Moodeaudio Player not detecting pen/hard drives

srikar2011

Hi friends,

I recently installed Moode on my pi. I could able to hear radio stations fine and my Moode (Pi) able to detect SD card, but it is not detecting my thumb drive or hard drive.. why Moode player is not detecting?

Appreciate your help.

Regards
Srikar

Please go to configure> sources and click update media db.. Also if it is external hdd it must either be powered or else pi will have to max out usb current by tweaking config.txt

Please go to configure> sources and click update media db.. Also if it is external hdd it must either be powered or else pi will have to max out usb current by tweaking config.txt

Thanks, I could able to see my thumb drives and hard disks.

How to add/see the folders or the directory of my music files in moode?
These folders are available in my laptop and some are available in internal diskdrive of my media player. Both these files I could able to see in my laptop network. The options I could see in moode are SD, USB, NAS.

Regards
Srikar

Top right pulldown > Configure > Sources > select USB and hit Update.

Once the update is complete, the "Library" tab on the bottom will display all the music content (I'm assuming the music has been tagged properly) sorted by tags (Genre, Artist, Album).

I just started using MoOde, so the names of the menu items might be a bit different, but I guess you will be able to get the general drift from the above. :)

A question related to this topic :

I would like to power Pi by a 5A power supply. And would like to attach a HDD (1-2TB) from which the pi will read music.
What all changes i need to do in config.txt as well as how to set upper current max level so that the HDD also gets sufficient power?

Thanx.

On cmdline $ sudo nano /boot/config.txt
Once the file opens add a line: max_usb_current=1
Then either sudo reboot from command line or restart from menu.. Connect the hdd, should be mounted provided you used a decent usb power input of atleast 5v/2a for pi2 or as recommended for pi3

Why can't you plug your usb drive to the Mac and copy your files?

You can be root on Moode, by " sudo -i " and then try create folder and copy files.

I can see my external USB into moode Library , but while scp copying some files from my local mac to this USB drive failing , says no permission. I am scp copying through user pi , since USB drive has only root permission
pi@moode:/media/D90A-16E8 $ ls -lrt /media/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Jan 1 1970 D90A-16E8

pi@moode:/media/D90A-16E8 $ mkdir Songs
mkdir: cannot create directory 'Songs': Permission denied
Ok. This is normal, especially if /media is owned by root. You can umount by using the command

$ sudo umount /media

Ok I tried below command and failed with different error
pi@moode:/media/D90A-16E8 $ sudo mkdir Songs
mkdir: cannot create directory 'Songs': Cannot allocate memory
Sudo not able to create directory indicates that the disk is mounted read only

Ran mount command
pi@moode:/media/D90A-16E8 $ mount
This command doesn't mount. It just lists mounted disks

/dev/sda1 on /media/D90A-16E8 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)
Exactly what I suspected.
  1. What filesystem is this?
  2. errors=remount-ro indicates this disk has some errors and was mounted read-only to prevent further damage.
If this is ntfs, I would urge you to use either ext4 and in the worst case vfat formatted disk. NTFS gives the worst performance. But here the important thing is that this disk has errors. Was this disk unplugged without safely ejecting it? Was the computer switched off without shutting it down and with this disk connected? Any of this can cause disk error. If this is a mechanical drive, then errors can also happen becase of wear and tear or disk being powered off while read/write operation was in progress.

Do I need to format to different file system? How shall I copy my local mac files to moode USB drive? @mbhangui @surfatwork any help , Thanks
vfat, fat, ntfs, ext4, zfs, xfs will all work. But the command fsck will work only for the unix based filesystem. For vfat, fat and ntfs filesystem your disk has to be free of all errors to be usable. I suggest you run repair disk on your windows system (I'm presuming that this is a NTFS filesystem created on your windows machine).

You can mount the disk ignoring errors by doing the following. But be warned that ignoring errors may further make the situation worse

$ sudo umount /media
$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media

Last edited:
@premoddev , I did try this and got this
pi@moode:/media/D90A-16E8 $ sudo -i
-bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

root@moode:/media/D90A-16E8# mkdir Songs
mkdir: cannot create directory 'Songs': Cannot allocate memory
The disk is mounted read-only beause of errors. Even with root you will not be able to do any write operation.

Its mounted read write only

/dev/sda1 on /media/D90A-16E8 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=ascii,shortname=mixed,showexec,utf8,errors=remount-ro,uhelper=udisks)

Issue is something else...

Even if i format to ext4 , how do i make it writable @mbhangui ?
If disk doesn't have any error, it will be mounted writeable. But with ext4 you will not be able to use the disk on windows or mac. But if like me if all don't have any windows machine you can use ext4. vfat is the fastest and also portable across linux, mac and windows.

Its mounted read write only

Issue is something else...
I missed the rw thing. @csd508868306kant unmount the disk and mount it manuall and see what errors you get

@csd508868306kant it is possible you don't have the full drivers installed

can you do
$ apt list --installed | grep exfat

If exfat-fuse and exfat-utils are missing, install them by the command

$ sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

this is installed already @mbhangui

pi@moode:~ $ apt list --installed | grep exfat

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

exfat-fuse/stable,now 1.3.0-1 armhf [installed]
exfat-utils/stable,now 1.3.0-1 armhf [installed,automatic]
Can you try manual mount and report any errors thrown on the screen

$ sudo umount /media
$ sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media

Have you tried creating folder anywhere else in the system, say /home/pi or /tmp ? I guess the memory allocation error may see there as well. It more like a memory allocation/leak issue to me, thats why asked to reboot it once and see.

With the disk mounted, what is the output of the following two commands

1. df -k
2. df -i

EDIT: What kind of disk is this? Is this a SD card?

yes I did , no luck.
pi@moode:~ $ mkdir test
pi@moode:~ $ ls -lrt /home/pi
total 8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1516 Dec 17 2021 piano.sh
drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Jul 6 17:42 test
Going back to beginning.. are you able to write on this USB disk when plugged to your Mac or Windows?

pi@moode:~ $ df -k
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 3998400 2870772 936356 76% /
devtmpfs 922392 0 922392 0% /dev
tmpfs 956184 16748 939436 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 956184 9612 946572 2% /run
tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 956184 0 956184 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1 258095 56002 202093 22% /boot
/dev/sda1 120146208 288 120145920 1% /media/D90A-16E8
tmpfs 191236 0 191236 0% /run/user/1000
All OK here

pi@moode:~ $ df -i
Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 0 0 0 - /media/D90A-16E8
0 total inodes
0 inodes used
0 inodes free

No wonder you cannot create any directory or file. This disk will be unusable on your raspberry pi, unless you fix 0 0 0 for total, used and free. A reformat will probably fix it.
This is finger nail size usb drive from SanDisk @mbhangui

The reason I asked what disk you are using is because you have installed a 32 bit operating system instead of 64 bit (by using moode). They hit a 32GB limit of the SDHC specification. The same card may work on your windows or macbook as they will be a 64bit os.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back