multiroom usage for HT+audio system for HTIB

sam

hi

i am a bid confused....i need a HT which i'll keep in my BR...plus also want to take the system to my LR for my music as i move out....

folks say most of these HTIB are fixed and cant be moved..

any option where system is bit flexible/portable to carry.

cheers sam

Only a Soundbar will give the HT FX and be mobile too, but seriously will not compare to a genuine HT System and will be quite expensive too.

you can checkout yamaha sound projectors for prtable use that sounds very good as a full 5.1 system speaker package. and if you wish want add a sub for more room filling bass, you can add it later as for room requirement.

Jeevabobby and Moser, sound projectors are speakers and need power,right? So how can you just move the sound projector and expect it to play without any juice?

In my mind, the only option is an AVR that has Zone 2 playing capabilities.

Cheers

Jeevabobby and Moser, sound projectors are speakers and need power,right? So how can you just move the sound projector and expect it to play without any juice?

Cheers

Venkatji,

I meant a sound bar that comes with an inbuilt amplifier. Philips even comes with an DVDP inbuilt.

hi

i am a bid confused....i need a HT which i'll keep in my BR...plus also want to take the system to my LR for my music as i move out....

folks say most of these HTIB are fixed and cant be moved..

any option where system is bit flexible/portable to carry.

cheers sam

As far as to concern for your option where the system is bit flexible/portable to carry without any reconnection.

If you make provision for a 5.1 home theatre setup, both in your living room and bed room. You have to purchase two sets of 5.1 speaker packages installed in the two rooms as per your requirement.
and one decent AVR (you carry it and connect it whenever you get out from the bedroom and reconnect the AVR to the living room).

In this case, there are many disadvantages, your budget will go higher for two sets of 5.1 speaker packages and for two sets of 5.1 speaker cabling wires and installation, if the budget is not a problem for you, then you can go for two sets of speaker packages and a AVR. This will be the best as venkatcr sir told.

But, still you a have problem in connecting the AVR very easily and quickly. Its pretty much more problematic and waste of time in disconnecting the 5.1 speaker wiring from the AVR and then carry the AVR from the bedroom to the living room, then sitting back to the AVR and reconnecting the AVR will be very much frustrated and it will take more time as i said above. At the time you finish the connections of the AVR in your living room, you have some important work waiting from your wife to do.( it just happens in the family ).
you have to go for the super market, as your wife will be giving provisional list to purchase. So, you will lose much of your time, and your listening session will be carried away to next day.

so, you just buy a decent dvd player or stand alone cd player as u wish, not just one player, but two. One for your living room and second one for your bed room. This will help you in terms of connecting quickly only one device at the time where you want to use it.

The only option is to go for a sound projector. You can carry it very easily and you dont have to worry about two sets 5.1 speaker wirings in your living room and bed room. Just disconnect the sound projector from the dvd player from the bed room and reconnect the sound projector to the dvd player in the living room. It will not take more time nor more cost for you and lots of time will be saved for your listening session.

But, the room should not be sound proofed or acoustically treated. By, this manner the sounds coming out from the sound projector will be absorbed by the sound proof materials. so, dont use any sound proof materials. Just the normal bare walls will do the trick for 5.1 sound.

Venkatji,

I meant a sound bar that comes with an inbuilt amplifier. Philips even comes with an DVDP inbuilt.

Yes as moserw said, philips also has built-in dvdplayer in their sound projectors. Its also a nice option for you, this will help you not to buy two players for the two rooms as i said. its another option by moserw. Good idea moserw. Thank him sam.

cheers.

For ease of use and decent sound, I would recommend powered speakers over zone 2 capabilities or sound bars (which is an all in one really). The sound bars have average quality and cannot match up the powered speakers quality as I write this.

Thanks. I was not aware that such units are available. Shall check it out.

Cheers

You can check out at Philips Arena in mount road and trust me you will see a very very uncanny similarity between Yamaha bars and Philips and they sound the same ;)

Here is the link:
Philips - SoundBars - Sound and vision - Home theatre

Sam: Venkat has given the correct suggestion, get a a AVR capable of zone 2, install a 5.1 in bedroom and 2.0 in your living.

Cheers

Saab Ji, What is Zone 2 ?...........................

Saab Ji, What is Zone 2 ?...........................

Zone 1 is your basic 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Zone 2/3 is additional setups

i_powered3_01_la.jpg

For your need, your bedroom where you need the HT setup, we call it zone 1. The living room where you want the music setup is zone 2.

So what we mean here is, you can get a Zone 2 capable receiver like Onkyo 606: ( Onkyo TX-SR606 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products ).

Using this receiver you can setup a 7.1 in your bedroom. Then connect the zone 2 output from the receiver to you 2.0 music speaker setup in your living room. You can infact operate both at the same time, as in your wifey can be watching her movie and you can shut the door and listen to music in your living :). Onkyo 606 comes with powered zone 2 so you dont need a seperate amplifier for the zone 2. But a seperate amp will make a lot of difference in SQ.

This is the typical setup for you. But, if you need a SQ setup, then you need to invest in two separate systems :) bcos all AVRs are not great in music handling. They are usually tuned more for movies.

If you are not too much a movie guys, my suggestion:

1. Get a Philips 4750 for 20k for you bedroom
2. Get a good 2 channel amp (NAD, CA, Cambridge etc), good a CDP, and a good floor standing speakers

Total BLISS.

Last edited:
Zone 1 is your basic 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Zone 2/3 is additional setups

i_powered3_01_la.jpg

For your need, your bedroom where you need the HT setup, we call it zone 1. The living room where you want the music setup is zone 2.

So what we mean here is, you can get a Zone 2 capable receiver like Onkyo 606: ( Onkyo TX-SR606 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products ).

Using this receiver you can setup a 7.1 in your bedroom. Then connect the zone 2 output from the receiver to you 2.0 music speaker setup in your living room. You can infact operate both at the same time, as in your wifey can be watching her movie and you can shut the door and listen to music in your living :). Onkyo 606 comes with powered zone 2 so you dont need a seperate amplifier for the zone 2. But a seperate amp will make a lot of difference in SQ.

This is the typical setup for you. But, if you need a SQ setup, then you need to invest in two separate systems :) bcos all AVRs are not great in music handling. They are usually tuned more for movies.

If you are not too much a movie guys, my suggestion:

1. Get a Philips 4750 for 20k for you bedroom
2. Get a good 2 channel amp (NAD, CA, Cambridge etc), good a CDP, and a good floor standing speakers

Total BLISS.

That was very informative ....So this kind of receivers are capable of handling two sound source(Movies+ Musics) at same time right ?.

Last edited:
That was very informative ....So this kind of receivers are capable of handling two sound source(Movies+ Musics) at same time right ?.

Yes, they are. But there are some compromises:

There are two ways of connecting Zone 2 speakers:

1. Connect them directly to the AVR Receiver
2. Connect them to another amp in Zone 2.

In the first option, the AVR will switch to a 5.1 setup in the main room and a 2-channel set up in the second room (Zone 2). Both are with different sources. This is called 'Powered' Zone 2. When you switch off the powered Zone 2, the Zone 2 goes back to 7.1.

In the second option you can have 7.1 in Zone 1 and a 2-channel stereo in Zone 2, both with different sources.

Cheers

Yes sir they do. But these receiver though powered might not drive your speakers that well. So if you are particular about SQ, you might want to add a amp to the 2 speakers as well.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back