Mother of all Media Players !!!

Well I can bring one.............All these Media players does not support HD Audio Decoding, all are passthrough, DUNE dose, I dont know if that is worth 35K, specially if you have an AVR to do the job. Also further firmware promises (though that promise is long pending) to have HD Audio Support. I am still waiting for Jukebox firmware though which should be out anytime now.......

A BDP can decode the HD Audio and o/p the analog audio.

@All, The simple alternative would be
- Pana60 + MOD / WD Live or a similar media player with Network support / A downloading or ripping simple PC
- A full fledged HTPC with BlueRay drive (cost will almost be the same including separate HDAV sound card for HDAudio and a stereo card (if required))
- A normal downloading or a ripping PC with BlueRay drive / WD Live with Network support (a must)

Any of the above options will be far cheaper than Dune.

Last edited:
A BDP can decode the HD Audio and o/p the analog audio.

@All, The simple alternative would be
- Pana60 + MOD / WD Live or a similar media player with Network support / A downloading or ripping simple PC
- A full fledged HTPC with BlueRay drive (cost will almost be the same including separate HDAV sound card for HDAudio and a stereo card (if required))
- A normal downloading or a ripping PC with BlueRay drive / WD Live with Network support (a must)

Any of the above options will be far cheaper than Dune.

Yep agree, but except for the HTPC and pana+MOD options you would not have HD Decoading, even the passthrough is not bitstream, so you wont get DTS-MA/DD-TrueHD from these media players (till the firmware upgrade comes), Pana+MOD wont play rips so you basically are left with HTPC or for now live without true HD audio (with media players). But considering the obvious fact I'd still say its better to bet on these current media players and hope for the FW update soon

Yep agree, but except for the HTPC and pana+MOD options you would not have HD Decoading, even the passthrough is not bitstream, so you wont get DTS-MA/DD-TrueHD from these media players (till the firmware upgrade comes), Pana+MOD wont play rips so you basically are left with HTPC or for now live without true HD audio (with media players). But considering the obvious fact I'd still say its better to bet on these current media players and hope for the FW update soon

WDLive can pass through DD TrueHD. DTS-MA will be added in some future firmware (for the time being the DD True-HD is more common).

To be more clear, the cheap alternatives are:
HTPC / Pana+MOD : DD True-HD and DTS-MA (decoding and passthrough)
WD Live / Xtreamer(?) : DD TrueHD pass through. Also a normal PC can be used to rip/download/stream the media.
So which one are yo going for: Dune or some other alternatives?

Last edited:
As far as the HD audio decode/bitstream capabilities from media players is concerned, First of all you should be ready to download a 45GB file......................................and I'm sure most of you are not even going to TRY downloading such a huge file, unless you have a 2MBps line running 24/7 with a dedicated download acc/-.:lol::lol:

cheers

So which one are yo going for: Dune or some other alternatives?

Who me?? I already have ACRyan.. :)

As far as the HD audio decode/bitstream capabilities from media players is concerned, First of all you should be ready to download a 45GB file......................................and I'm sure most of you are not even going to TRY downloading such a huge file, unless you have a 2MBps line running 24/7 with a dedicated download acc/-.:lol::lol:
cheers

I have 1Mbps unlimited running almost 24x7. And a rip need not be 45GB (infact no rip is 45GB) to get the HD quality, a decent 720p rip at 7-10mpbs bitrate can be as less as 2-3GB, enough for even a 47" LCD to display the HD quality.

Who me?? I already have ACRyan.. :)

I have 1Mbps unlimited running almost 24x7. And a rip need not be 45GB (infact no rip is 45GB) to get the HD quality, a decent 720p rip at 7-10mpbs bitrate can be as less as 2-3GB, enough for even a 47" LCD to display the HD quality.

I'm not refering to video, i'm refering to HD audio, if you need a movie with HD audio(DTS-HD-MA or DD-True-HD) the file size is bound to be more than 40GB. I've 10 movies with HD audio and they are 45Gb each. Any movie less than this size will have only DTS or DD 5.1 not HD audio.

cheers.

I'm not refering to video, i'm refering to HD audio, if you need a movie with HD audio(DTS-HD-MA or DD-True-HD) the file size is bound to be more than 40GB. I've 10 movies with HD audio and they are 45Gb each. Any movie less than this size will have only DTS or DD 5.1 not HD audio.

cheers.

+1 to this post. He is right. If you are getting a rip that is less than the size mentioned above (<30 gb), it will only have DTS or DD 5.1, you need substantially more space for these DTS-HD and the like.

Cheers!

Hi,

Am back,I said will post if I have some substantial thing to say or add and I have :D !!

+1 to this post. He is right. If you are getting a rip that is less than the size mentioned above (<30 gb), it will only have DTS or DD 5.1, you need substantially more space for these DTS-HD and the like.

You both though are right but not entirely !!! Its not compulsory that you need to have a file over 30gig to have HD Audio else it is not HD :p!

It depends on the kind of format you use to copy or backup the Blu-Ray ! In its native M2TS format the size is bit big of any material irrespective of HD or Non HD,the thing what format you use to take the exact contents and not lose any info or quality including HD Audio !

You can copy the main movie in TS form with HD Audio (DTS-MA,HD,Dolby Ture HD) and have the size of the file very less compared to M2TS !

I've done it so I know,for Example the Movie "TAKEN" is a DTS-MA and occupies 30+gig in native M2TS,Mux it in TS and the size drops down to 20-22 ! Another example is "X-men Wolverine" the actual size of the M2TS itself is less then 30Gig and when muxed in TS becomes <18gig !

Even I did the Hindi movie "Rock-On" released by BigHome in DTS-MA which was originally 34gig after the TS became again less 20 !!

So you don't have to decide based on the size,there's even news that,The latest MKV version coming will support all HD Audio ;) !

Regards.

Hi,

Am back,I said will post if I have some substantial thing to say or add and I have :D !!

You both though are right but not entirely !!! Its not compulsory that you need to have a file over 30gig to have HD Audio else it is not HD :p!

It depends on the kind of format you use to copy or backup the Blu-Ray ! In its native M2TS format the size is bit big of any material irrespective of HD or Non HD,the thing what format you use to take the exact contents and not lose any info or quality including HD Audio !

You can copy the main movie in TS form with HD Audio (DTS-MA,HD,Dolby Ture HD) and have the size of the file very less compared to M2TS !

I've done it so I know,for Example the Movie "TAKEN" is a DTS-MA and occupies 30+gig in native M2TS,Mux it in TS and the size drops down to 20-22 ! Another example is "X-men Wolverine" the actual size of the M2TS itself is less then 30Gig and when muxed in TS becomes <18gig !

Even I did the Hindi movie "Rock-On" released by BigHome in DTS-MA which was originally 34gig after the TS became again less 20 !!

So you don't have to decide based on the size,there's even news that,The latest MKV version coming will support all HD Audio ;) !

Regards.

Hi,

You'r right about converting to .ts thingy, but that is more on a personal level, cause most of the people who upload ripped movies with HD audio, do it so in .m2ts format itself................they do not convert it to .ts, maybe they are too lazy;). So as an end user, we need to get the 35GB+ files with HD audio and may be we can mux it to.ts if required.

thanks,
cheers.

cheers.

Ok yes for DTS-MA or True HD a rip would be atleast 15-20GB, but if we say "HD" Audio I'd say even DTS and DD comes under the scope, and a rip with DTS sound pretty decent if you ask me. Cribbing too much or carving for DTS MA/TrueHD in a rip would be asking for too much.......thats my personal opinion though....

At this price , this is not mother of all Media players .

Its certainly one of the sons of a HTPC ..

@35K , we have better stuff available in the market today ...

Agree with you and spiro. At 35k this is expen$ive! At this price one can have good HTPC or Xtreamer/WD + PS3 combo and $ave some money!!!

Besides, I am not sure about support on Dune products. Products from Syabas, WD, Xtreamer etc have very good online community as well as proven mfg support (in terms of firmware release etc).

One may tend to say its a high end product to justify its cost... but partly its a media player... meant to play ripped media... and quality is always a question in ripped media... so if the source itself is not of high quality what the high quality hardware will do to it?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back