Mi Box 4k Review

Can someone confirm if 5.1 works with mi box. It's a deal breaker for me. Currently using PS3 to stream Netflix to projector and optical out from it to stream to my 20yr old denon Avr. It does not have hdmi input just optical and other analogue ones.

Hi,

Can fellow Mibox 4k owners confirm if it is able to decode/pass through Dolby digital 5.1 in Netflix/Prime/Disney+ via optical cable to AVR..?

Thanks.

Hi,
I am planning to buy Mi Box 4k. Any reviews would be helpful
The only reason I need this box is to get 5.1 surround sound with apps like Netflix and Prime Video.
I wanted to connect the HDMI port to TV for video and 3.5 audio jack from the box to my Onkyo receiver.
Has anyone tried the setup ? Please share the review so I can decide
make sure mi box supports multi channel audio by-pass. The hd version does not do that.

I've been using the Mi Box 4K for nearly a year.

I have the 3.5mm/Optical out connected to a 5.1 Soundbar (a Polk 9500 BT) via optical cable. It does not have 5.1 output via the 3.5mm/Optical outs. It only outputs 2 channels.

The official specs say "Dolby Audio + DTS 2.0 Digital Out". Yamaha describes this as: "DTS 2.0 + Digital Out denotes the dual ability to pass the DTS encoded digital bitstream to an external DTS decoder for playback as well as fold down the digital surround soundtrack for playback in a 2-channel environment through analog outputs."

That said, I'm quite happy with this device. The bang-for-the-buck quotient is quite high. The only other drawback (other than the limitation of the sound output) is that it does not have an Ethernet socket. It is WiFi only. (This has not been an issue for me at all).

It has built in Chromecast, and the USB port on it supports a few USB DACs. It can also be used to connect a hard drive or USB drive.
Bro!
Are you telling that Mi Box 4K doesn't support 5.1 through optical? (I have seen many videos and it does)
Then how do we get 5.1 experience?

Let us get somethings clear. 3.5 mm Jack has ability to carry only 2 signals. Left and Right channel. You cannot have surround sound on a 2 channel cable. DP, HDMI, Optical and SPDIF all support 5.1 channel surround. Coming to your problem, I think your TV is 4k while receiver is not 4k. Please clarify. Now if your TV is indeed 4K, it should be a smart TV also where all the apps you want will be on the TV. In that case, connect your TV eARC HDMI port to the receiver and you should have surround sound.
I am not getting 5.1 signals through ARC.i have a Panasonic viera tv .it has optical port also. But not optical nor arc is giving 5.1 surround. ..it gives only PCM 2.0. av receiver I have is Yamaha htr 3067 ..
Only when I connect Mi box to receiver inputs and then receiver output to tv then I get Dolby digital Plus signals. I have not tried optical port connection from mi box to receiver..if it gives Dolby digital signals .. then it would be a easy connection..than HDMI..
Can someone please confirm..does mi box gives out Dolby digital signals through that mini optical port.

I am not getting 5.1 signals through ARC.i have a Panasonic viera tv .it has optical port also. But not optical nor arc is giving 5.1 surround. ..it gives only PCM 2.0. av receiver I have is Yamaha htr 3067 ..
Only when I connect Mi box to receiver inputs and then receiver output to tv then I get Dolby digital Plus signals. I have not tried optical port connection from mi box to receiver..if it gives Dolby digital signals .. then it would be a easy connection..than HDMI..
Can someone please confirm..does mi box gives out Dolby digital signals through that mini optical port.
When you connect mi box to TV via HDMI - all the AV signals are sent to the TV via HDMI. You can connect the mi box to any random HDMI port on your TV (not the ARC one). You then need to connect the eARC port on the TV to your 5.1 receiver.

However the mi box still emits the sound via the optical port - so you could also connect the mi box to your receiver via Optical cable.

When you connect mi box to TV via HDMI - all the AV signals are sent to the TV via HDMI. You can connect the mi box to any random HDMI port on your TV (not the ARC one). You then need to connect the eARC port on the TV to your 5.1 receiver.

However the mi box still emits the sound via the optical port - so you could also connect the mi box to your receiver via Optical cable.
Hello.. my tv does not have EARC port.. only arc..but I am not connecting mi box to arc..
The connection is.. mi box to tv hdmi port normal ( not arc). And tv arc to receiver arc via HDMI . This connection I was talking about.. which gives pcm signal..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back