Mi Box 4k Review

sgajjala

Hi,
I am planning to buy Mi Box 4k. Any reviews would be helpful
The only reason I need this box is to get 5.1 surround sound with apps like Netflix and Prime Video.
I wanted to connect the HDMI port to TV for video and 3.5 audio jack from the box to my Onkyo receiver.
Has anyone tried the setup ? Please share the review so I can decide

I am using this fFor last six months. Using optical out into my power bookshelves. Have not tried 5.1. Works like a dream. By far the most economical solution for streaming to a power set up I know

Hi,
The only reason I need this box is to get 5.1 surround sound with apps like Netflix and Prime Video.
I wanted to connect the HDMI port to TV for video and 3.5 audio jack from the box to my Onkyo receiver.
Why setup like this ? if only for netflix & prime ten buy fire stick

I have Onkyo 3400 which doesn't support 4k . I plan to send video to TV thru HDMI and audio to the Receiver directly from the player.
This way I can enjoy 4k video with surround sound.
For some reasons, the TV is not doing a audio passthrough through HDMI

One of my friend is using MI Box 4k s optical connected to his avr and hdmi directly to TV he is getting surround sound from Amazon Prime . If you want to use Firestick use amazon basic hdmi to optical converter

Let us get somethings clear. 3.5 mm Jack has ability to carry only 2 signals. Left and Right channel. You cannot have surround sound on a 2 channel cable. DP, HDMI, Optical and SPDIF all support 5.1 channel surround. Coming to your problem, I think your TV is 4k while receiver is not 4k. Please clarify. Now if your TV is indeed 4K, it should be a smart TV also where all the apps you want will be on the TV. In that case, connect your TV eARC HDMI port to the receiver and you should have surround sound.

Let us get somethings clear. 3.5 mm Jack has ability to carry only 2 signals. Left and Right channel. You cannot have surround sound on a 2 channel cable. DP, HDMI, Optical and SPDIF all support 5.1 channel surround. Coming to your problem, I think your TV is 4k while receiver is not 4k. Please clarify. Now if your TV is indeed 4K, it should be a smart TV also where all the apps you want will be on the TV. In that case, connect your TV eARC HDMI port to the receiver and you should have surround sound.
Mi box 4k have a hybrid 3.5mm analogue stereo+ optical

Hi,
I've been using the Mi Box 4K for nearly a year.

I have the 3.5mm/Optical out connected to a 5.1 Soundbar (a Polk 9500 BT) via optical cable. It does not have 5.1 output via the 3.5mm/Optical outs. It only outputs 2 channels.

The official specs say "Dolby Audio + DTS 2.0 Digital Out". Yamaha describes this as: "DTS 2.0 + Digital Out denotes the dual ability to pass the DTS encoded digital bitstream to an external DTS decoder for playback as well as fold down the digital surround soundtrack for playback in a 2-channel environment through analog outputs."

That said, I'm quite happy with this device. The bang-for-the-buck quotient is quite high. The only other drawback (other than the limitation of the sound output) is that it does not have an Ethernet socket. It is WiFi only. (This has not been an issue for me at all).

It has built in Chromecast, and the USB port on it supports a few USB DACs. It can also be used to connect a hard drive or USB drive.

My TV supports 4k. However I connected the same way hdmi to avr. But AVR doesn't show it as DD. But when I connected fire tv to avr, it properly shows DD plus. Unfortunately I have only fire stick not a 4k one. I just wanted to get it much cheaper rate. Mi is around 3.5k whereas fire tv 4k is 6k.

My TV supports 4k. However I connected the same way hdmi to avr. But AVR doesn't show it as DD. But when I connected fire tv to avr, it properly shows DD plus. Unfortunately I have only fire stick not a 4k one. I just wanted to get it much cheaper rate. Mi is around 3.5k whereas fire tv 4k is 6k.
Firestick 4K is on sale for 2999 for quite some time. In case you are yet to decide.

Can the MiBox play dsf files? Which app can be used for playing dsf files? Have not been able to get it to play dsf files. Thanks.

I too have a miBox 4k . Use it for it's optical out useCase (which takes a miniToslink).
Best part - can be used even with TV Off - this way I get Spotify through the optical out without turning the TV on. The remote can then turn it off when operation is over. In fact have not used it with TV for almost a year now :D

I too have a miBox 4k . Use it for it's optical out useCase (which takes a miniToslink).
Best part - can be used even with TV Off - this way I get Spotify through the optical out without turning the TV on. The remote can then turn it off when operation is over. In fact have not used it with TV for almost a year now :D
Yeah! It's a good replacement for CCA!

Firestick 4K is on sale for 2999 for quite some time. In case you are yet to decide.

Not much help. I have Onkyo 3400 supports only HD. Even if I connect fire tv 4K to AVR, it gives me HD 1080P video
MiBox 4k exactly fits my requirement. but as few forums I came to know that it only supports 2.0 thru optical.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back