Miniwatt tube amp

I think the 6 moons review is very clear. It very clearly says the Miniwatt is fast, lit up and resolving. However its not warm and tonally full. Thus it may not be a great match for Rethms which needs some fleshiness and warmth but is suited to Zus which are already a little fleshier and warm sounding.

Hi All,

We're glad to provide a sample to one of the HiFiVision members, but I'm new in the forum, may I know who is the right person to review the MiniWatt?

Thanks!
Cheers
Derek
MiniWatt

Hi All,

We're glad to provide a sample to one of the HiFiVision members, but I'm new in the forum, may I know who is the right person to review the MiniWatt?

Thanks!
Cheers
Derek
MiniWatt

ideally we should be looking at 2 people - some one with bookshelves and some one with floorstanders - both of them having >90dB sensitivity. Or another option is someone who has both.

I can volunteer to review them for hifivision - have mission m35 floorstanders having 92dB sensitivity but they are 3 way so I have no idea how the miniwatt will drive them. Though taking cues from the 6 moon's review it seem they are pretty capable.

Let''s see if we can find someone suitable for the job.:clapping:

whoever is doing it can invite people over! whoever is getting the review sample will probably have to pay customs on it so keep that in mind ;)

edit: i think its fantastic that a company is willing to send a review sample. derek you deserve a big round of applause!

Though taking cues from the 6 moon's review it seem they are pretty capable.

Let''s see if we can find someone suitable for the job.:clapping:

it might drive a three way but it will be better suited to a two way design. higher sensitivity is not the only factor here. i discovered this when i took the 15 watt el84 amp around to do demos. so make sure the speaker is the best fit for the miniwatt otherwise it'll reflect on the miniwatt. also the miniwatt can go around to a few places like a pub crawl on a weekend so people can listen to it with various speakers and see. i dont mind hosting it since i have single driver 92 db speakers. i also have a SET amp so you can hear two SET amps together. but on two conditions.
1. i am not paying any customs. whoever is interested in the audition ought to foot the bill.
2. i am not changing my speaker position cos its a pain to get back.

regards

that's a great step. May be you can send it to me :) I have some very bad speakers and if it sounds good on them, it should be a gem.

regards

Hi All,

Thanks!
Cheers
Derek
MiniWatt

The two names that come to my mind the foremost are Mr. Venkat and Cranky - they have the most exposure to variety of equipment, years of experience in this field and technical knowledge. Yes Dinyaar, Marsilians and others are there too. I do not mean to rate individuals, pardon me. Just felt that the most proactive and "senior" advisors were the best choice.

Supra (edit: and the others) I think you should defer the privilege to either of them. Please no offence.

Regards

Last edited:
yeah Venkat or Cranky sound like the best options, not for any other reason that they seem to have a variety of equipment and a lot of technical knowledge.

The two names that come to my mind the foremost are Mr. Venkat and Cranky - they have the most exposure to variety of equipment, years of experience in this field and technical knowledge. Yes Dinyaar, Marsilians and others are there too. I do not mean to rate individuals, pardon me. Just felt that the most proactive and "senior" advisors were the best choice.

Supra (edit: and the others) I think you should defer the privilege to either of them. Please no offence.

Regards

gobble has a good point..if either is willing it will help..

if possible, it would be better if there are two members from the same city to review...

as far as test equipments are concerned, members from the same city can pitch in ........or if any of the registered dealers are willing to put in an helping hand it would be better

Regards

i completely disagree. no offence to those nominated. this is my thinking. anm is interested so he's the best guy to audition it. i went back after my posting to see where everyone's located and nobody from bangalore is interested in buying. so no point it coming here other than general interest! anm looks like he's seriously considering it and he's in delhi. and anm pal if you seriously interested in buying something like a SET amp you better listen to it yourself otherwise you gonna be in big big trouble. having someone else listen and give you comments is a sure path to confusion cos remember no two people like the same thing. no two people's ears are the same either. also since you're in delhi you can take it over to viren's place and compare it with his SET amp and decide. viren's got an el84 SET amp for around that price and the big plus is that with him you can upgrade to his more expensive amps by trading in ;) he also has single driver speakers and for bookshelves am sure you can cart the amp around to dealers. you dont need tech knowledge. you need your own ears to listen and see if what you're hearing gives you goosebumps or not. if not all the tech wizardry in the amp will be of no use ;) after that you can probably send it along to someone else for a review for all of us.

regards

hey stevie, what's the price of Viren's el84 SET amp?

i completely disagree. no offence to those nominated. this is my thinking. anm is interested so he's the best guy to audition it. i went back after my posting to see where everyone's located and nobody from bangalore is interested in buying. so no point it coming here other than general interest! anm looks like he's seriously considering it and he's in delhi. and anm pal if you seriously interested in buying something like a SET amp you better listen to it yourself otherwise you gonna be in big big trouble. having someone else listen and give you comments is a sure path to confusion cos remember no two people like the same thing. no two people's ears are the same either. also since you're in delhi you can take it over to viren's place and compare it with his SET amp and decide. viren's got an el84 SET amp for around that price and the big plus is that with him you can upgrade to his more expensive amps by trading in ;) he also has single driver speakers and for bookshelves am sure you can cart the amp around to dealers. you dont need tech knowledge. you need your own ears to listen and see if what you're hearing gives you goosebumps or not. if not all the tech wizardry in the amp will be of no use ;) after that you can probably send it along to someone else for a review for all of us.

regards

^^let anm, cranky, venkat as well as others make their stand clear on themselves reviewing it...i think its a non issue to find mutually agreeable reviewer.....

why the controversy? Even I would say Venkat, Cranky, Murali, Sridhar (ARN) and others audition it. I was just kidding when I gave the reason for auditioning that my speakers are the worst.
I am sure we can rotate the amp into multiple cities via courier.

apologize psycho....and others....

ultimately the end result is a good review of the amp so that people who are actually interested in buying such an amp would be interested. Since I too was in the lookout for an stereo amp for some time - i thought of might as well nominating myself as no one else seemed interested.

If some one else does the review - be it venkat, cranky or some one else - go ahead man.

Anyway guys - in the next 2 months you will see such tube amps being manufactured by an Indian guy and would fit in a budget. I am supposed to be tight lipped here but thought of dropping in a hint.

venkat/Cranky/moserw/anm/ others......... - please take the onus of reviewing the miniwatt

ok - so it is decided. It goes to cities in the following order

==> pune (supra) He has missions that are in budget of many people on the forum so his review will impact lots of people. Maybe someone with wharfies in Pune can also try it.
==> chennai (venkat) - no reason needed
==> kolkatta (cranky) - no reason needed
==> bangalore (steive) - to compare with lyrita setup and on high efficiency single drivers.
==> hyderabad - moserw
==> mumbai??
==> delhi ncr (anm, viren, heliumflight??) - anm to experiment with bad speakers, viren (we are dragging his name here, not sure if he would even be willing).

Feel free to reorder this sequence.

How much time should it stay in each city? I think it would only be possible to gather people and do an audition - so 1-2 week everywhere. Most critical auditions should be done in first month?

regards

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back