Must NOT watch movies

Don't know how many of you agree, but "Madras Cafe" was a huge disappointment. It was silly for me. Kicking myself for going to the theater.
Same with "Vishwaroopam" - everything about this movie pissed me off. The background chant during action scenes, the silly lady (Kamal's wife in the movie) - if there was an award for the most irritating character this would be it, the fat terrorist (Kamal). Started good but turned utterly silly and stupid quickly.

Don't know how many of you agree, but "Madras Cafe" was a huge disappointment. It was silly for me. Kicking myself for going to the theater.
Same with "Vishwaroopam" - everything about this movie pissed me off. The background chant during action scenes, the silly lady (Kamal's wife in the movie) - if there was an award for the most irritating character this would be it, the fat terrorist (Kamal). Started good but turned utterly silly and stupid quickly.

Viswaroopam and by seeing it you pissed off.You must be a kamal hater for sure.
Didn't you like the action sequences and odissy dance by kamal.The picturization and sets done in the film.The kamal's american house and the deserts of afghanistan are done as sets in chennai .They came with real sand from afghanistan and created a desert location here in chennai.Many scenes were cut and dumbed sound in some places.so the continuity might be missing .Who said terrorist wont be fat.Didn't you appreciate the acting of Rahul Bose.So many hi points are there,you are saying about bg chanting .By the way i'm not ordinant fan of Kamal.

Viswaroopam and by seeing it you pissed off.You must be a kamal hater for sure.
Didn't you like the action sequences and odissy dance by kamal.The picturization and sets done in the film.The kamal's american house and the deserts of afghanistan are done as sets in chennai .They came with real sand from afghanistan and created a desert location here in chennai.Many scenes were cut and dumbed sound in some places.so the continuity might be missing .Who said terrorist wont be fat.Didn't you appreciate the acting of Rahul Bose.So many hi points are there,you are saying about bg chanting .By the way i'm not ordinant fan of Kamal.
I'm a huge fan of Kamal as an actor - who can forget Nayagan, Indian etc and even the recent Kannada movie Rama Shama Bhama (a great movie if someone hasn't watched - Kamal's role as the goofy doc speaking north karnataka accented Kannada is epic. Never fails to leave me in splits after watching countless times).
But that won't make me like Vishwaroopam. I guess to each his own.

Last edited:

I don't know about 'Vishwaroopam' as I haven't watched it; but 'Madras Cafe' is The Best Hindi movie I have watched this year. It was the most indulging and a no-nonsense movie from a Bollywood director. I'm looking forward to more such movies in Bollywood, where story is not ruined due to inclusion of silly songs and unnecessarily comic sequences!! Far ahead of all the nonsense of Rowdy Rathore, Chennai Express etc.
In my opinion, 'Madras Cafe' is one of the best movies of Indian Cinema, Period!

IMO, I agree the story content was a bit nerve cutting, but what is interesting was the reverse chronology of story telling by Gaspar Noe, similar to movies like Memento and Betrayal.

cheers.

Another hard movie to watch, but I like Gaspar Noe's story-telling.'I stand Alone' is also a very good movie (Seul contre tous). I think although the films are in French the director is Argentinian.

Matrubhoomi. It is a social movie and an attempt at dark comedy, but way too dark and bleak. As such, it is not a bad movie but a very disturbing one. It is ironical that it is probably even happening in some parts of India.

I wish to nominate Asin's role for that award for the movie Dasavatharam. Even more irritating.

Watched Vishwaroopam only recently. Agreed its quite average and not certainly Kamal's best output.

What I liked
Kamal's acting, esp. as the dance master
Cinematography
Scenes of Afghanistan
Bomb blast in apartment
Sound effects

What I disliked
Almost everything else
Poor CG (choppers/ Kamal's face patch up during training)
Silly comedies
Predictable Plot
Climax

I'm a huge fan of Kamal as an actor - who can forget Nayagan, Indian etc and even the recent Kannada movie Rama Shama Bhama (a great movie if someone hasn't watched - Kamal's role as the goofy doc speaking north karnataka accented Kannada is epic. Never fails to leave me in splits after watching countless times).
But that won't make me like Vishwaroopam. I guess to each his own.

I have seen some clips of Rama Shama Bhama and agree it must be a great movie. Ramesh should call him for a sequel :p

Bullett Raja

I wonder how the maker of Paan Singh Tomar and Sahib Biwi Gangster produced this trash

Perfectly agree.. Viswaroopam not worth the hype..and I love kamal Hassan.. Not a hater.. Madras cafe was outright unbelievably stupid.. I believe there was a lot of pressure on the political side to give no emphasis on the rajiv Gandhi role in sri Lanka's warfront..and it is understandable... But why the hell touch a sensitive part of histories of two countries and not do justice.. Very disappointed..

Irreversible" with Monica Belluci..one of the most severe films. I think the film was created just to let those appreciate, who must be seeking to see a Monica Belluci being raped for almost 15-20 minutes, if not more, which seemed like almost actual if not actual. I could not create any go and end of the film. May be I am too innocent.

it was one of those sadist movies. if you ever happen to watch "Salo - 120 days of Sodom" or "A Serbian Film" you will think of Irreversible as much better film :)
These films depict a darker side of humanity and are critically accliamed

it was one of those sadist movies. if you ever happen to watch "Salo - 120 days of Sodom" or "A Serbian Film" you will think of Irreversible as much better film :)
These films depict a darker side of humanity and are critically accliamed

" A serbian Film" takes the cake along with Cannibal Holocaust and few others for the most controversial movies..

and yes " a serbian film " led me into depression for sometime. It is a sick movie.

I am yet to watch 'Salo', but I still hate Irreversible more than Serbian film. Movies like 'Serbian Film' (and 'Cannibal Holocaust') are a disturbing window on to a world where humans drop their mask of civility and show us how low they can go. Even though I shudder to think what goes on inside the sick minds of the creators of that movie (n** b*** p*** makes me lose that last ounce of faith in humanity), I still think 'Serbian Film' is well made.

'Irreversible'? Didn't like it, didn't feel it. It's just a terrible movie. I would even rate the re-make of 'I spit on your grave' above it. The entire movie rests on that excruciatingly long rape scene, which seems more like a test of endurance for the audience than anything else. At least, 'I spit...' disturbed me like it's meant to.

I have seen Irreversible and while I cannot say I hated it... I cannot say I enjoyed it either.

Another movie along the same lines is No morir sola AKA I'll Never Die Alone.

I have not seen I Spit on Your Grave but have plans to.

IMHO, the graphic rape scenes are a bit too much to take... give me Charles Bronson and Death Wish any day... similar premise but its more focused on the hero becoming a vigilante and seeking revenge.

I am yet to watch 'Salo', but I still hate Irreversible more than Serbian film. Movies like 'Serbian Film' (and 'Cannibal Holocaust') are a disturbing window on to a world where humans drop their mask of civility and show us how low they can go. Even though I shudder to think what goes on inside the sick minds of the creators of that movie (n** b*** p*** makes me lose that last ounce of faith in humanity), I still think 'Serbian Film' is well made.

'Irreversible'? Didn't like it, didn't feel it. It's just a terrible movie. I would even rate the re-make of 'I spit on your grave' above it. The entire movie rests on that excruciatingly long rape scene, which seems more like a test of endurance for the audience than anything else. At least, 'I spit...' disturbed me like it's meant to.

the long and painful rape scene was the highlight of the film, read somewhere that Gaspar No wanted the audience to feel the rape, as if it was happening to them, i think he succeeds

the long and painful rape scene was the highlight of the film, read somewhere that Gaspar No wanted the audience to feel the rape, as if it was happening to them, i think he succeeds

This is what I wrote when I watched it long ago.

The first few minutes, the camera whirls, twirls, rotates and hurt my eyes. The movie is, as is to be interpreted from the title, is shown in reverse chronological order. Let's see what we get - 10 minutes of gay club antics, 5 minutes of brutal striking of a guy's face, 15 minutes of brutal rape without cuts, some party, some sex, some sex talk - you put that in the correct order, you would have a crappy movie. Sure, it's "different" and one can even feel sorry for Alex in the final few minutes, but I don't think there's anything besides Monica Bellucci in this film to interest me

I wonder if I'll feel any different now.

Night Watch .. another pathetic movie, starring the bond guy Pierce Brosnan.. It is even worse than Agent Vinod , I think.. ;)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back