Meridian explorer vs AQ Dragonfly v1

sidvee

Any comparison on these two, that any Fm's have done. There are good reviews praising the explorer, and I am tempted to upgrade to it as there is great pricing going on Amazon US. My only concern is that will there be audible difference between the two. Majority of my listening will be as a dac in a small 3rd hifi system or as a headphone amp/dac when I am traveling. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Sid

What version of AQ Dragonfly do you own 1.0 or 1.2?

Never heard the explorer, but did research a lot sometime back. From secondary sources what I understood: The Explorer seems to have the edge as far as sq goes but the difference is not going to be huge especially if you already own the v1.2 of the Dragonfly.

Last edited:
No I own the v1. I checked out 2 reviews that compared the v1 to explorer, I believe stereophile and comp. audiophile. In both they gave the edge to explorer but it was not an all out praise, hence I am hesitating. I might consider the director albeit at a higher price point. Don't want to spend approx. Rs. 12k on a new explorer for what might be just a slight improvement.
Cheers,
Sid

No I own the v1. I checked out 2 reviews that compared the v1 to explorer, I believe stereophile and comp. audiophile. In both they gave the edge to explorer but it was not an all out praise, hence I am hesitating. I might consider the director albeit at a higher price point. Don't want to spend approx. Rs. 12k on a new explorer for what might be just a slight improvement.
Cheers,
Sid

If you can, I would suggest you skip the explorer and jump to the director. These have been getting rave reviews all around. Especially if you are considering your DAC to be a part of a rig terminating to speakers.

Personal opinion: its easier to appreciate minor improvements or changes induced by a DAC on headphones/iems than on speakers(at least the ones I have heard). You will need a larger headroom for the change to actually translate onto speakers.

On a separate note, can I ask how you are you planning to get the meridian into India? Amazon does not ship these to India if I am correct.

Last edited:
On a separate note, can I ask how you are you planning to get the meridian into India? Amazon does not ship these to India if I am correct.

I was planning to get the explorer the same way I got the AQ, via shop and ship. The explorer is $150 on amazon with free shipping to the shop and ship collection point.
Amazon.com: Meridian - Explorer USB DAC: Computers & Accessories
I believe shipping via aramex (shop and ship) to India is $25 (it was $10 for AQ as the package was lighter) and approx. Rs. 2000 for customs, I paid Rs.800 for AQ, so approx 12-13k.
However, now I will plan for the director, and either pick it up on my next trip or have friends/family pick it up as it is higher cost and customs may not be friendly.
Cheers,
Sid

I have a Director but have not been able to compare it with any other DAC..but it has some issues while playing Hi-res files via the USB 3.0 as reported by other owners on the internet...however since I use it with USB 2.0, I do not have any problems and am happy so far with my purchase...
But would love to compare it with a NAD M51 or W$Sound DAC 2 or Benchmark....Anyone in Delhi for a shootout ????

Any comparison on these two, that any Fm's have done. There are good reviews praising the explorer, and I am tempted to upgrade to it as there is great pricing going on Amazon US. My only concern is that will there be audible difference between the two. Majority of my listening will be as a dac in a small 3rd hifi system or as a headphone amp/dac when I am traveling. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Sid

I used both , sold the AQ recently . AQ is bit flashy , dynamic and feels faster. In all other areas Meridian is better with the warm/laid back presentation

Just noticed Meridian Explorer at half price here. I didn't check if they ship out of USA though.

it is a limited-period RMAF offer.

<editing bit by bit>

No free shipping at this price, but

We offer Fed Ex, UPS and USPS shipping and ship worldwide!

Hats off to TTVJ, then. Too many American companies won't.

Last edited:
One can mail and ask if they will undervalue the package. I know for a fact that some UK sites do that if asked. No hassles with custom if valued under Rs 5k

One can mail and ask if they will undervalue the package. I know for a fact that some UK sites do that if asked. No hassles with custom if valued under Rs 5k

Not sure why the 5k limit. I have imported stuff via shop and ship significantly over 5k without any issues. Maybe you are referring to India post, that is a different matter entirely.
Cheers,
Sid

Not sure why the 5k limit. I have imported stuff via shop and ship significantly over 5k without any issues. Maybe you are referring to India post, that is a different matter entirely.
Cheers,
Sid

I meant if the package is valued under 5k they don't normally charge customs. You ship in anything valued over 5k into India you have to pay sth around 30% on DACs as customs+other taxes.

You either pay it when you pay for your product or when your package has to clear Indian Customs office. As far as I know that's how it works. Generally items valued under 5k or marked gift are not held for customs. A few items over 5k might slip through but generally you get charged.

I heard both before going in for the Meridian. Purchased solely to use as a headphone amp, but am quite content using it in my stereo system, as well. My reasons are as follows:

1. Sound. This is very clear from the first few notes. Typically Meridian, music has a certain ease and smoothness to it. The AQ, on the other hand, while a tad more dynamic, lacked what one might refer to as 'finesse'.

2: Hirezability. A matter of choice really. The Explorer does 24/192 as opposed to AQ, which is limited at 24/96 (not sure if the new version does higher)

3. Build: Besides the subjective preference for aesthetics of the Explorer, I thought the Dragonfly was slightly clunky, jutting out directly from the USB port. Prefer the fact that the Explorer had its own cable.

4. Brand Value: Again, something rather personal. If I'm buying a source component for a certain amount of money, I'd rather spend my money on a trusted name in high-end systems like Meridian, rather than a cable manufacturer.

Hope this helps.

Can the Geek Out be thrown into this? Is it possible that it is a giant killer?

I hate hype (it has put me off ifi, which I was watching with increasing interest before) and there is plenty with the Geek Out, but I'd hate my prejudices to put me off a genuinely good product --- especially if it is cheaper!

I'd rather spend my money on a trusted name in high-end systems like Meridian, rather than a cable manufacturer.

You may know that I take almost every opportunity to stab Audioquest in the ribs ;) but, honestly, I think you are safe with the Dragonfly. :lol:

i ordered for 150$ from amazon.com and 600 shipping for ShopandShip and 300 for customs.

Got my meridian today and i feel audio quality is good but cant compare with others as i have not experienced other USB dacs like dragonfly

i ordered for 150$ from amazon.com and 600 shipping for ShopandShip and 300 for customs.

Got my meridian today and i feel audio quality is good but cant compare with others as i have not experienced other USB dacs like dragonfly

Good price Raju. When I checked the weight of total package on Amazon it said 3lbs, so I assumed shipping would be higher at $25, but $10 is good. I am tempted to order one now just to compare with Aq.
Cheers,
Sid

Ok I just placed the order. Will compare to AQ and post my impressions. I am waiting for the line magnetic 502 dac for my 2nd system. Once that arrives I will move this to my third/head phone system. No point in getting the director for the 3rd system that will be used infrequently. Perhaps will put the AQ up for sale after I get the explorer.
Cheers,
Sid

The weight is less than 500 grams so SnS has charged only11$ including service tax and customs charged only 200rs as they must have felt its some cheap USB drive, customs has opened the packet, as Its not packed back properly and rs 100 customs brokerage charge from SNS, so costed me just around 10.5k INR

Last edited:
customs charged only 200rs as they must have felt its some cheap USB drive, customs has opened the packet, as Its not packed back properly and rs 100 customs brokerage charge from SNS, so costed me just around 10.5k INR

Usually there is no fixed duty that customs charges. It may vary for the same item from place to place. However whenever computer based equipment is described in the invoice - in this case USB dac - my experience has been that customs is very low. I believe that computer equipment has a lower duty structure approx. 20%. Secondly when you use a shipper to clear customs usually they get a better rate than us trying to clear directly(because that is their daily work and they grease the wheels well:lol:). I paid 800 for the AQ dragonfly about 4 mos ago.
Cheers,
Sid

Sid,

Please do post the comparison between DragonFly and Meridian.

May be run in the meridican for some days and post experience after at least a week or more of listening.

i was very confused, what to buy and finally got Meridian as many reviews online say its better. i finally took a call based on brand value :)

I believe that computer equipment has a lower duty structure approx. 20%. Secondly when you use a shipper to clear customs usually they get a better rate than us trying to clear directly(because that is their daily work and they grease the wheels well:lol:). I paid 800 for the AQ dragonfly about 4 mos ago.
Cheers,
Sid

The duty on computer accessories is 21.4%. I completely agree with you. Shippers end up costing much less. I paid 3000 rupees as duty for a 5000$ dac :lol: as it was declared as a computer accessory.

Back