Murthy's Cables ( tools & trades ) bangalore

Please let me know what values we need to look at?
1. Looks - the better it looks, the better it will sound. If shiny, it sounds even better.
2. Size - the thicker it is, the better it will sound.
3. Name - if there is "Nano" in the name it sounds better. "Quantum"? Even better sounding.
4. Packaging - if it comes packed in a wooden box which is laser engraved with the name [#3 above], it WILL sound better. If it just comes wrapped in just bubble wrap, it will sound like crap!

;)

After 9+ years of extensive research, building, tweaking with various materials, geometry, dielectrics, polarization and length, I am now very close to complete my dream interconnects for my setup by this weekend. Don't know as of now how they shall turn out to be, but for sure it won't be same or similar to any known designs used or available commercially at an affordable cost.

The key important parameters for my IC cables are,
- low capacitance around 30 pF for 1/4th Fulton length
- low self inductance for 1/4th Fulton length.
- Try and achieve a characteristic impedance of around 44 ohms be which is required by my CD player termination for maximum power transfer without reflection to source.
- not to reference the RF/EMI noise to equipment ground to reduce noise floor.

I am expecting some supplies by this weekend to assist me in building this wire. Will post images later.
Thanks for looking.

I accept that there could be a difference between a very bad wire/cable and something a little better say between silk wire and some decent power cord.

Beyond that it is in one's mind, and having paid a lot of money one will naturally see the virtues.

Power of branding! Look up "Veblen Goods"

1. Looks - the better it looks, the better it will sound. If shiny, it sounds even better.
2. Size - the thicker it is, the better it will sound.
3. Name - if there is "Nano" in the name it sounds better. "Quantum"? Even better sounding.
4. Packaging - if it comes packed in a wooden box which is laser engraved with the name [#3 above], it WILL sound better. If it just comes wrapped in just bubble wrap, it will sound like crap!

;)
You forgot the cost!

I came across this thread from the Audio Science Review site related to cables and measurements. Enjoy!

The best comment I heard about cables somewhere was this:
"constipated electrons (they don't give a sh!t)"
:p

For me, his power cable was solidly built, but didn't bring much impact on the sound. How about his interconnects.? How does it fare? Any user experience?
The thing with cables is: if you listen to them and you want to hear a difference, you will hear a difference. If someone blindfolds you and asks you to say which one is which you won't be able to recognise it. It's magic.

The thing with cables is: if you listen to them and you want to hear a difference, you will hear a difference. If someone blindfolds you and asks you to say which one is which you won't be able to recognise it. It's magic.
Depends. On entry level to mid fi systems speaker cables usually dont bring noticeable differences . But on high end and luxury setups cables are known to bring noticeable differences (note I haven't mentioned improvement , rather differences ) that are perceptible.

I have an entry level system and was using cambridge audio 13A power cord and recently I change the power cable with the one made by Mr Murthy and could hear the difference ordered couple more for dcb1 and other stuffs

one has to use them and do AB comparison with stock cables,only then one can conclude.
i did the same with my friends Murthy cables on my Denon AVR & XTZ sub & to me the difference is amazing.

I think this thread is going very off topic, with unnecessary trolling and selling some other products. It will be good if people can stick to the specific maker of cables and their reviews (good or bad) of the same so others can decide whether they want to use or not use his products.

For me, his power cable was solidly built, but didn't bring much impact on the sound. How about his interconnects.? How does it fare? Any user experience?

I have his power cables , like you did not notice any differences changing the power cable. However cannot say the same about interconnects , they are really good for the price. To quote an example I had a demo of the Indiq Platinum Achal with amazon basic RCA cables , the lows were almost not present , presentation also was little dull and then we changed to Murthy's RCA and the very perceptible difference was in much better lows and the overall presentation seemed much better.

For most of my speaker/RCA cable changes I found that changes in lows were pretty easy to identify (if any) , mids (some seemed a little laidback whereas some as expected, did not change much and could be placebo too) and treble getting hotter/smooth to the ears (easier to notice) , staging & seperation (could notice differences but again not very prominent).

Depends. On entry level to mid fi systems speaker cables usually dont bring noticeable differences . But on high end and luxury setups cables are known to bring noticeable differences (note I haven't mentioned improvement , rather differences ) that are perceptible.
Mostly loudness variations due to cable length differences. On volume matching they are nil

Keith
The reason it seems two cores are used is because the tinned copper cable is only 0.75 sq mm - it would need to be doubled up to carry a higher amount of current

The two runs are simply running parrallel and taped by electrical tape

The braid fundamental does not apply in power cables if that is what you are thinking

Two runs are simply used because thicker gauge tinned cabke is unavavibe
(I too could find the same gauge in market not thicker )

P.s since you like tear downs
Here are some tear down pics
Of another power cable

This one is from a Mr Ali in mumbai

This is a professional higher end dedicated power cable with shield
Dual shield
Aluminium foil plus copper tinned braid
Each core is 2.5mm sq
Of occ copper

The cable is from a manufacturer - jinwei based in Taiwan ( who claims to be OEM to the real biggies in the cable game)
I think the model number is there in the pic

The raw cable is inthink 14$ per metre

Considering you can get this cable from ALI for 2000 rs odd
And 2300 rs if you opt for a 6$ hubbel copper IEC
This cable seems to offer far more "Value " than any cable
OCC power cable @ 2K/3K ?
you get plenty of these OCC and OFC cables in China with whatever brand you want, mostly Furutech. The real OCC will cost much much more.
Ultimately if you like your Cable which ever brand that’s the real thing.
Also depends on the system you are using in. If the system is good and poor cables are used, it won’t get you desired results.

I have his power cables , like you did not notice any differences changing the power cable. However cannot say the same about interconnects , they are really good for the price. To quote an example I had a demo of the Indiq Platinum Achal with amazon basic RCA cables , the lows were almost not present , presentation also was little dull and then we changed to Murthy's RCA and the very perceptible difference was in much better lows and the overall presentation seemed much better.

For most of my speaker/RCA cable changes I found that changes in lows were pretty easy to identify (if any) , mids (some seemed a little laidback whereas some as expected, did not change much and could be placebo too) and treble getting hotter/smooth to the ears (easier to notice) , staging & seperation (could notice differences but again not very prominent).
How much Mr. Murthy charges for his RCA now a days? I might get it from him once the IndiqAudio Amp and Speakers.

INTERCONNECT Price 6months back:
Cable =Rs400/- Per Meter
+ Connectors 1) Rs.650/- Each
2)Rs.480/- "
For 1.5m RCA pair with Rs.650 connectors
3x400+4×650= 3800+ courier

Are these different kinds of interconnects he offers and what exactly is the difference between them?

Guys.. shall we get to the point? What makes murthy's cable better? Is it the cable, connector, joint, solder, shielding, packing, life? Or is there anything which is apart from these?
This is nowhere a question to undermine Mr Murthy or his profession. An engineering perspective. I have seen some teardowns of his power cable, and they were... Ordinary. (2 strands each of tinned copper cable for line and neutral and an uncoated one for earth in a sleeve) please let me know if I'm missing any point..!

I would like to share my experience ( happy ) with Mr.Murthy , who helped me in choosing the right cable which is also cost effective .

After upgrading my speakers and amplifier , I found the sound is thin and harsh compared to the previous setup and was really un-happy with it . I never was a believer of the cables that it could bring in significant improvement and was using the Rs 200 interconnect and ProFx cables for the speakers. I was blaming it on the source ( which was a cheap DAC ) and wanted to test with the good CD player and tried it with Exposure CD and again it was a dis-appointment with the somewhat harsh and strong upper-mid sound which was not musical

Later at home , a friend loaned me a Linn K20 Speaker cable and a better interconnect ( un-brand) , to my surprise it was much better , smooth ( mellow ) and more listenable . That was the first instance when i started to believe in Speaker cables .

Then decided to buy the speaker cable from the Dealer in Bangalore and the price quoted was 10 times more compared to UK price for the Linn K20 ( Rs 4000 for a mtr ) which is actually 5 pounds in UK and much cheaper options with the used cable in ebay.uk including the shipping . So was looking at ebay.uk and that was the time i got the number of Mr.Murthy from another Audiophile friend .

I talked to Mr.Murthy and shared my setup details and he said he will send the cables and interconnect to my address and asked me to try before i buy it . He did not even ask for any advance security payment . In the next week , i got the cable/and interconnect which is of good build quality , but to my dis-appointment it did not sound as good as the LinnK20 . then from the internet forums , the kind of amp ( naim and exposure ) that i have should have comparatively higher inductance that the normal and that is why Linn and Nac cables are recommended for Naim and Exposure Amp . I discussed this with Mr.Murthy and he said he will make one more cable and send it to me ( according to these spec ) .

Finally i got the new cable and when tested against the Linn , i found it even better and more musical . I am happy with this cable and the overall interaction Mr.Murthy and strongly recommend him for any speaker cables / interconnect . In my case i Compared it with the branded cable and could see the improvement over it and also cost effective compared to the Indian price of branded cables . I still don't understand why the Indian price is 10 times expensive , please don't fall for the trap of branded cable unless you get it for reasonable price .

Mr . Murthy cable look and build and sound quality is better compared to branded Linn . As i type , i am yet to transfer the money to him ( ~Rs 3000 for cables ) , during all of these experiment Murthy sent several times different cables purely based on trust with no pressure on buying , and to add on to that i never met him in person before , this really a hard to find quality in these days .

Update : As some of the forum members asked , shared the mobile number here

Mr Murhty Mobile : 9972268301

one important lesson learnt : Expensive cables need not necessarily be good sounding one . As part of the experiment , once I paired my speaker with the Ribbon type speaker cable (dont remember the brand , but expensive one in SoundOfMusic , Bangalore ) with my Amplifier and found half for the frequency reproduction was gone . But the same cable sounded good with Vienna Speakers and electroComp Monoblocks . So I think, the matching is more important.
very interesting sir

Back