Mobile phones with hi-fi DAC chip

sudhirbhosale

Hi
I am planning to buy mobile phone. Since music is one of the key requirements, I searched phones with high res DAC (do not use onboard standard DAC). Iphone and Samsung models use Wolfson DAC but those are costly. I saw lot of info about LG G and V series. LG was first company to go for dedicated DAC on android with 32-bit Hi-Fi DAC . So would like to hear from forum about these models.
https://www.androidcentral.com/does-my-phone-have-dac-explaining-dacs-and-amps-smartphones-today

My questions:
What exactly is difference between G and V series? G series have B&O DAC, G6 QUAD DAC, V10, V20 uses ESS DAC.
Is it worth buying these models
Can phone DAC used to play music from laptop? By bypassing laptop DAC?
How great these DAC compare to dedicated DAC of around 15K price? (the lowest phone V10 comes at 18K)

Any pros cons of this approach / mobile models?
Any limitation. One I observed that, phones with dedicated DAC dont have FM e.g. iPhone. Any corelation here?

Thanks

I strongly believe a mobile phone should not be thought of as the sole source for playing "high-res" music, at least, for now. This is similar to the way how the professional photographers feel about the phone cameras.

If at all, your primary source would be the phone & you intend to feel & enjoy music, hook it up to an external DAC & speakers.

BTW, I did like a line in the article that you have linked to.. "You don't have to be an audiophile to enjoy listening to music. What matters is how it sounds to you." ---- Food for thought! :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I strongly believe a mobile phone should not be thought of as the sole source

I did not think of a phone being a source at all really, till I read about these chunky audiophile sandwiches - DAC battery amp - etc recently.

The Eitr page on schiit.com says "Why would I need a USB to SPDIF converter? you might ask. Well, maybe you dont. Maybe youre already using our Gen 5 USB input. But if you arent, this is a great way to convert virtually any computer, tablet, streamer, or phone into a dedicated, high-performance audio source"

Ofc you would need to have things to pipe this output through. To be tried when I get it.

Is it worth buying these models

My POV, a phone is very useful versatile Reynolds pen like device which is either lost, stolen, broken, obsolete or just plain boring in a depressingly short period of time. So I spend only as little on it as possible. I want phone, location and internet features, I privilege the other singing and dancing functions very little or not at all. Like I said my POV

ciao
gr

Last edited:
The LG V30 is a very good buy for music, just as the Pixel is for the camera.

Of course there will always be comparisons and folks stressing the superiority of dedicated gadgets (like external DAC, DSLR camera), but the smartphones of today are no slouches either.

Hi,

I too started planning to buld a boombox, and I plan to play music most of the time through my smartphone (Bluetooth) but do not want to utilise the phone's internal DAC for A2D conversation, hence I'm planning go below route.

Phone-->Bluetooth 4.2 module-->(I2S output)-->DAC Module

I'm anticipating a good sound quality thorough this build when compared to a normal Bluetooth speakers/smartphone's internal DAC or even better SQ compared to High end phone.

Amy thoughts or suggestions are welcome

Regards
Bilal

I have used lg v20 for high resolution music. It is definitely comparable to fiio x5 ii generation.
U can also try audioquest dragonfly Black v1.5 with any android or iPhone.
Rt now I am using my s8 plus with G2 4D in earphones (gearbest). Fantastic sound quality with even 320 kbps, saavn. Good instrumental separation and wide soundstage

Hi,

I too started planning to buld a boombox, and I plan to play music most of the time through my smartphone (Bluetooth) but do not want to utilise the phone's internal DAC for A2D conversation, hence I'm planning go below route.

I'm anticipating a good sound quality thorough this build when compared to a normal Bluetooth speakers/smartphone's internal DAC or even better SQ compared to High end phone.

Regards
Bilal

Hi Bilal
What is progress on this? Which DAC you are planning to use?

Thanks

Hi Bilal
What is progress on this? Which DAC you are planning to use?

Thanks

Hi Sudhir,

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't visited this forum from many days as it doesn't work with Tapatalk anymore.

Regarding the progress I'm still waiting to import the parts for the project, recently had bitter experience with customs while importing, hence thought to give it few days or a month before buying parts again.

I'm planning to use below mentioned Bluetooth module and DAC in my project

Bluetooth Module
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32829936762.html

DAC Module

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...expid=4c60a8b0-a2ac-4cd7-84d0-e21af4ead6ff-12

Power supply module

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...32818407214&shortkey=qmAVNbUf&addresstype=600

Last edited:
Hi Bilal
Great to hear !!
I saw Quad Link D-1 USB Audio DAC in OLX and in hifi mart as well. It is great DAC as good as Cambridge audio, Arcam.
Another thing: I met one DIY person also trying to build DAC like you in Hyd. I told him abt you, may be we three can meet sometime.

Thanks

Hi,

Regards
Bilal

Taking audio through from audio with bluetooth will make crosstalk ratio 0dB but there is a problem... If the Bluetooth module wasn't good build. It will make a lot of white noise and +THD... This problem isn't happening on Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones... They are using amazing PCB cards and chips... Amazing build!!! I wish to learn did you got good sound?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back