Mother of all Media Players !!!

DTS HD/MA or DD TrueHD does not necessarily meant the movie would be encoaded in 8 discrete channels, if you pick a BR say Star Treak 09, you would find the soundtrack as Dolby-TrueHD but still encoaded in 5.1. Its about the Bit rate and sampling rate that counts more.
But yes I agree there ARE still few title that has discrete 8 channels, but there are really very few, infact could only dig up 20,30 titles when searching, so the argument still holds with the fact if it is worth a 7.1 effort.

I dont understand what you are trying to say other than what soundsgreat and me had mentioned. Havent you noticed the words "BluRay movies (and rips also) in 7.1, but not all"? If it is a 5.1 encoded, it will be clearly mentioned at the backside of the disk. In that case, it is supposed to function only 5.1 analog outs unless if there is some setting enabled to do the simulation of a 7.1. But i doubt whether the BDPs and similar media players support this simulation other than AVRs.

Last edited:
But none of them have what I want (or folks like me want) Support for HD Formats (not just passthrough but also onboard decoding ) and such !

Hi, Dune BD Prime is not one of its kind device. There is PCH C-200 & devices like Pioneer ETap are in making which possess similar caliber.

Like I have mentioned in this forum before, all media players have a life span of 2-3 years max. The SoC manufacturers (like Sigma) keep rolling new chips in 2-3 years. When new chip comes a new breed of media players come in market. Eventually the older devices lack firmware support. So no matter how much powerful the media player is, it is going to get outdated in 2-3 years.

You mentioned about onboard decoding of HD audio. Its nice to have feature. But personally I feel that job should be done by a dedicated receiver only. Remember there is nothing like master of all trades. Sigma 8642, though a powerful chip, can not match audio decoding capabilities of AVR.

You also mentioned about 7.1 analogue out. Again its nice to have feature. But when you can pass 7.1 stream in raw or processed format over HDMI, why one would need separate analogue out?

If the selection criteria is capability to play all known AV formats known to mankind... then better use an HTPC with Blu Ray drive. For 40k one can have a decent HTPC with Xonar or Radeon 5 series card that will offer future proof solution. In fact as the development is happening, there is second wave of small footprint HTPCs (like those based on ION) gaining popularity. Coupled with linux based XBMC that directly boots into Media Player interface, they offer near CE experience.

Hi,

Well Before I reply let me take this opportunity to clarify that this reply is only Aimed at shedding some lights on misconception people have bout stuff and its not directed at any individual ;) !!

Also in this thread I will only reply henceforth if there is substantial need for it !! This thread was posted thinking it would help people !! So who so ever think it does not may please refrain from bashing :D !

That said now will come to the point !!

No movie is encoded in 7.1 discrete channels, they just use the cross-channel encoding also referred to as matrix encoding to split the rear center surround channel in to 2 (surround left and surround right)

Well buddy please check the facts before proclaiming such things ! Sajith has correctly interpreted my post on the matter !!

But still let me try to clear this doubt once in for all !

There does exit a number of discs with TRUE 7.1 Ch sound ! and the very purpose of creating the Master Audio formats was to enable this (which cannot be done by existing ones) besides the adding the advantages like Lossless and such !!

Here's what DTS says bout the format !

Quoted from this DTS-HD Master Audio

A disc encoded with DTS-HD Master Audio delivers ALL of the information from the original master recording bit-for-bit, it's identical to what the sound engineers laid down. Audio doesn't get any better than this.
7.1 channels, for more intense movies and music

DTS-HD is capable of 7.1 channels of sound, totally immersing you in movies and music. (Remember, a typical 5.1-channel system consists of two front and two rear speakers, a center-channel speaker, and a subwoofer / bass management channel, which is the ".1") By using two additional channels for "side surround" speakers at your left and right sound can be more accurately placed in your listening room. This means that special effects pans, like jet-fighter flyovers or arrows whizzing past you, will be more dramatic and life like.

DTS-HD Audio in 7.1 channels is amazing when listening to music, too it's like being in the front row of a concert hall, with instruments and voices placed in different locations in your listening room.

Now to the actual list of all the disc with 7.1 discrete channels !! these are only a fraction of what is available as of now and many many such to come in the future !!

* 3:10 to Yuma
* The Arrival (Release date April 21st 2009)
* Bach: Orchestral Suites No.1, 2 & 3 / Tripelkonzert
* Bangkok Dangerous
* The Bank Job
* Be Kind Rewind
* Beethoven - Mendelssohn: Violin Concertos - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Belly
* The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
* Black Mask
* Busoni: Doktor Faust Blu-ray
* Chris Botti in Boston (Release date March 31st 2009)
* The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
* Circle of Iron (Release date May 19th 2009)
* The Condemned
* CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The First Season Blu-ray (Release date May 19th 2009)
* Daddy's Little Girls
* Dark City
* Dead & Buried
* Delta Farce
* Disaster Movie
* Doctor Strange
* The Doors
* Dragon Tiger Gate
* The Eye
* Fast Company (Release date May 19th 2009)
* Fearless (Directors Cut)
* Ferruccio Busoni: Doktor Faust
* The Final Countdown
* The Forbidden Kingdom
* Giuseppe Verdi: La Traviata at La Scala
* The Golden Compass
* Good Luck Chuck
* Grieg - Piano Concerto / Symphonic Dances / In Autumn - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Hairspray
* Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour
* Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle
* Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
* Hellboy II: The Golden Army Universal
* Hellboy II: The Golden Army Collector's Edition
* House of a 1000 corpses
* House of Fury
* Hulk Vs.
* The Invincible Iron Man
* Ip Man
* Johann Strauss: The New Years Concert in Vienna - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Lady Cop & Papa Crook
* La Traviata at La Scala
* Lust Caution
* Meet the Browns
* The Midnight Meat Train
* Mr. Woodcock
* My Best Friend's Girl
* Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow
* The Nightmare Before Christmas
* Nino Rota: Complete Music For Viola /Violin and Piano - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Oldboy
* The Orphanage
* Pan's Labyrinth
* Perhaps Love
* Pinocchio
* Protege
* Punisher: War Zone
* Rambo (2008)
* Red Cliff
* Red Cliff 2
* Repo! The Genetic Opera
* Run Fatboy Run
* Rush Hour 3
* Saw IV
* Saw V
* Secret
* Semi-Pro
* Shoot 'Em Up
* Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Sleeping Beauty
* Space or Dream of Life
* Spatial Dynamics
* The Spirit (Release date April 14th 2009)
* Star Trek - The Original Series - Season 1 (Release date April 28th 2009)
* Star Trek: Motion Picture Collection: The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home, The Final Frontier, The Undiscovered Country (Release date May 12th 2009)
* The Stendhal Syndrome
* Step Into Liquid
* Tchaikovsky - Piano Concertos Nos. 1&3 - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Transporter 3
* Two Evil Eyes (Release date March 31st 2009)
* Ultimate Avengers
* Van Wilder
* Verdi: Rigoletto
* Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico - The Best of Violin Concetros - Acoustic Reaity Experience
* W.
* Wagner: The Best of Overtures & Preludes - Acoustic Reality Experience
* Waiting...
* War
* The Warlords
* Weeds: Season Two
* Weeds: Season Three
* Weeds: Season Four (Release date June 2nd 2009)
* Witless Protection

Source : The Official Blu-ray forum

Now if still one thinks this pointless discussion the I have nothing to say !!

You also mentioned about 7.1 analogue out. Again its nice to have feature. But when you can pass 7.1 stream in raw or processed format over HDMI, why one would need separate analogue out?

Boss may be to people like you !! but for people like me who are not just interested in these new ages boxes of crap with HDMI and what not and who are very much happy hooking their multichannel power Amps to the devices with said output it makes a world of difference !!

Like I have mentioned in this forum before, all media players have a life span of 2-3 years max. The SoC manufacturers (like Sigma) keep rolling new chips in 2-3 years. When new chip comes a new breed of media players come in market. Eventually the older devices lack firmware support. So no matter how much powerful the media player is, it is going to get outdated in 2-3 years.

Well Good God, Sir which technology in todays date is expected to last forever ?? today its technology by force not by choice !! they make you throw stuff even if its perfectly good ! A number of examples say this !!

Take SACD for one,Take DVD-Audio,Take HD-DVD ! Take any such new age tech and you know what is the life span we are talking here !!

Last but certainly not the least,A small piece of Info on these Media Players !!

All the Media Players till date produced or developed are by Chinese and Taiwanese (some in their own name and some in other Famed Brands),

The super famous Popcorn Hour is chinese,so is Ac ryan and a gazillion more of them ! they have already established themselves and are here to stay !! So its just matter one's own belief to either buy it wait forever for some alternatives to come or to see the product sustain or such !!

Regards.

Hi,

Thatz like a brief outing....

We can learn and intend to research when there are bashes and inturn we will try to split our knowledge to prove ourself we are right,, otherwise long piece of information with examples could have missed:lol:

Thanks Man..:clapping:

Still i have some doubts.. will go thru fully.

Regards

By the by advance congts for nearing 1000 posts:clapping:

Last edited:
Hi,

Great piece of information that is soundsgreat! You have provided a extensive list of DTS-MA HD 7.1 titles, thanks for that, as I am currently planning to go in a for a blu-ray collection with the help of srinisundar and teky. The list was much useful! Otherwise, I am kind of guy who wants to be in the middle of gadgets so really not interested in something like this, instead would go for srini's idea, so that I will have more gadgets:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

But this player definitely seems to be a good one, which does everything a blu-ray player and HD media player can.

Cheers!

The list is even less than 2%, so I rest my case.... :)

Hi Sams, how can we expect a 100% (or a big market share) for a technology which is under development? Now a days almost all the movies (Engish) comes in BluRay and most of them comes with 7.1.

If you are claiming the above list was only 2%, do you know the remaining 98% titles? Coz', we cannot predict \ define the 100%. Since the new movies are coming in that format (same was the case when DVD with 5.1 came) you need to see \ compare the rapid growth in that segment.

Hi Guys,

Very recent movies in BD's were released in 5.1 only... So it doesnt matter 7.1 or 9.1 or 12.1.. we can hear a pretty good sound, if we have a good system. we are have only 2 ears.:mad:
Recent Blockbuster BD's released in 5.1

Final destination-4 - Released last week.
The dark knight- Released last year one of the block buster-
Star Trek -2009- Released approx 2 months back
Transformers - Revenge of the fallen - released last month

List goes on......:lol:

Big thing is Last year biggest blockbuster in Movies in top BD sales were of 5.1 , not even single is 7.1. Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Sales, Dec. 28 2009

Can we take there are no takers for 7.1 and it is an flop, since movies started released in BD from 2007 onwards in 7.1.. so all are happy with their 5.1 sound and setup.

Last edited:
Hi,
I've been Using it ,Its the best that i've seen in BDP's which can be streamed.
The BEst place to buy the product is USK Electronics,Hyderabad.Since i Bought it from their Store after a great research of PRices all over India.
Hope The info is Useful for people looking for video steaming com bluray players.

Hi,
I've been Using it ,Its the best that i've seen in BDP's which can be streamed.
The BEst place to buy the product is USK Electronics,Hyderabad.Since i Bought it from their Store after a great research of PRices all over India.
Hope The info is Useful for people looking for video steaming com bluray players.

what is the price they are quoting?? any disadvantages u found out... advantages we know...:)

Hi Sams, how can we expect a 100% (or a big market share) for a technology which is under development? Now a days almost all the movies (Engish) comes in BluRay and most of them comes with 7.1.

If you are claiming the above list was only 2%, do you know the remaining 98% titles? Coz', we cannot predict \ define the 100%. Since the new movies are coming in that format (same was the case when DVD with 5.1 came) you need to see \ compare the rapid growth in that segment.

7.1 is not under development, its there for a substantial amount of time, and I dont know how you came up with the stats but in fact 7/10 BR coming out of latest releases are in fact 5.1. There are very less takers for Discrete 8 channels. Most of us are satisfied with EX support. As per the current scenario, the future of Discrete 7.1 still seems far.....

and BTW that was my whole point, yes I do agree I was wrong on the part where in I though there are no Discrete 8 channels. but then again reason being as I pointed out.........too less movies coming out in Discrete 8 channels, so is it worth enough to promote a player with just that???

Dune Bluray Player i bought it after discount @ 35K

But still it's more than PanaBD-60+MOD+WDTVLIve/Xtreamer/PlayOn/ combo.

So whats the advantage of paying 35K for it, can you elobrate????
Like is it region free for Bluray out of the Box????

thanks.

But still it's more than PanaBD-60+MOD+WDTVLIve/Xtreamer/PlayOn/ combo.

So whats the advantage of paying 35K for it, can you elobrate????

thanks.

Well I can bring one.............All these Media players does not support HD Audio Decoding, all are passthrough, DUNE dose, I dont know if that is worth 35K, specially if you have an AVR to do the job. Also further firmware promises (though that promise is long pending) to have HD Audio Support. I am still waiting for Jukebox firmware though which should be out anytime now.......

Well I can bring one.............All these Media players does not support HD Audio Decoding, all are passthrough, DUNE dose, I dont know if that is worth 35K, specially if you have an AVR to do the job. Also further firmware promises (though that promise is long pending) to have HD Audio Support. I am still waiting for Jukebox firmware though which should be out anytime now.......

I guess for HD audio, bitstreaming to a HD audio decodable AVR is a good option. And have you personally tested for HD audio on DUNE, cause we cannot trust the spec's unless we test it on our own. Cause a lot of them just claim, but fail to function in reality. And you are waiting for the Jukebox firmware for which player??? Dune Prime3.0?????

cheers.

I was told by the national distributor that it is region free out of the box. But like others have said, I think then pricing needs to be checked. 35K seems too much for a NMT even if it has a Blu-Ray player. A good NMT is around 10K. Add 5K for 1TB, add another 10K for a Blu-Ray player. I see 25K as max.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back