Metro Music Hall - Kolkata

shibashis

I am looking for an older NAD amplifier to go with my Usher speakers. Not looking to spend much, this is very much a trial phase to see which amp suits the Ushers. Later on I am likely to use the NAD as a power amp alone.

I recently bought a Cannon 10-18 lens from M.M. Photography in Metro galli in Kolkata for my North Sikkim trip (Kolkata members will be familiar with the shop) and decided to check if Metro Music has anything good to offer since both the shops are in the same area.

I previously bought a Philips 242 turntable from them and it has been a good buy.
Anyway, I was promptly told that their products are all brought from Singapore (yes yes of course :lol:) and are not tinkered with in anyway, all the components are original. They could not give me a model number but said they did have a NAD and the price would be around 7500.
Well, I can take a chance with 7500 perhaps but any advises whether I should from Kolkata members?

Hi Sibashis,

If you are ready to take chance then why worry. Go ahead and buy it.

As far as my recent experience goes with MMH their sources have dried and most of the promises are not fulfilled. Still I visit them time to time just not to miss anything. But off late nothing interesting.

Also don't believe their words(which is far from truth mostly) and use your own judgement before deciding. And one more word of caution, never go to them for any repair job. I know all of the so called techs sitting in their 1st floor workshop and they are nothing but sadak chhap. There are far better and knowledgeable techs available in Calcutta.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Bhaskar

Shibashis,

I went to MMH way back in 2000-2001 and at that time I was so stupid to miss a Luxman Amp for 5K. I thought it would be some local brand :eek:hyeah: During those days I was mad fan of Sonodyne and only Sonodyne. I bought few (quite a few) items from there and they were good. Anyway that is my story.

I have some other individual dealers' phone number from Kolkata who are genuine people and deals with used hi-fi. One of them have hell of a vinyl collection which are not for sale :) Let me know if you want his number to check out if he has anything good for sale.

One more thing, when you visit again, can you just check with MMH if they have any good TT for reasonable price? That is for me.

Shibashis,

I went to MMH way back in 2000-2001 and at that time I was so stupid to miss a Luxman Amp for 5K. I thought it would be some local brand :eek:hyeah: During those days I was mad fan of Sonodyne and only Sonodyne. I bought few (quite a few) items from there and they were good. Anyway that is my story.

I have some other individual dealers' phone number from Kolkata who are genuine people and deals with used hi-fi. One of them have hell of a vinyl collection which are not for sale :) Let me know if you want his number to check out if he has anything good for sale.

One more thing, when you visit again, can you just check with MMH if they have any good TT for reasonable price? That is for me.

@Koushik,
Hope you don't mind sharing the number of the dealer; I am also looking for used gear.

Thanks for the replies.
While it is only 7500, I would still like it to be worth it in the longer run. What I mean is if I get the amp (of course I am yet to see it even so whether I will be buying it is far from certain at this point), and lets say it needs some minor repairs / modifications to perform to its actual potential then what are the chances / scope of that?
I will need reliable technicians for the job, from that aspect can this be a good deal? I do not want to spend the money only for the tech to later tell me everything is just an eyewash inside the amp. I recon it will be difficult to judge the amp by itself properly there due to it all being there setup, with speakers, cables and sources and so on. Looks like I will have to take a judgment call on the spot.

My ultimate goal is to get to a pre-power configuration and use the NAD as a power amp, ideally I want a 325/326 or something similar.

@Koushik: This week likely will not be able to make it, next Monday hopefully, I will lookout for decent TTs while I am there.
Numbers for other dealers are always welcome, for that matter any source of local used good equipment is like gold-dust in Kolkata.

@mpw: I have seen that C352, the owner is not looking to ship and also I am not looking to spend that much now, in a couple of months time maybe. The local options are just options, just looking to explore them and see if I stumble on to something nice. :)

Though I got my Technics and Rotel from MMH in very good condition and at through away prices, I found now they have nothing to offer.

They would give assurance only and insists to meet the next week to receive the stuff.

I have heard there are a few dealers offering pre-owned stuff. I think sale section of our forum is very safe and effective.

I picked up a Philips 242 from there. Working fine after a bit of extra reconditioning. They don't sugarcoat their offerings. What you see is what you get. As always, YMMV.

Hello All...I am new member in HiFi Vision and I am from Kolkata...Can anybody please let me know whether good stuffs are still available in MMH in Kolkata...I am looking for used gears from reliable dealers/shops etc...
Also as mentioned in this thread earlier, if I can get the number of the dealers then it would be great help...

My Current Setup:

Marantz PM5004
Marantz CD5004
Focal 706v BS
Sonodyne 2504 FS

looking for a used turntable and other stuffs also if I can get it in reasonable price...
Also any review and suggestion on my current setup and any upgradation plan is greatly appreciated...

Thank You...

Sorry to be updating the thread a little late, have not had much time lately.

I made it to MMH this Monday, the options presented were not very appealing. The NAD they said was available turned out to be an old AVR, among the amplifiers I asked if they had any old Sansui. A couple turned up, but both of them were from the 'A' series and not the AU models I was looking for. A quick search on Google yielded advice to stay away from the 'A' series as it was not really meant for a stand alone solution and build quality was not top notch as was with the 'AU' series.
Moreover I asked for their rated power and told one of them was rated at a huge 110W @ 8 Ohms! In fact it was only a 45W amplifier. There was a Denon available, did not note down the model number but it was in better shape at least visually.
On a more positive side I dealt with someone who looked to be the owner/proprietor, he was a polite person and gave me the option to take one home and if I did not like it I could change it later with some other option. I did not buy anything but will visit again in a few days as they were expecting some new things to come in..., so I can only wait and keep my vigil.

@Koushik: my knowledge of turntables are very limited, there were the usual assortment of options all around but I could not really pick out any special one, probably due to my lack of knowledge. If you let me know what and which ones to look out for I can inquire when I go next.

@Koushik: my knowledge of turntables are very limited, there were the usual assortment of options all around but I could not really pick out any special one, probably due to my lack of knowledge. If you let me know what and which ones to look out for I can inquire when I go next.

In case of TT, my knowledge is same as you. FMs with TT knowledge have to be on their toes during the 3rd week of April as there will be lot of queries coming for them and the turnaround time will be very less :lol:

@Shibashis - I will be in Kolkata from 11-19th April. Lets catch up one day in between at MMH baring the 15th.

Regards,
Koushik.

In case of TT, my knowledge is same as you. FMs with TT knowledge have to be on their toes during the 3rd week of April as there will be lot of queries coming for them and the turnaround time will be very less :lol:

@Shibashis - I will be in Kolkata from 11-19th April. Lets catch up one day in between at MMH baring the 15th.

Regards,
Koushik.

My knowledge is almost ZERO but still want to be a part of the meet at MMH. I pass by the shop often, but just do the window shopping as I think I will get lost as I really don't know what to really look for. :D

Amit, RMCWS, Shibashis - Let's meet on 14th of April at/near MMH. That is the best suited date for me. Will it be okay for all of you?

RMCWS - Do share your name please.

My name is Ritesh. But most probably I will be out of town (most probably) from 11th and will be back on 16th morning. So cannot promise if I will be able to make it on 14th. If possible you can make it on 16th or onwards...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back