MUBI goes Indian, folks!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Criterion Channel works without VPN in India guess they need it only for sign up. Criterion offers a whole lot more than Mubi with TCM classics and extra features/ movie shorts thrown in.

Current thirty + Library.

As of now, you can access library films only on the web. iOS and Android apps will support it in the near future, but other devices may take a while.

True that. It’s 30 (World)+30(Indian) movies. And so many of them are good, it’s tough to watch them all. I haven’t even gotten to the library yet. Guess I’d do that only to watch what I missed in the first chance when they showed in the Current section.

Thanks a lot @SachinChavan . Just what I was looking for ! Netfilx is becoming tiresome :/

Signed up for a thirty day trial.Can we watch the films in the library or is our choice restricted to the current thirty in the now showing list?

I am glad for those of you are trying out/ signing up. MUBI is a deserving effort that could take all the support it can!

Criterion Channel works without VPN in India guess they need it only for sign up. Criterion offers a whole lot more than Mubi with TCM classics and extra features/ movie shorts thrown in.

I shall try them out when they launch in India. Some other FMs have also written about their good experience with CC abroad. MUBI is well-differentiated from other platforms through its focus on ‘discovering good cinema... no matter where/whom it comes from’ and not using popularity as a criterion. It’s an acquired taste. I don’t look at myself as a paying consumer when I think of MUBI (unlike Prime/Netflix etc). I feel a sense of fraternity with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

The apps are available only in the US and Canada App stores. So, even if you use a VPN to sign up, I guess you still need a US-based App account to get their iOS/Android/Android TV app.

Yes! Based on what I am told, there is no geographical restriction once you've signed up. But, Vimeo is not as refined as Netflix and tends to run into buffering issues from time to time (It was there in the initial days and also during the recent COVID-19 lockdown).

No doubt! Criterion Channel has depth. The library currently has 2100 titles including shorts and documentaries. Unlike Netflix, where I still cannot figure out the list of titles leaving Netflix, Criterion Channel clearly shows the list of titles expiring by the end of the month as well as new titles added this month. Further, it has the advantage of curated collections. It would be great to explore all (available) films of a director, for instance. I see only two downsides. First, unless you prepare a watch list, you can suffer from selection paralysis. Second, it would be the digital equivalent of 'Hotel California'. You can sign up at any time you want, but you can never leave ;).

Last time I asked them, they were in no hurry to launch CC in India. When they do, the downside is that the library available here would be different from whatever is available right now in the US. I hope they launch it soon though at an attractive subscription rate.

Mubi's primary selection is more 'inde' (at least in the World section). It does a good job of introducing me to new directors I might not have heard otherwise. The overall experience isn't always great, but it quenches my curiosity.
  • This 30 includes shorts and documentaries, some of which are good. If not for them, would I have known about the Sudanese film industry ("Talking about Trees"), the Chinese Anti-Rightist cleanup of 1957 (Wang Bing's 9-hour epic "Dead Souls"), the issues at Brenner pass ("The Border fence")?
  • Apart from this, we get fresh titles from time to time - "Ema", "Beanpole" and "The Portrait of a Lady on Fire" recently.
  • Of late, I see many popular/well-known English titles making their way into the 30 ("Tootsie", "Sicario", "Bottle Rocket", "Super Bad" right now). On the one hand, this is good because it frees me for a day. On the other, it is taking the place of some other new film I might have explored.
The addition of the library is a welcome relief for people like me. They have added more films to the library compared to the launch date. Mubi Library does have some content that is not available on CC - Lav Diaz and Krzysztof Zanussi as far as I know. The rest of the stuff comes from whatever was in their 30 a while back. At least, there's no pressure of watching anything before the expiry date :)

Is Mubi better than CC? I don't think so. But, it sure can help us tide over until CC officially launches in India and even then, can serve as a complementary service to CC.

The apps are available only in the US and Canada App stores. So, even if you use a VPN to sign up, I guess you still need a US-based App account to get their iOS/Android/Android TV app.

I use it on Firestick, pretty easy workaround to get the app from Amazon US/Canada store
The app updates itself even after you change it to your local Amazon store.

Current thirty + Library.

As of now, you can access library films only on the web. iOS and Android apps will support it in the near future, but other devices may take a while.
@esantosh
Can we stream it to Sony Smart TV (Android), or is available only on Hand held devices like the Mobile phone and pads ?

@jayantadak,

Mubi has an app for Android TV devices. I usually watch it using Shield or Fire TV.

I've not tried casting library content from PC to TV/Shield yet!

@mr_grump5,

Thanks. I will try this tomorrow. Do you have any such information for downloading the App on to Shield?

My MUBI profile with ratings and reviews:

Please share yours... so we can connect over MUBI.

Wow! The good has gotten better. Library + New daily additions will provide the right amount of “decision paralysis” to keep me hooked :D
Now, I’m having a genuine itch to ditch CC and switch to MUBI :)

From yesterday that the Apple TV MUBI app is also showing Library! So can play movies from library directly from Apple TV. The iOS app (not my preferred device for movies) doesn’t seem to have it yet though.

From yesterday that the Apple TV MUBI app is also showing Library! So can play movies from library directly from Apple TV. The iOS app (not my preferred device for movies) doesn’t seem to have it yet though.
Thanks, Sachin :)
I've been binge-ing on Criterion content for the past 8-9 months and have now put it on a long-pause as I need to catch up on some TV shows on Netflix (Broadchurch, Dark & Mindhunter) and several good movies which have come to Prime/Netflix in this period. I'll definitely be trying out Mubi after completing this backlog (hopefully within the next 3 months) :)

Thanks, Sachin :)
I've been binge-ing on Criterion content for the past 8-9 months and have now put it on a long-pause as I need to catch up on some TV shows on Netflix (Broadchurch, Dark & Mindhunter) and several good movies which have come to Prime/Netflix in this period. I'll definitely be trying out Mubi after completing this backlog (hopefully within the next 3 months) :)

Phew, you are more voracious than me! :D

Offer of 3 months for Rs 99 only.
Offer until 15th April.
That’s a wonderful opportunity for those sitting on the fence. I can vouch that for Indian viewers interested in watching meaningful Indian and world cinema, this is the most gratifying OTT platform available today.

Anyone else facing buffering issues on Mubi? For the last one month it's been a regular occurrence for me. Other services like Netflix, Prime and Criterion Channel works fine. I hope they add some extra capacity to serve the new customers they keep adding. If they're not going to fix it, this'll be my last month

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back