MUBI goes Indian, folks!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Anyone else facing buffering issues on Mubi? For the last one month it's been a regular occurrence for me. Other services like Netflix, Prime and Criterion Channel works fine. I hope they add some extra capacity to serve the new customers they keep adding. If they're not going to fix it, this'll be my last month
Yes , Mubi has huge buffering issues , most noticeably on PS4. It’s better on Firestick 4K though not 100% perfect like Netflix. On iPads they run ok.
I contacted Mubi support and they were unable to help.

Anyone else facing buffering issues on Mubi? For the last one month it's been a regular occurrence for me. Other services like Netflix, Prime and Criterion Channel works fine. I hope they add some extra capacity to serve the new customers they keep adding. If they're not going to fix it, this'll be my last month
Yes , Mubi has huge buffering issues , most noticeably on PS4. It’s better on Firestick 4K though not 100% perfect like Netflix. On iPads they run ok.

Yes. It's pretty much unusable nowadays. I'm facing issues on firestick and browser, even at the lowest quality setting. Yet to check on iPad.

I did. And so did another FM I checked with. Write to the support and they would make some changes for you at the server end. That sorted it out for us both.

I did. And so did another FM I checked with. Write to the support and they would make some changes for you at the server end. That sorted it out for us both.
I had contacted support and it worked for a few days post messaging them. However, the issues started cropping back in a week's time. I think this is not an isolated issue (a quick search shows many users complaining in the Mubi subreddit about buffering issues and slower than usual connection speeds to Mubi servers) and primarily due to lack of capacity to support the higher loads at peak hours.

Oh i never knew it was good, thanks for your feedback above. I remember seeing it on timesprime as well but ignored it.

1.Does it have 4k content or only 1080p,i know that's not it's usp still checking to set the fire stick settings on my projector.
2.How many screens can use it in parallel?
3.Is their a family sharing price different from the overall price

I had contacted support and it worked for a few days post messaging them. However, the issues started cropping back in a week's time. I think this is not an isolated issue (a quick search shows many users complaining in the Mubi subreddit about buffering issues and slower than usual connection speeds to Mubi servers) and primarily due to lack of capacity to support the higher loads at peak hours.
You are right. Only tablets and mobiles they work fine seemingly , but on Firestick and PS4 it is a big issue.

Oh i never knew it was good, thanks for your feedback above. I remember seeing it on timesprime as well but ignored it.

1.Does it have 4k content or only 1080p,i know that's not it's usp still checking to set the fire stick settings on my projector.
The highest quality is capped at 1080p (HD). But, not all films are available at that resolution. Some International films and restorations I watched were in 480p. You'll be able to see the resolution on the film listing (as in below screenshot). If nothing is mentioned, it is probably at a lower resolution. You should be able to use with multiple screens using the individual plan without any issue. I've tried with 2 TVs and iPad and never faced any trouble.

1618293076122.pngScreenshot 2021-04-13 11.18.45 AM.png

Hi

I think you should check out the content once before jumping on it. Mubi focuses exclusively on parallel \ alternative cinema , various film festival favourites (Locarno / Cannes / Sundance etc ) and retrospectives of auteurs of classic cinema ( recently it showcased Guru Dutt , Rohmer and Melville). You will not get any commercial or mainstream masala films here(although one or two does sneak past in the Indian section ).

I think you should check out the content once before jumping on it
There was an attractive test offer going on. Check a few posts above.

You will not get any commercial or mainstream masala films here(although one or two does sneak past in the Indian section ).
Especially Tamil movies. Every time that happens I register my protest on their social media pages/messenger. But having said that, I can’t think of substituting MUBI as the primary OTT movie platform for me with any other available in India today. I find Prime the next best, especially in the way it showcases new directors with relatable cinema. Netflix is probably the worst for anyone seeking parallel/meaningful/art content.

You are right. Only tablets and mobiles they work fine seemingly , but on Firestick and PS4 it is a big issue.

I can report the resolution works for me on Apple TV.

But yes, like some other FMs, I too feel they are facing server/bandwidth constraints having ramped up their subscriptions recently. In almost four years of my use, I never before faced streaming issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I saw the test offer post , but without a clear expectation of what’s on offer it would be puerile to jump on the bandwagon. Mubi caters to a very niche audience and is the next best alternative to Criterion streaming which is still to launch in India. I would hate for it to change its current curation taste to cater to masses. For me Mubi has played a big part in reducing my dependency on ratio based private trackers like Karagarga (although it still remains the gold standard for classic cinema repository anywhere on the net. )

but without a clear expectation of what’s on offer it would be puerile to jump on the bandwagon
That’s the whole idea of trials - to gain clarity on what’s on offer while paying only a fraction of the normal subscription. As for an overall idea of the content, it’s in the tagline of the MUBi app: “curated streaming of award-winning films” which anyone who isn’t a child can understand.

Request FMs to limit the discussion on this thread to the official MUBi platform and not discuss/refer to any sharing platforms/technologies that might not be legal in the land.

Thanks, Sachin :)
I've been binge-ing on Criterion content for the past 8-9 months and have now put it on a long-pause as I need to catch up on some TV shows on Netflix (Broadchurch, Dark & Mindhunter) and several good movies which have come to Prime/Netflix in this period. I'll definitely be trying out Mubi after completing this backlog (hopefully within the next
Well I was able to sideload the apk file to my firestick and it works fine. I just wanted confirmation that does CC work without VPN after signing on?

I am unable to search for content in MUBI any pointers how to go about it

Well I was able to sideload the apk file to my firestick and it works fine. I just wanted confirmation that does CC work without VPN after signing on?
The content on CC has no geo-restriction as of now. You should be able to access without a VPN. But, you need to first create an account from US/Canada and use that to sign in here. You can ask a friend/relative over there to do it for you.

I am unable to search for content in MUBI any pointers how to go about it
MUBI app on Firestick has a 'search' icon that doesn't search :). It's an average experience on Firestick. The only workaround would be to install the app on your phone/iPad and use the search option in it to add the movies you like to your watch list. The same should appear on TV with a minor lag. That is better than endlessly scrolling through 100s of titles (which is how they've designed the app)

The content on CC has no geo-restriction as of now. You should be able to access without a VPN. But, you need to first create an account from US/Canada and use that to sign in here. You can ask a friend/relative over there to do it for you.

MUBI app on Firestick has a 'search' icon that doesn't search :). It's an average experience on Firestick. The only workaround would be to install the app on your phone/iPad and use the search option in it to add the movies you like to your watch list. The same should appear on TV with a minor lag. That is better than endlessly scrolling through 100s of titles (which is how they've designed the app)
I don't know what I did since it has been a few months since I did whatever I did. However mubi app on fire stick works just fine for me. It is not as nuanced or functional compared to Netflix but I haven't faced any issues.

I am almost certain i didn't need to sideload or anything and the app does look natively designed for the tv interface and not the mobile interface. Maybe I changed the region in Google play store and then reverted. Not sure

I don't know what I did since it has been a few months since I did whatever I did. However mubi app on fire stick works just fine for me. It is not as nuanced or functional compared to Netflix but I haven't faced any issues.

I am almost certain i didn't need to sideload or anything and the app does look natively designed for the tv interface and not the mobile interface. Maybe I changed the region in Google play store and then reverted. Not sure
The side loading which FM dillihifi mentioned was for accessing Criterion Channel app here.

Good to hear that you’re having a nice experience using Mubi on firestick. In the Mubi firestick app are you able to use the search option? It does nothing in my case. Apart from this there are intermittent issues of buffering and the app forgetting my last watched location in a movie, after a restart.

Good to hear that you’re having a nice experience using Mubi on firestick. In the Mubi firestick app are you able to use the search option? It does nothing in my case. Apart from this there are intermittent issues of buffering and the app forgetting my last watched location in a movie, after a restart.

Well the solution given by you works fine though one needs to whip out the phone and then add it to the watchlist :). Well many of sabhana azmi/satyajit ray movies in mubi are also available on prime too. So far the no buffering issues, etc however the ui is rudimentary. Let me try it out - started watching the three colours series (i got DVDs for these movies around 15yrs back and never got tired of it), Charulata (Satyajit Ray) and a few others. I generally finish a movie in 2-3 days and watch the genre as per the mood therefore there are a few movies which are being watched concurrently. Lets see how this goes.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back