MPD help for absolute beginner

saketselot

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some help on configuring MPD on my htpc. The setup is as follows:

AMD A6 based htpc running XBMCbuntu - USB out to my AUDinst MX1 DAC - analogue stereo stuff.

The HTPC is connected to the network through a cable to the router, and through another cable to the router is my WDTVLivehub and the 1TB disk on the wdtv is my primary network share.

So what do I want to do?

Basically run MPD on ubuntu and an mpd client add-on on xbmc to output to the DAC. All the music is on the wdtvlivehub drive.

What am I struggling with?
I just cant seem to figure out how to create the mpd database to pick up the audio files stored on the shared drive in the wdtvlivehub. And storing the music on a local drive in the htpc is not an option because the local drive is just a 30gb ssd - too little space. Needless to say I am an absolute beginner when it comes to linux. How would this work ? Can I just modify mpd.conf to point to the network share - took a stab at this and does not work though.

Side question
Howz the default music player in XBMC as compared to mpd as regards ability to play bit perfect, etc? I am asking this because the default xbmc music player is picking up all my network shared audio files without any problem and I have no desire to struggle a lot with above problems if the alternative is good enough.

Also, I know I can just get windows and do away with all my problems, but at 6k INR, windows home premium is just stretching my budget way too much. Hence the foray into opensource.

Warm Regards,
Saket Selot

1. Ensure that the network drive is mounted properly, /etc/fstab, note down the path.
2. Mpd normally run using userid mpd. Ensure that the directory, mounted from network, is readable by user mpd.
3. Change the directory in /etc/mpd.conf to point to the mounted directory.
4. As super user restart /etc/init.d/mpd
5. Execute command mpd update
6. If all the above steps are successful you should see all your songs listed in any of the client you use.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back