MTM Design Speakers -A Mid Budget Project

sadik

Hi Friends,

It’s been quite a time I have been off the forum; I mean, I have not uploaded any of new projects in recent time, I was too lazy to document it, I guess. I didn’t even bother to take some good photos during the built journey of this project.

This Project is an MTM completely designed & executed by ME, right from Enclosure design to crossover design. It’s a Mid Budget Project costing not more than INR 25K. Cost may increase if one goes for Premium Components for X Overs, Binding Post & of Course exterior finish of enclosure. The drivers used are I guess OEM for SONY may be this is what I was informed about the drivers. There were no TSP available so I had to measure them with DATS, once I got the TSP, the modelling was done in WINISD.

Project Cost.
Mid Bass Drivers: Rs. 4,000/- (4 Nos) – Including Transport
Tweeters ND28F-6 - 1-1/8" Soft Dome: Rs. 4,000/- (Pair) – Including GST and Courier
Enclosure Material with CNC cutting: Rs. 3,500/- (17 mm MDF)
X Over: Rs. 3,200/- Approx.
Connectors (MX Brand): Rs. 260/- (Pair)
Paint: Rs. 3,000/- for our job (May Increase or decrease, depends on how far one is willing to spend on aesthetics)
Damping (Sofa Foam): Rs. 500/-
Another 1000/- for Glue, Grill Guides, Mounting Hardware, etc.
Labor: 5000/-
Grill Cloth: Left over from earlier Project.

The Enclosure is 25 Ltr tuned to 55hz, the in room response measured is from 45hz to 20kHz. The Bass from such small drivers was amazing, I mean no one can actually believe the Bass was coming from the two 6.5-inch mid-bass drivers. This kind of bass I had heard was from Morel drivers, Very tight and punchy. I tested these speakers in open area, to my surprise the bass was well enough to fill the area, this was something I would say you rarely get from home audio speakers. Further to keep the things simple the cross over is also a first order crossover, The crossover point is 1.9kHz, Sound wise these speakers had a very tight and punchy bass (on spot punch), there was a little compromise in highs section as the highs were on a lower budget side, This can be overcome by using a good tweeter, may be SB acoustics "SB29RDAC" would be the perfect match for this speakers, But again the Budget would have gone up by another 7k. For Now I would say these speakers can give a tough competition to many Hi End Speakers within a Price tag of 50 to 60k.

Now sharing some Photos of built journey.
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
A Tea Break--- ;)
4.jpeg
Back To Work Now.
5.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg

The Drivers are mounted and are ready for taking measurements to create FRD and ZMA files. The tweeter seen in the below photo is a car tweeter, later it was changed and all measurements were done again with dayton tweeter. I do not have the photo with dayton tweeter so for a reference purpose this photo will work.
8.jpeg
Getting the measurements. many of you point out regarding the reflections caused by walls, to overcome this i have done gated response and generated FRD files.
9.jpeg
Final Outcome
11.jpeg
12.jpeg
10.jpeg

A recorded video for reference
MTM - Test Track

Hope you all will enjoy the video and the built journey as well.

Hi Friends,

It’s been quite a time I have been off the forum; I mean, I have not uploaded any of new projects in recent time, I was too lazy to document it, I guess. I didn’t even bother to take some good photos during the built journey of this project.

This Project is an MTM completely designed & executed by ME, right from Enclosure design to crossover design. It’s a Mid Budget Project costing not more than INR 25K. Cost may increase if one goes for Premium Components for X Overs, Binding Post & of Course exterior finish of enclosure. The drivers used are I guess OEM for SONY may be this is what I was informed about the drivers. There were no TSP available so I had to measure them with DATS, once I got the TSP, the modelling was done in WINISD.

Project Cost.
Mid Bass Drivers: Rs. 4,000/- (4 Nos) – Including Transport
Tweeters ND28F-6 - 1-1/8" Soft Dome: Rs. 4,000/- (Pair) – Including GST and Courier
Enclosure Material with CNC cutting: Rs. 3,500/- (17 mm MDF)
X Over: Rs. 3,200/- Approx.
Connectors (MX Brand): Rs. 260/- (Pair)
Paint: Rs. 3,000/- for our job (May Increase or decrease, depends on how far one is willing to spend on aesthetics)
Damping (Sofa Foam): Rs. 500/-
Another 1000/- for Glue, Grill Guides, Mounting Hardware, etc.
Labor: 5000/-
Grill Cloth: Left over from earlier Project.

The Enclosure is 25 Ltr tuned to 55hz, the in room response measured is from 45hz to 20kHz. The Bass from such small drivers was amazing, I mean no one can actually believe the Bass was coming from the two 6.5-inch mid-bass drivers. This kind of bass I had heard was from Morel drivers, Very tight and punchy. I tested these speakers in open area, to my surprise the bass was well enough to fill the area, this was something I would say you rarely get from home audio speakers. Further to keep the things simple the cross over is also a first order crossover, The crossover point is 1.9kHz, Sound wise these speakers had a very tight and punchy bass (on spot punch), there was a little compromise in highs section as the highs were on a lower budget side, This can be overcome by using a good tweeter, may be SB acoustics "SB29RDAC" would be the perfect match for this speakers, But again the Budget would have gone up by another 7k. For Now I would say these speakers can give a tough competition to many Hi End Speakers within a Price tag of 50 to 60k.

Now sharing some Photos of built journey.
View attachment 61724
View attachment 61725
A Tea Break--- ;)
View attachment 61726
Back To Work Now.
View attachment 61727
View attachment 61728
View attachment 61729

The Drivers are mounted and are ready for taking measurements to create FRD and ZMA files. The tweeter seen in the below photo is a car tweeter, later it was changed and all measurements were done again with dayton tweeter. I do not have the photo with dayton tweeter so for a reference purpose this photo will work.
View attachment 61730
Getting the measurements. many of you point out regarding the reflections caused by walls, to overcome this i have done gated response and generated FRD files.
View attachment 61731
Final Outcome
View attachment 61733
View attachment 61734
View attachment 61732

A recorded video for reference
MTM - Test Track

Hope you all will enjoy the video and the built journey as well.

Awesome to see your build posts again after quite some time. :)

@sadik imo the enclosure looks over damped by PUF for a vented enclosure. But you mention that the bass is very nice. I suggest you measure the impedance to tune the port and adjust the PUF / port to get two peaks of the same amplitude. The first peak will be woofer resonance and second box resonance. The trick is to get both at the same.amplitude.

@sadik imo the enclosure looks over damped by PUF for a vented enclosure. But you mention that the bass is very nice. I suggest you measure the impedance to tune the port and adjust the PUF / port to get two peaks of the same amplitude. The first peak will be woofer resonance and second box resonance. The trick is to get both at the same.amplitude.

Thankyou Hari Bhai for your valued comment I will surely take care of same in my another project. Right now these speakers are singing at the owners house and he is enjoying it a lot.

Sadik, your humility and attention to detail are top notch, in that order.

Looking forward to more superb projects from you.

Requesting you to keep sharing these beautiful creations with us.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back