Mi Box 4k Review

paras211

Can someone confirm if 5.1 works with mi box. It's a deal breaker for me. Currently using PS3 to stream Netflix to projector and optical out from it to stream to my 20yr old denon Avr. It does not have hdmi input just optical and other analogue ones.

rana_kirti

Hi,

Can fellow Mibox 4k owners confirm if it is able to decode/pass through Dolby digital 5.1 in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via optical cable to AVR..?

Thanks.

viveshsahu

Hi,
I am planning to buy Mi Box 4k. Any reviews would be helpful
The only reason I need this box is to get 5.1 surround sound with apps like Netflix and Prime Video.
I wanted to connect the HDMI port to TV for video and 3.5 audio jack from the box to my Onkyo receiver.
Has anyone tried the setup ? Please share the review so I can decide
make sure mi box supports multi channel audio by-pass. The hd version does not do that.

Devadarshan S

I've been using the Mi Box 4K for nearly a year.

I have the 3.5mm/Optical out connected to a 5.1 Soundbar (a Polk 9500 BT) via optical cable. It does not have 5.1 output via the 3.5mm/Optical outs. It only outputs 2 channels.

The official specs say "Dolby Audio + DTS 2.0 Digital Out". Yamaha describes this as: "DTS 2.0 + Digital Out denotes the dual ability to pass the DTS encoded digital bitstream to an external DTS decoder for playback as well as fold down the digital surround soundtrack for playback in a 2-channel environment through analog outputs."

That said, I'm quite happy with this device. The bang-for-the-buck quotient is quite high. The only other drawback (other than the limitation of the sound output) is that it does not have an Ethernet socket. It is WiFi only. (This has not been an issue for me at all).

It has built in Chromecast, and the USB port on it supports a few USB DACs. It can also be used to connect a hard drive or USB drive.
Bro!
Are you telling that Mi Box 4K doesn't support 5.1 through optical? (I have seen many videos and it does)
Then how do we get 5.1 experience?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!