mini dsp

renjith lal

Hi all,

My current HT setup consist of Arcam 850 Avr and I use Dirac for room correction.
I was wondering if the performance can be improved by using minidsp. At present I have not played with subwoofer position that much.
I understood the concept of using minidsp by looking at the subwoofer response and modifying the delay
to get better combined output from multiple subwoofer. I read lot on the internet and I am still wondering how it works with an AVR.
Does that mean minidsp should be on all the time when Avr is on and subwoofer is connected to minidsp output?

Please share your experience.
I know it works well with a two channel pre power combo.

Hi all,

My current HT setup consist of Arcam 850 Avr and I use Dirac for room correction.
I was wondering if the performance can be improved by using minidsp. At present I have not played with subwoofer position that much.
I understood the concept of using minidsp by looking at the subwoofer response and modifying the delay
to get better combined output from multiple subwoofer. I read lot on the internet and I am still wondering how it works with an AVR.
Does that mean minidsp should be on all the time when Avr is on and subwoofer is connected to minidsp output?

Please share your experience.
I know it works well with a two channel pre power combo.
Yes it will be on all the while and will take a pre out signal from AVR. It is useful if the amp or AVR does not have any course correction software like DIRAC. The fact that your AVR has DIRAC means that there is facility for PEQ / adjustment. Then what value add will the minidsp do ? Are you using DIRAC only for sub ?

Oh okay. Thanks for your reply.
I as using Dirac even for calibrating subwoofer. I have not done that much study with positioning of subwoofer and I feel I am not getting that much slam and it is also seen in the subwoofer response. I am also thinking of adding one more sub. That is why I was asking.

My AVR second sub out is not with lot of flexibility and I assume is not that advanced.

If your AVR has optional Dirac bass control, I guess, it works better than minidsp added externally.
Full dirac live calibration is available with Arcam850.
However it doesn't have independent bass management for subwoofer output 1 and 2.
I am planning to use to tune subs with minidsp and then do dirac live.

If AVR850 doesn’t have DLBC and if you are using more than one Sub, MiniDSP definitely improves bass performance. You can align multi subs perfectly using REW and miniDSP.
Ok, got it.
Did you use any other processors before moving to Trinnov?
How does it compare to other processors?

Ok, got it.
Did you use any other processors before moving to Trinnov?
How does it compare to other processors?
I had Monolith HTP-1 before moving to Trinnov.
With Trinnov, the sound is precise and provides a very good 3D sound field. Bass performance is the best I had experienced in my system. Even though I was using DLBC with HTP-1, I was not 100% satisfied with the bass performance, Trinnov corrected those bass issues without much tweaking.

I had Monolith HTP-1 before moving to Trinnov.
With Trinnov, the sound is precise and provides a very good 3D sound field. Bass performance is the best I had experienced in my system. Even though I was using DLBC with HTP-1, I was not 100% satisfied with the bass performance, Trinnov corrected those bass issues without much tweaking.
That's good to know. I have heard good things about Trinnov.
I was curious to know how it compares with Arcam AV41 and Anthem AVM90/70 processors.

That's good to know. I have heard good things about Trinnov.
I was curious to know how it compares with Arcam AV41 and Anthem AVM90/70 processors.
Not sure about Anthem AVM90, but heard only good things about it.
I tried both Anthem AVM70 and Arcam AV40 in my system before settling on HTP-1 a year back.

However it doesn't have independent bass management for subwoofer output 1 and 2.
This is how I have calibrated iam have calibrated my 3 subs with minidsp 2x4 hd and then with DIRAC LIVE BASS CONTROL. I tried connecting directly the subwoofers with ARCAM Av41 and calibrated with DLBC and then with Minidsp . For me connecting through Minidsp sounds better than directly connecting to AV 41.

Yes for ur case it will be best to do first with Minidsp 2x4 hd and then followed by DIRAC.

This is how I have calibrated iam have calibrated my 3 subs with minidsp 2x4 hd and then with DIRAC LIVE BASS CONTROL. I tried connecting directly the subwoofers with ARCAM Av41 and calibrated with DLBC and then with Minidsp . For me connecting through Minidsp sounds better than directly connecting to AV 41.
Thanks for your reply, in fact I was looking for some one using Arcam (Dirac) and using miniDsp.
Thanks for sharing the process.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back