Musical Fidelity tempest Vs Marantz PM5004

rocksteady

Ive just ordered myself a wharfedale dia 10.1. The amp options available is a 10+ year old MF tempest or a brand new marantz PM5004. As an absolute newbie, it would be great if you audiophiles can help me choose :)

I have heard the speakers on the MF and also a Sugden, but not on Marantz. Any clue/help is highly appreciated!

The obvious advice would be to listen to both amps with your speakers and make a decision. I am not sure there have been significant advances in solid state electronics in the last decade, however, I would be inclined to go with a new Marantz which would also be covered under warranty.

I haven't heard the MF Tempest, and from a google scan it doesn't appear to be a "legendary" amp, like a Titan from the MF stable, for example. So I am not sure why you are particularly interested in this specific (old) amp? If something goes wrong, can it be fixed today?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back