post # 206,

"The idea is to preserve the sound characteristics of a certain cable,"

What exactly creates a cable's sonic signature, is part Black Art ... But the science part says its dependent on the Cable's Inductance, Capacitance, Dielectric used & the Shield.

Most Reputed Interconnect manufacturers, offer their cables either as Single Ended or as Balanced ..... The Implicit message is that both - Single ended or balanced essentially sound tyhe same. Any difference in the final sound is due to the Pre amp / DAC / Power Amps preference for Single Ended or Balanced ...

This implies that BOTH - the manufacturer's single ended and Balanced interconnects essentially have the same electrical characteristics.

This is possible ONLY if the same physical cable is used for both Single Ended (Un-balanced) and Balanced interconnects.

Since Balanced interconnects require ATLEAST 2 Signal Conductors + Shield used as ground, Branded Cables that offer Unbalanced & Balanced interconnects will use such wire. For the Unbalanced Interconnect, the two signal wires are joined together to feed the RCA's central pin.

A closer look at the Balanced connector (unlike the unbalanced connector) shows that the Body is NOT used as the signal ground. There is a a separate pin (NOT Body) used for the Ground connection in a balanced connector.

This has led to some manufacturers using "True Balanced Cable" for their interconnects.

download.jpg

The above picture shows one such 'simple' cable construction.

61z34RnwYUL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

The Cable above takes it a step further and has identical conductors for the signal and Ground cables.

Note that the external shielding (Tape + Braid) are not essential in establishing the electrical circuit.

Some manufacturers (Like the Harmonix Cable I sold recently) offer the shield as an optional external Spade Lug termination, to be used at the sending / source side, to provide RF Shielding.

61788-58eb11def9bee4026f630ee5972788b9.jpg

To summarise, I believe Sound Foundations is correct.... the Mogami 2497 Neglex cable is not suitable for use in a Balanced Cable... using 2 or 3 parallel lengths will not preserve the sonic signature of the Unbalanced Interconnect using this wire.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back