Checking file system on /dev/sda1.
File system version 1.0
Sector size 512 bytes
Cluster size 4 KB
Volume size 16 MB
Used space 96 KB
Available space 16 MB
Totally 0 directories and 0 files.
File system checking finished. No errors found.
pi@moode:~ $
Likely your SDHC card is bad. See if you can format it on your windows or mac and see what size it shows. I suspect even on windows it will show 16MB.

pi@moode:/media/0675-FAD0 $ df
/dev/sda1 16384 96 16288 1% /media/0675-FAD0

@mbhangui and @premoddev , The size of USB has srink to 16 MB only, Any resolution ?
I guess mkdir will be working now. and df -i will not show 0 0 0

Reformat it now and see if that fixes the issue. I have come across this issue with duplicate SDHC cards. sandisk has the most duplicates in the market. In all cases, reformat has never fixed the issue and even on mac, the size gets reduced. I suspect this device has gone bad. But no harm in doing a reformat.

So this is what I did and restarted pi

pi@moode:~ $ sudo umount /dev/sda1

pi@moode:~ $ sudo mkfs.exfat /dev/sda1
mkexfatfs 1.3.0
Creating... done.
Flushing... done.
File system created successfully.
pi@moode:~ $ sudo fsck /dev/sda1
fsck from util-linux 2.33.1
exfatfsck 1.3.0
Checking file system on /dev/sda1.
File system version 1.0
Sector size 512 bytes
Cluster size 4 KB
Volume size 16 MB
Used space 96 KB
Available space 16 MB
Totally 0 directories and 0 files.
File system checking finished. No errors found.

pi@moode:/media/0675-FAD0 $ df
/dev/sda1 16384 96 16288 1% /media/0675-FAD0

@mbhangui and @premoddev , The size of USB has srink to 16 MB only, Any resolution ?
It seems the usb drive is having multiple partitions and you have formatted the first one.
Can you run fdisk -l and report?

I

Indeed @premoddev and @mbhangui

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 114.6 GiB, 123060879360 bytes, 240353280 sectors
Disk model: SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: DD5A296B-E8DF-48EC-AF45-A2C7F712A088

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 34815 32768 16M unknown
/dev/sda2 34816 240353246 240318431 114.6G unknown

how to merge them?
The easy way is to use gparted
else you can use fdisk /dev/sda
and use d to delete the first and second partition
and then c to create a new partition
and then w to save
after that you can use mkfs to create a new filesystem

but gparted is the easiest.

Indeed @premoddev and @mbhangui

pi@moode:~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 114.6 GiB, 123060879360 bytes, 240353280 sectors
Disk model: SanDisk 3.2Gen1
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: DD5A296B-E8DF-48EC-AF45-A2C7F712A088

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 34815 32768 16M unknown
/dev/sda2 34816 240353246 240318431 114.6G unknown

how to merge them?
Exactly as suspected, you have two partitions and formatted the first one.
It's easier for you to connect it to a PC or Mac and delete both partitions and create ne single one, then format with your choice of filesystem.
If you format with ext4 on Linux, it will not work on windows if you connect.

this is what I have on my system

/dev/sda2 /Music/HINDI exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2
/dev/sda3 /Music/ENGLISH exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2
/dev/sda4 /Music/REGIONAL exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2

once you resized the partition try this way the uid and gid should of your logged in user

this is what I have on my system

/dev/sda2 /Music/HINDI exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2
/dev/sda3 /Music/ENGLISH exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2
/dev/sda4 /Music/REGIONAL exfat defaults,rw,noatime,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0000 0 2

once you resized the partition try this way the uid and gid should of your logged in user
I think your's is a proper hard disk. The OP has a SDXC card of 64 gb where it's partition table got corrupted and become two partitions while the filesystem parameters were for a filesystem on a single partition, resulting in strange errors. These cards have a limited write operations and I believe the OP will not use them as a serious storage device. I have encountered such strange errors with partitions automatically shrinking with sandisk (all purchased online) and I suspect them to be duplicates. Never happened with samsung evo cards.

@mbhangui @premoddev , what is my best bet if I want to store all my songs, USB HDD 2.5" or external HDD 3.5" or SSD?
I use HDD 3.5". Why? because the plater has a larger diameter (radius). The distance travelled by the larger platter in one revolution is = 2 * pi * r. Hence for the same speed, the larger disk is faster. A typical 10k rpm sata hard disk will easily give speed > 100 Mb per sec, which is more than enough for music playback. SSDs will easily give 5x the speed of mechanical hard disk. Don't go by the SATA interface speed which is 6 Gb per second. That is only the sata interface speed. You will not reach that speed even with SSD.

SSD will give much higher speed than a mechanical hard disk. But when it comes to reliability, the good old hard disk has higher write cycles provided you don't power off the hard disk when it is running.

SSD have become better and better but they still have limited write cycles. I have myself encountered few SSD failures on macbook pros. My hard disks are still running fine since around 2006. You don't require SSDs for music playback. But they are good for the OS. If the SSD crashes you can always reinstall the OS. I personally don't use SSD for storing my Music and precious hard to get movies that I have collected in the past 20 years. But for the OS (my fedora laptop, my macbook mini, my HTPC all use SSD for the OS).

Last edited:
Fun fact, for long term storage, tapes last longer than hard disks. github has archived few projects according to some criteria in iceland and it is supposed to last > 1000 years. My own github projects have got archived in iceland and I'm now a artic code vault warrior as they say :D. My indimail code is part of the 21 TB 186 reels burried in permafrost. https://archiveprogram.github.com/arctic-vault/

The GitHub Arctic Code Vault is a data repository preserved in the Arctic World Archive (AWA), a very-long-term archival facility 250 meters deep in the permafrost of an Arctic mountain.​

For greater data density and integrity, most data was stored QR-encoded, and compressed. A human-readable index and guide found on every reel explains how to recover the data.The 02/02/2020 snapshot, consisting of 21TB of data, was archived to 186 reels of film by our archive partners Piql and then transported to the Arctic Code Vault, where it resides today.
1657123034067.png

Hi @mbhangui , I do have one WD 1TB lying idle somewhere, but to connect this I need some sort of casing , right?
I am totally noob in this , if possible , would you please tell me which casing I should go for, any link will be helpful.
Thanks.

Get any enclosure that gives you usb 3.0 and a power supply adaptor. The power supply adaptor must always be connected. This will ensure that even if the supply to the raspberry pi is cut off, the hard disk head will not crash on the platter. Cutting off the power to hard disk is the best way to destroy it.

Will sudden power cutoff create a problem as we have very frequent power cutoff at our place?
Yes. If the disk is spinning and you cut off the power, the read/write head will crash on the magnetic platter and destroy few sectors making it unreadable / data corruption. Sometimes the head gets damaged and the disk will not read. Best is to have a the power supply adaptor to the raspberry pi and the hard disk connected to a UPS.

Nowdays one also gets tiny UPS for running routers, etc. They will be enough to run the hard disk and give you time to shutdown properly.

e.g. these are 12v UPS and can supply power to the hard disk. For RPI you need 5v. I think there are UPS with both 5v and 12v supply

These are with both 12v and 5v.

If you have a backup UPS for desktop PC, then that also will do

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back