Musical Fidelity tempest Vs Marantz PM5004

rocksteady

Ive just ordered myself a wharfedale dia 10.1. The amp options available is a 10+ year old MF tempest or a brand new marantz PM5004. As an absolute newbie, it would be great if you audiophiles can help me choose :)

I have heard the speakers on the MF and also a Sugden, but not on Marantz. Any clue/help is highly appreciated!

The obvious advice would be to listen to both amps with your speakers and make a decision. I am not sure there have been significant advances in solid state electronics in the last decade, however, I would be inclined to go with a new Marantz which would also be covered under warranty.

I haven't heard the MF Tempest, and from a google scan it doesn't appear to be a "legendary" amp, like a Titan from the MF stable, for example. So I am not sure why you are particularly interested in this specific (old) amp? If something goes wrong, can it be fixed today?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back