MKV : is it the right format for DVD backup ??

Spidey

Hello

Lots of people use MKV format to store backup of their movie DVDs.

Which is best MKV software?

Hello

mkv is most common..
others are mp4 and m2s

softwares
fairuse, if u want simple..
megui if u got some time..

Hello

Actually MKV is not a formatt, its a container and is preferred, when you want to rip and compress your DVD or BR.

Anyway back up can be done in different ways depending upon your preference. The different variants can be ....

1. Complete backup full size that includes all menus and complete structure of the DVD or BR .....

Solution is to rip the DVD/BR in ISO, using DVD decrypter (Thats the best out there for creating ISO images (it does loads of other things as well). Or you can simply use NERO or Ashampoo burning s/w to create ISO.

2. Compressed Backup reduced size (same quality) that includes all menus and complete structure of DVD

This is the best solution for DVDs, for BR we are still at infancy stage, but tools are coming up. for DVD use a powerfull tool called DVD Shrink, what it does it, it shows you all the elements of a DVD including every thing mastered on a DVD. Now there are lots of things that you do not need in a DVD, like for example subtitles, or the DD sound track since you also have DTS. You can choose to omit these and remaster the DVD without touching the Video quality. At the end you get a reduced DVD with same quality maintaining the DVD structure)......The tool also lets you adjust the video quality incase you want more compression.

Incase of BR, there is a Guide written my MilOtis, where in you can backup your BR in to DVD9 without compromising the quality. You can keep the menus and maintain the structure as well, but that might increase the size a bit, else you can omit it and backup just your main movie. The guide can be found at the below post ....

http://www.hifivision.com/blu-ray-d...ray-hacked-pirated-how-true-3.html#post119408

3. Compressed backup reduced size (somewhat reduces quality) No menus just the main movie.

This is the most common used technique, and all the uploaded movies on net uses this one. You use a codec (preferably x264 for BR and Divx/xvid for DVD) a container (again preferably MKV for BR and AVI for DVD) and compress the main movie from the DVD or the BluRay.
You get a pretty reduced size with a very decent quality. There are loads n loads of application available to do this. For DVD I would suggest xvid4psp. you just need to rip the main movie from a DVD (use Any DVD or DVD Decryptor) and then use xvid4psp to compress the movie to Divx/Xvid.
Another tool a bit high on its learning curve it VitrualDub which can also be used for DVD compression

For BR its a bit complected, BRs are huge and structure is complicated, involving multiple and a bit complected steps. You can find loads of guides online, but the method I would recommend is the one below, Mind you, you need a blazing fast computed to encode a BR to say under 3,4 GB.

Guide for Re-encoding Blu-ray to x264 MKV With MeGUI RIBO Labs

For all conversions make sure you have all the codes installed on to your machine, before you begin......Google for more detailed guides for the applications I have mentioned.

Hope this helps .....

how long it takes for a DVD to be ripped to MKV ?

is it few hours ?

Depends on the machine and the application as well, but on an avg a machine with , C2D@>2.5 Ghz, 4+GB fast RAM, 7200RPM HDD should not take more than an hour or at the most 2.

BR is altogether different ball game, Corei7, 2.5Ghz, 8+GB RAM 7200 RPM HDD should take atleast 15-17Hrs (2 pass method, with a single pass should come down to 10hrs) to convert a 40GB BR to 3,4 GB MKV.
Profile :: 1280x544 @ 5mbps bitrate Video
DTS Audio @ 600+kbps bitrate

I agree. For option 3, MeGUI is one of the best around. For DVD especially other options like GK and AutoGK maybe tried.

I have a lot of backup in ISO format ( complete rip).
How can i store it in MKV ?
whould there be any benefit of converting to MKV from a media player's point of view ?

If you have enough space in the HDD and your H/w or S/w players can handle the DVD folders as they are, then you can keep the original content. You might still want to process the badly mastered DVDs to remove the black bars and de-interlace the video. Handbrake does a real good job of it. You get a better than original video if you choose H.264 encoding at 75% quality and slower de-interlacing algorithm. MKV works well as the container for this.

Thanks,
Sharad

I have a lot of backup in ISO format ( complete rip).
How can i store it in MKV ?
whould there be any benefit of converting to MKV from a media player's point of view ?

Read.... my..... post......:) And yes makes absolute sense to compress considering the quality we get playable on Media players ......

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back